Damage from high-side into a muddy ditch...

Hey All,
Well - it happened. Had a high-side (ouch - yes it hurt! Me, the bike and my pride) and ended up in a (thankfully) muddy ditch...me about 20 feet further up the ditch than my poor bike. thankfully also, it wasn't that fast. All s well with me, a little banged up but no worse for wear, also no one else involved.
My '13 FZ1, though, is a little damaged - I thought not bad, just real muddy in the front. But after a good washing, the damage became more clear: front cowling cracked on the left (ok, that's a pricey part, but I deserve that), but everything else seemed fine. Starts great, runs smooth, oh the gear lever (foot) is a tad bent but that's a cheap fix.
So today I say "well, let's ride her and make sure it goes down the road straight!" The answer was, yes, it goes down the road straight, but handle bars are tilted to the right about 5 degrees when going straight down the road.
My main question - something tells me this is not going to be as simple a fix as in an automobile where if your steering wheel gets off center, when you get the car aligned they can adjust all that easily. In other words, are my forks 'bent'? I cannot tell from eyeballing it just what the situation is, and was hoping someone on the forum had some advice.
I fear taking it in to the dealer as these are the same folks who told me it "could cost up to $178(!)" for my first, 600 mile, oil change "depending on what the bike needed." Depending on what the bike needed?? It needed an oil/filter change. I ended up doing the oil change at 600 miles myself for $40 and 30 minutes of my time (Mobil1 4T on sale at Autozone and a Fram filter from same). Given that experience, I am extremely hesitant to put the bike in their clutches.
Any advice on how to proceed? Is this doable myself or does one need special 'jigs' or something? If I do take it somewhere, what's too much to pay (again, all damage appears to b e front end - tire is not even flat).
Thanks,all.

Sorry to hear about your off but glad you're OK!

The front *could* be an easy fix. What you need to do is loosen the top triple clamp bolts only, not the bottom triple. Put the front wheel up against a solid wall like a cement or brick all, then bounce the front (compress the forks) as hard as you can while holding the tire against the wall with the front brake. Now back off, tighten the top triple bolts to torque specs, then test ride to see if it is straight. If not, you may have to put the front up off the ground and loosen the bottom triple clamping bolts with the top and work the wheel back to straight.

When I had my ditch crash the bars were bent and the dealer had to do a front end alignment. Sounds like yours may be similar. Glad your OK. Ditches still hurt when you crash into them.

First off, at least your ok !
As FZ1INNH said you have more than likely twisted the forks in their yokes, hopefully an easy fix... Possible you may have bent the bars too .. Good luck with the fix

The handlebar risers bend easy too. I tipped mine over once and had that happen. Eye the angle at the handlebars where the risers attach againt the key area while riding. If tilted foward or back in one side simply push the bars the opposite direction till all play is gone then give a good push. Would advise having someone hang onto the bike so you don't tip it over.

The Plot Sickens...

Greetings All,

Just got my FZ1 back from the local dealer. First quote $8,245 (I'm not making this up). How can this be you might ask? (I sure did!) Well, there is a scratch on the front of the fuel tank - not visible unless you look for it: verdict according to them - a new fuel tank of course, $700! Also, another light scrape on one side of the swing-arm - maybe 1.5" long - verdict according to them - a new swing arm, $800! And on and on (and on) it went.

I was incredulous. I went through the "list" line-by-line with the tech and the Service Manager, crossing off things that didn't make ANY sense and the quote magically went down to $2,450. This consisted of, mainly, the triple-tree, the front forks (they said they were bent - I still don't believe it, more on that in a minute) and new front tire.

I said "I still cannot afford that - please just put a new Dunlop on the front, a new left-side front turn signal (old one missing in muddy ditch) and try to straighten the gearshift lever a little - I'll do the rest." They say "Ok".

Takes them another 10 (ten) days to find a tire and mount it (took them 15 days to come-up with the initial "price of the bike" quote) and tell me it's done (I had to keep calling every two-three days or my FZ1 would still be there.

Now, when I called this morning, they - of their own accord - said they would try the" loosen the top and bottom bolts" as you all suggested and see if they can straighten the forks a bit. Well, I get to the dealership and they say "didn't work - triple tree and forks are bent." At this point I say "whatever", pay the $381 (new tire, left turn signal and straightened lever) and off I go - rode it home (27 miles, mostly interstate) and it rides great! What a blast to be back in the saddle after the bike being held hostage at the dealer for a solid month.

The ride home, again, was uneventful (but FUN!) even though the handlebars are about 5 degrees off-kilter, which is a little annoying.

I get it parked at home and take a closer look at the triple-tree and the bolts. I find there is still mud on them form my accident and NO signs of them even being touched with a wrench, let alone loosened or tightened. Deeply disappointed at being lied to, but hey, that's life around here, sadly.

So, my ride is in much better shape, and this weekend I will obtain the proper tools and try the untwisting fix recommended by you kind and helpful folks.

I'll keep you all posted! Thank you all again.

Sincerely,
Pat

Last edited:
Pat, first I'm happy to hear you have the bike back! Next, please report that place to the BBB and never use them for any reason again.

I'm betting you can straighten the front. With the bike on the center stand, loosen the top triple bolts, put the front wheel between your knees and pull on the handlebars in the direction you need them to go. Check alignment by eyeballing the front tire in the center of the fairing looking straight down, then look on the other side. Your keyhole should be centered over the fairing stay post. Sit on the bike and hold the bars straight, then lean over the front and look at the wheel/tire and make sure it is also pointed straight. Adjust as needed and then lock down the top triple clamps. This is all done with a 5mm hex wrench and two bolts.

If I lived closer, I'd have done this for you the day after your off and you'd have been a signal and tire away from riding again. I could have done those too! This is why I do not trust any shop with my bikes and do all my own work. When I called my dealer to quote mine, they said they couldn't get it in for the quote until the end of the month and it was 2 - 3 weeks out for repairs AFTER they received all the parts to start. The next local dealer was not any better... I think they are all in cahoots with each other. So, this is why I decided to fix it myself, buy a new one and sell this one with full disclosure.

I hope you get it straightened out and are as close to 100% ASAP!

-Eric

Success!

Greetings All,

It's been a good morning.

One hex wrench, two bolts, one strong 17 yr. old son, 10 minutes of our time, and my FZ1's forks are...perfectly aligned! Just got back from a quick test run, blasting around some country roads, and a little bit of Interstate for some speed, and all is well.

Now, the degree of my disappointment with the dealer is off-the-charts - if you think about it, they let me ride out of their shop, stating to me "it's unsafe to ride like that cuz the forks are bent" knowing full well they could have fixed it for me in minutes (heck, they had it for a month). It is borderline criminal. These folks are not doing the great name of Yamaha any favors. I'm going to try to calm down a little over the weekend before the "letter writing" begins - the letters will be professional, to-the-point and scathing. The BBB will get one, Yamaha USA will get one, and the home office in Japan will get one, too.

A sincere Thank You to FZ1inNH and to everyone who posted-in with helpful ideas!

Pat

Back