Dog Trailers

speeddemon2588

For those of us who have four legged furry children, how many would actually tow them behind on a long ride? I'm not a cruiser guy so I don't exactly putter along when the roads get twisty so a big bulky trailer would be out of the question. Two wheeled trailers are more prone to slippage/roll over in a corner. I was either going to buy a sidecar equipped bike or build a trailer. This company has the same idea I've been toying with. Single wheel that pivots and leans with the bike. I would also use a front wheel off a motorcycle with a proper tire. However looking at all these trailers they all are made out of fiberglass that probably wouldn't hold up well in a crash. I would build an aluminum shell and foam similar to a helmet. It would have a much more aerodynamic profile and just be big enough to carry the dog with a bit of gear. Think of an Airstream. Any thoughts?

Home | N-LINE Trailers

Being a K9 officer for over 17 years I have seen quite a few trailers to haul dogs in my day but never thought about one for a dog... until I googled it...

chuck-schmid-testimonial-weiner-trailer-turbo-2-dog-1-1024x682.jpg

I pity the poor dog that's stuck behind Hardly Abelson exhaust noise for hours at a time. Imagine the acoustics of the plexiglass bubble make it even worse. Even the stock exhaust Harley's rumble pretty good.

I'd much rather be the dog behind the Goldwing :thewave:

I pity the poor dog that's stuck behind Hardly Abelson exhaust noise for hours at a time. Imagine the acoustics of the plexiglass bubble make it even worse. Even the stock exhaust Harley's rumble pretty good.

I'd much rather be the dog behind the Goldwing :thewave:

I would have to agree. Very cool looking though.

LOL! I dont think a fz can really tow a trailer with a dog in it... correct me if I'm wrong, but That'll mess up the ridingdynamics? It is a funny thing to think about...

LOL! I dont think a fz can really tow a trailer with a dog in it... correct me if I'm wrong, but That'll mess up the ridingdynamics? It is a funny thing to think about...

The FZ is more than capable of pulling a (small) trailer. Yes the riding dynamics would change but that happens with any type of tow vehicle. There will also be more wear on drive components but it could be done. From rough calculations I'm looking at about 120 lbs + dog (with ideal materials). Again it's just for the dog, plus food and other dog essentials. So as far as parasitic weight it wouldn't be much different that carrying a passenger.

Good grief a Ural would be fun though.
http://www.imz-ural.com/2012-yamal-limited-edition/

Blizzard Motorcyclist in Indianapolis - YouTube

Last edited:
I never understood how anyone can have the idea to tow anything with a MC. I mean it is all about riding and having fun, leaning and carving and that will be destroyed with any trailer.

Now putting a poor animal into anything behind a bike is really cruel in my opinion. i always wear earplugs but an animal can not and it will not wear gear either. But again the driving will be no fun at all, no speed, no carving, no handling. Just take the car if you can not fix things to the MC directly.

Just my 2c.

I never understood how anyone can have the idea to tow anything with a MC. I mean it is all about riding and having fun, leaning and carving and that will be destroyed with any trailer.

Now putting a poor animal into anything behind a bike is really cruel in my opinion. i always wear earplugs but an animal can not and it will not wear gear either. But again the driving will be no fun at all, no speed, no carving, no handling. Just take the car if you can not fix things to the MC directly.

Just my 2c.

First off, I appreciate the 2c. I respect your opinion but I will have to disagree with you on a couple things. 90% of my riding is solo, this would just be for long trips. Now for the rant.

I've ridden a goldwing with a monster of a trailer dragging the foot pegs all the way. Yes the bike pushes and stopping distance is compromised to a degree but don't if you don't ride like an ass its all manageable. A single wheel trailer would lean with you, if the weight could be limited it would come down to geometry and mounting points. Proper engineering and you would hardly feel it. Plus under normal riding conditions noise insulation is easy to design for

I agree you won't be dragging knee but you shouldn't be doing that on the streets anyway. It's not worth the risk of crashing to hoon around on unfamiliar roads. I ride because it's freedom, though I can't say I don't let Mr. Hyde out now and again though. I also agree leaving them in a fiberglass coffin is cruel(and dangerous) but I'm fairly confident in my technical background to choose/build a proper carrier. From everything I've seen, nothing is good enough which is why I'm looking to build my own. Also they do make hearing protection for dogs, I have a custom pair for my dog from our hunting days. I love my dog and she comes with me everywhere, coming along on long rides would be icing on the cake. I would never put her in something that I wouldn't ride in.

Then again this is starting to sound like a lot of work and my trying to convince myself it's a worthy endeavor. Maybe I will just buy a cheap roadster and split the difference.

Cheers. :tup:

I actually understand how this happens. I know this is off topic but.........
I have been motorcycle ONLY four times in my life. A couple of times ~ years at a time without another vehicle. So what happens is you get stuck! You have something that you HAVE TO GO TO and all you have is a motorcycle.
Can you call a cab? Sure.
Can you call a friend? Sure.
Lot's of other things that would be smart and safe but in my particular situation........I HAD TO GO to a Dr appt at 8 AM. I woke up, got ready and walked out the door to this foreign white substance on the ground. Texas just doesn't see much of this white powder so we were all mystified. I had 20 minutes to make a 5 minute drive to my doctor's office. What did I do? I kept the FZ1 in 1st gear and drove REAL SLOW!!!!
LOL
I saw virtually EVER SINGLE CAR that passed me point at me and shake their heads. I knew what they were saying but I was actually saying the same thing in my head. However, sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

I know this is off topic but I have gotten "caught" in several situations where people have asked me if I'm crazy for driving a motorcycle in that situation. LOL Sometimes you just can't help it. :deal:

Sorry but it removes fun ;). Having something to two changes the bike characteristic a lot, or tell me why so many people do the power and suspension mods? It is just not true that it does not change the bike significantly. However, everyone what he likes.

The design of the trailer and the fact it connects to your rear axle means a minimal change. I guess if you toss too much weight in it, it would be a huge change, but this trailer will carve with ease. ;)

Back