Direct-wire problems

ghetto_d

hey guys, looking for input here:
i decided to put a GPS navigation device on my fazer. wanting the the cleanest install, i opted to hardwire it. i bought and installed this cable kit, i'd call it a transformer:
Amazon.com: EDO Tech® Ultra Compact Direct USB Hardwire Car Charger Cable Kit for Garmin GPS Nuvi StreetPilot, Great for Vehicle and Bike (no traffic receiver): GPS & Navigation
after hooking the harness to the battery, i saw that within the little black box of this hardwire kit, there is a red LED illuminated. seems to always be lit while connected to battery. after being connected to battery (new shorai), the battery was dead. no GPS device was connected. just the cable. does this seem right?? seems like the stupidest shit ever to me. so, not only do i have to modify the harness to get it to fit the bike, i now have to install a switch of some sort to interrupt the circuit before it gets to the 'transformer'?? this wiring is located under the main seat, BTW. anyone else use this hardwire kit? :banghead:

Wire it into the ignition switch wiring circuit ,that way it's only powered up while the bike is running.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Last edited:
Yeah wire it to the tail light or something so it only gets power when the ignition is turned on. I don't think the FZ1 has an accessory socket in the wiring harness, so you'll have to improvise something.

Simply splice into the running lights and you have a very clean installation with short wires routed in the fairing and it's keyed to the ignition. That'a how I run mine and also a lead to charge the phone.

I bought a direct lead that plugs into my GPS Nav mount and crimped it together with my GPS tracker. I hid both the cables and if you pull the seat, they look like they are supposed to be there. The GPS only gets charged if it is plugged into the mount, when I take it off the bike, the circuit is broken and won't drain my battery (I never leave it sitting on the bike as it will disappear with some little 5 finger discounter). I hid the GPS tracker away on the bike so if anyone pulls the seat, they won't see it.

Back