Don't disconect the EXUP Valve.

Hi all
I have a stock 2008 FZ1. Today I disconnected the EXUP valve cables with the stock muffler and the bike ran a little noisier, but .... terrible. I reconnected the cables and the smooth, punchy, midrange torque came back. I do not think that this valve is just for sound deadening at all, and I would not consider riding without it connected.
I would love to try a bike with a slip on to compare the midrange torque. What has been your experiences?
Tony

It's been a long time since I had my stock can and EXUP working but I do think that the engineering of the stock system was intended to make the most out of low and midrange running. I have been contemplating returning to the stock setup just to get a new feeling of the orignal bike and enjoy the quiet running VS the noise of my MIVV which in my opinion is too loud for neighborhood running, especially when I leave the sub at 5:30 a.m. and a lot of people are still in slumber-land. I've been getting some strange looks from the loal PD too.

Hi all
I have a stock 2008 FZ1. Today I disconnected the EXUP valve cables with the stock muffler and the bike ran a little noisier, but .... terrible. I reconnected the cables and the smooth, punchy, midrange torque came back. I do not think that this valve is just for sound deadening at all, and I would not consider riding without it connected.
I would love to try a bike with a slip on to compare the midrange torque. What has been your experiences?
Tony

Well unless you're replacing the stock muffler with an aftermarket one I don't see the point of disconnecting it anyway. I am sure that it was "tuned" from the factory to work in conjunction with the stock exhaust. I replaced my exhaust with a full Yoshimura R-77 one and can tell you that the bike has even more midrange than stock. And it's not only my butt dyno that confirms this. Take a look at this dyno chart:

3514_3_.jpg

I have been contemplating returning to the stock setup just to get a new feeling of the orignal bike and enjoy the quiet running VS the noise of my MIVV which in my opinion is too loud for neighborhood running, especially when I leave the sub at 5:30 a.m. and a lot of people are still in slumber-land. I've been getting some strange looks from the loal PD too.

Which MIVV do you have? I just got a GP (not installing it until spring) and was hoping it wouldnt be excessively loud when riding with an easy throttle hand. The general consensus I got from researching pipes was that the MIVV GP was one of the best sounding pipes, with a deep tone and not too much louder than stock until the revs go up.

I have the Suono and the db killer is in place. It's a good can but it's pretty raspy above 5000. I'm running a PCIII with a modified Ivan's map and it runs very well, just a bit on the loud side for my tastes and I'm sure if any patrolman wanted to ticket me, my DB readings would be far over the legal level

Of all I have heard Micron GP is the best looking and sounding can. Their headers also are the longest and give the best torque gains. It has a nice V8 rumble to it which I absolutely love. I am also kinda done with loud exhausts but this V8 rumble I love. If I want a quiet bike I ride my FZ6 which is great for commuting.

Back