Dash not lighting, battery or relay issue

Install my fancy new front turn indicators (old ones, the left didnt work and the right was flashing as if the bulb was dying, not to mention they werent even the same look >.>), go to bed for the night, go to work the next day, it rains. Come home to a bike that doesn't feel like starting.

Dash will not light up whatsoever. Starter will not even attempt to turn the engine over. The Neutral/Low Oil/brights indicators will all work just fine. Turn signals both the lights and the dash indicators work. Tail lights and headlights work.

I'm thinking the rain messed something up with the connectors? I noticed I forgot to re-fit one of the protective covers for a male-female connector for the indicators. Could this have caused a shorted fuse or is it a bad relay? Reason I suspect the relay is the culprit is because before the issue is since the incident, my starter/dash relay located between the dash and the windscreen is now buzzing loudly and vibrating when I turn on the brights. When I turn the normal beams on, the buzzing stops.

I'm replacing the battery today and will get back to you guys soon about results. The only thing I hate about the 01-05 fazers is the limited space for a battery. That slot is so small!

List of weird sounds I'm getting since the issue! (List? Here we go..)
-Buzzing Starter/Dash relay when the brights are on (I'm aware this is probably a battery issue)
-Clicking turn signal fuse when I go from right to left indicator (sound comes from the left side of the battery)
-A lack of engine noise

EDIT: The bike in question is a 2002 Yamaha FZS1000. Was previously sitting for a good while (2 years upward, shame on previous owner!).

Things I'm looking @ being the problem are:
Bad Dash/Starter relay. Dash doesn't light up, fuel won't gauge, etc. Haven't gone through the connectors 1 by 1 yet but I'll get to that this weekend.
Battery issues, whether it be the charge (it was already iffy at best and I had it sitting on a maintainer, don't have a cheap-meter to test voltage) or the connections to the terminals. My positive terminal for my old battery was missing the nut to screw the positive side in, so I defaulted to the almighty zip-tie. I notice messing with the positive ground cable thing makes my dash look like it wants to light up (only notice at night though, maybe just backlight transfer from the other lights?)
Bad starter solenoid
Ignition switch (since the problem started, the ignition switch is giving me hell. Before it turned cleanly, now it's hard to turn the steering lock/turn on)
Stator? I don't know much about the stator to be honest. I just know it's a prime component in getting a charge from the battery, if I'm correct.
Or Gremlins got into my garage and I'm screwed

I wrote you guys a book, I hope you guys can help me out!

Last edited:
Back