Does anyone else find it hard not to be an ahole?

Wondering if anyone else has this problem on their bike. It never fails when I go out on a ride some cager pulls out in front of me, comes across the entire road making a left turn out of somewhere, or tries to change lanes into me. Every single ride. It's hard not to be an Ahole when every time you go out some dbag not paying attention almost takes you out. It's not like I'm doing 130 in a 35 either. For example today I'm in a 35mph section. The light is red that I am approaching, some chick probably mid 20's pulls out (its 4 lanes and a turn) to make a left. She gets to the second lane (opposing direction she is headed) and stops... while I'm trying to slow for the light. So now I have to hammer the brakes so I dont plow into her! No one coming other direction cuz the light is red and she still had to yet get to the turn lane.

Honestly, if you're constantly running into issues and dangerous situations; you have to work on your riding habits. Having to always dodge something last-second or panic stop in a regular traffic situation almost always means you're doing something wrong.

Rule number one of safe riding is to keep yourself accountable. If someone cuts you off and you have to slam on your brakes, rather than get all mad at 'those damn cagers', ask yourself what you could have done better. You are in charge of understanding the flow of traffic, making yourself visible from all angles and leaving yourself many escape routes.

It's my experience that the riders who always blame others and get mad at 'cagers' and roidrage and flip the bird all that crap are the ones who are constantly having altercations and 'near-misses'. It's not a coincidence. I have ridden with douchebags who carry spark plugs to throw at other cars and will kick someone's mirror because 'those damn cagers try to kill me'. Watching them ride, the real reason why it all happens becomes very clear.

I highly recommend this book:

Proficient_Motorcycling.jpg

Last edited:
Very good advise Dustin. Nothing personal to my midwestern friends (I grew up in MN) but many people in the midwest are really crappy drivers.

Too much flat land I guess....

Proficient motorcycling is an excellent book. I recommend that you always try to anticipate what actions the cagers will do wrong - becasuse they will make mistakes, and exhibit very poor judgement. Then have a plan on how you will avoid them when they drive poorly. Also leave lots of space around you to avoid having to make quick avoidance maneuvers. Don't become the "meat" in the sandwich. And when cagers make mistakes, remain calm. Think of it as playing a video game. If the cager should do this, I will avoid him by doing that. Plan way ahead. And never ride based onwhat a driver is "supposed" to do.

My approach is to identify everything that moves as a threat until proven 110% otherwise. Almost everthing turns out not to be, but when something does I'm glad I did.

My approach is to identify everything that moves as a threat until proven 110% otherwise. Almost everthing turns out not to be, but when something does I'm glad I did.

Yep, keep those eyes moving. Sometimes a cloud of dust over the hill or around the corner is a sign of trouble-including herds of critters.

Wondering if anyone else has this problem on their bike. It never fails when I go out on a ride some cager pulls out in front of me, comes across the entire road making a left turn out of somewhere, or tries to change lanes into me. Every single ride. It's hard not to be an Ahole when every time you go out some dbag not paying attention almost takes you out. It's not like I'm doing 130 in a 35 either. For example today I'm in a 35mph section. The light is red that I am approaching, some chick probably mid 20's pulls out (its 4 lanes and a turn) to make a left. She gets to the second lane (opposing direction she is headed) and stops... while I'm trying to slow for the light. So now I have to hammer the brakes so I dont plow into her! No one coming other direction cuz the light is red and she still had to yet get to the turn lane.

I just hit the road expecting it. That way I am not disappointed when it happens but it is a great day when it does not.

The key thing to remember when riding or driving is that nearly half of the drivers out there are either bad, not paying attention, or both.

I ride 68 miles round trip each day for work and because I am in California I get to lane share on the majority of that ride. People move back and forth in the lanes all the time, I just have to be on top of it making sure I am not going too fast for the flow of traffic because I know most people do not see me, mostly because Californian's like to change lanes without using the mirror.

The closest call I have ever had happened to me on Tuesday this week. I had my blinker on to turn right into my driveway, and some nub in a for ranger was tailgating me. I moved wide to the left to turn in and he passed me on the right, I nearly turned right into him... Slammed on the brakes and yelled, but I don't think he heard me. I was pretty upset, but with my medical condition it would do me no good to chase him down to yell at the moron.

I was always a very defensive driver working in the LA area for many years, so I took that same philosophy and applied it to riding when I got my FZ last year.

Honestly, if you're constantly running into issues and dangerous situations; you have to work on your riding habits. Having to always dodge something last-second or panic stop in a regular traffic situation almost always means you're doing something wrong.

Rule number one of safe riding is to keep yourself accountable. If someone cuts you off and you have to slam on your brakes, rather than get all mad at 'those damn cagers', ask yourself what you could have done better. You are in charge of understanding the flow of traffic, making yourself visible from all angles and leaving yourself many escape routes.

It's my experience that the riders who always blame others and get mad at 'cagers' and roidrage and flip the bird all that crap are the ones who are constantly having altercations and 'near-misses'. It's not a coincidence. I have ridden with douchebags who carry spark plugs to throw at other cars and will kick someone's mirror because 'those damn cagers try to kill me'. Watching them ride, the real reason why it all happens becomes very clear.

I highly recommend this book:

Well I'm sure I could relax a bit but its hard to with nothing but idiots at every turn. Ive ridden bikes and driven in several parts of the world. Only place that had worse drivers was Kuwait. I'm sure it doesnt help that where I live is with in the top ten retirement places in the US and among the top 25 places to vacation also. We have people who come from all over the US just to drive one of our local roads here cuz its soooo pretty! It also doesnt help I have to drive the busiest road in town everyday. We dont have freeway around town so everyone goes right through it. Its not uncommon to have people driving side by side at 35 in a 55. Its like a haven for idiots here!
In fact thinkin about it. I didnt have near as much trouble a few years ago when I lived outside of town.

Look at what it takes to get a license in the states. Until the entire program is revamped, the machine will keep churning out idiot drivers. In germany sitting in the passing lane will get you a ticket. Here it's not enforced at all.

It's been my experience that in the more rural areas, drivers are somewhat more courteous and patient. They see you an an 8th mile away and wait for you to pass before turning on the street. This isn't always the case, but more times than not. In the city/urban areas, 30 cars will try to squeeze in before you arrive at the intersection.

There are crappy drivers everywhere. You have to change your riding habits if you are just going out for a ride. Go early in the morning when traffic is less and pick your routes. I don't live in a heavily populated area, but on the weekends hordes of people are visiting our fair city. Well, I'm not going out at 3pm on Saturday, I go out at 7am when the yabboes are still in bed getting over their wine induced hangovers.

Riding in Los Angeles surface streets & freeways daily in rush hours has become a way to relax for me, its just a real life game that I now enjoy dodging all kinds of distracted drivers, new drivers, old drivers & people with poor eye sight, here we lane split too.
I learned the art of being fluid & not get upset by stupidity unless I get hit.

Look at what it takes to get a license in the states. Until the entire program is revamped, the machine will keep churning out idiot drivers. In germany sitting in the passing lane will get you a ticket. Here it's not enforced at all.
:ditto:

No kidding right?

The local DMV by my house was recently found to have a number of employees taking bribes to pass people that should not have been able to pass....

The DMV is horrible. How could you justify allowing a near blind person, or someone with weak motor skills to get a DL and go out and terrorize the roads....

yeah, gotta be aware of others and be proactive on the streets.

and FWIW... here in NOVA, it doesn't matter if you're in your in cage or on your bike, people are inconsiderate of others...

:ditto:

No kidding right?

The local DMV by my house was recently found to have a number of employees taking bribes to pass people that should not have been able to pass....

The DMV is horrible. How could you justify allowing a near blind person, or someone with weak motor skills to get a DL and go out and terrorize the roads....

The auto industry's strategy for years was to put automobiles in the hands of consumers, and therefore they fought for years to have watered down requirements for licensing. It used to be anyone over the age of 16 could just go in and get a license. Now it is a bit more difficult but most people can get a license at 16 and never have to show any roadcraft skills for the rest of their life. Just pony up at the DMV every 5 years or so, take a Mickey Mouse eye test, pay your fee and keep on driving. Why, its' the American way, no?

It's also why any 16 yo kid can walk into a m/c shop and buy a Hayabusa, no questions asked. No experience required, no actual demonstration that you even have a m/c endorsement, if you have the cash you get the bike.

Last edited:
Belgian traffic road accidents statistics reports that out of the 10 motorbike accidents, 8 involved a cager doing something the biker did not expect.

100% in line with Dustin's comment, you are constantly required to anticipate the worst and in time you'll develop yourself an eye for such risks and adapt your riding style...
Being a Motorcycle Instructor, I use the statistics to show candidates the hard reality...and it works....and i'll teach them to ride constant in defensive mode....

It seems like is at least partly due to people's impatience - which seems to be getting more extreme - sometimes leading to road rage. People are sooo impatient. And they think they've gotta get up closer to the front of the pack - because they think that will get them where they are going quicker - and are angry when they are in the traffic at all.
I think it is a complex thing going on in our society. Lots of general frustration. But so many people it seems are frustrated in life - because they don't really do anything that they like to do in life - except go home and watch people on their big screen TV's do things -- like reality shows, ] dancing with the stars, etc. They are not really doing things - just watching - and getting frustrated. They watch CSI - seeing it cool to solve things in a job - but their job - they don't do cool things - just get (what they perceive as) hassled by the boss.
Then they get in their cars with all their frustrations - and they gotta push ahead - ignoring everyone else.

It's my thoughts - very psychological about what goes on in our society. but think about it - years ago people did more - world war II there weren't that many cars - far fewer people and people worked hard labor intensive jobs - lots of farming - lots of physical labor. then World War II - there was a huge sense of urgency and working together and forgoing stuff to try to defeat Hitler. And in the couple of decades following the war - leftovers of that urgency and working together stuff - what with the Cold War fears.

Now it seems like it's everyone out for themselves - with no real fun activities anymore - or activities that seem important . And lots of frustration. And big screen TV's that people "live" life through.

This is a big complex subject and I can't continue here - cause the moderators won't allow a psychology dissertation on there board. But I'm thinking there are tons of things to study psychologically in our modern day (kinda do nothing) society which causes all sorts of pent up frustrations and aggressions and actions.

And yeah - some of these people in their cars can look at motorcyclists and have some envy - because they are seeing someone actually doing something kinda cool - that they would never dare to do - because of their life's rut. Envy - and resentment ... along with frustration - hurry, hurry, hurry,...get ahead of the other guy, get ahead..

I agree with that to an extent but also have to point out how people tend to group up and drive together. Next time you are on the freeway watch traffic. There will be nothing then a big group, past the group nothing again. Its like they can't drive by themselves

Back