Cruise Control

Slight setback. Got it all installed but well it don't work. 12 o'clock labs to the rescue. They told me how to get my Speedo DRD to tell how many PPM (Pulses per mile) the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) puts out. Ours put out average 55000PPM which is too high for the Rostra to read properly, its max 36000 something. Had to order a VSS Divider which is on its way from US. Hope it all works then.

I had a Throttlemeister on an FJR and didn't like the idea of always fiddling with it on hilly roads. I now have a $10 Cramp Buster and it works great.....easy to maintain speed and easily rotatable out of the way when you don't need it.

I have both and the combo is excellent.

Bit of an update. Another test run today and its very very close to done! Its very time consuming doing trial and error changes to the switch settings. 9 different switches with 2 possibilities each and a tank and unit removal to change each time. Anyway todays trial engaged at 110kph and it surged to 115-95 then 112-93 etc. about 5 or 6 times then settled to 110. I'm hoping that one more switch change and it will be done.

So close to finished I can taste it! Works brilliant if set on a slight uphill. Unfortunately as soon as the road goes flat or down hill, it surges. Only thing left to adjust is the slack in the cruise cable. I think its trying to work too early in the range for the cruise ie very small throttle. Hope it is just the slack. So sick of lifting the tank/airbox etc.

Any updates on the tuning Blanchy? My Brother and I just installed one on his VT1300 and now need spring weather to test. I want one on my FZ1 now so I hope you managed to get it to work on yours.

Any updates on the tuning Blanchy? My Brother and I just installed one on his VT1300 and now need spring weather to test. I want one on my FZ1 now so I hope you managed to get it to work on yours.

I had it working perfectly but recently it has developed an intermittent fault. I think the radio controller is faulty so I am waiting for a wired controller to arrive. I will take some more snaps when I fit that and write down all the switch settings that I used. Do you have an aftermarket muffler? The only place to fit the main unit is where the EXUP servo usually lives. With your Brothers unit, make sure you have exactly 1/8 inch free play on the cable, measured by removing the torq screws where the cable exits the main unit and check the gap you get with a 1/8" drill like a feeler gauge. while feeling the throttle end with your other hand for movement. No movement and 1/8" is what you want to avoid chasing a surge.

I had it working perfectly but recently it has developed an intermittent fault. I think the radio controller is faulty so I am waiting for a wired controller to arrive. I will take some more snaps when I fit that and write down all the switch settings that I used. Do you have an aftermarket muffler? The only place to fit the main unit is where the EXUP servo usually lives. With your Brothers unit, make sure you have exactly 1/8 inch free play on the cable, measured by removing the torq screws where the cable exits the main unit and check the gap you get with a 1/8" drill like a feeler gauge. while feeling the throttle end with your other hand for movement. No movement and 1/8" is what you want to avoid chasing a surge.

Not knowing Honda's models I mispoke and his bike is a ST1200 not VT. Anyway, he had an opportunity to try the cruise control and it worked great..

Where is the fun in that? I enjoy a challenge!

Hi again. I installed my rostra in my 07 FZ but I am having surge issues. It will maintain for a short bit while on an uphill and then surge enough that it kicks out. Blanchy, did you ever get a chance to write down your settings?

Hi again. I installed my rostra in my 07 FZ but I am having surge issues. It will maintain for a short bit while on an uphill and then surge enough that it kicks out. Blanchy, did you ever get a chance to write down your settings?

Somewhere in my garage. I'll have a dig around. Very important to have the cable slack exactly.

Last edited:
Back