Don't test ride a Ducati you will fall in love.

Went to Seattle wa this weekend and test rode a Hypermotard and a panigale. I really shouldn't have because now I have the bug lol. All I can say is they are awesome machines sorry yamaha.

More details!

:)

You don't have to apologise to Yamaha, they didn't make their name building beautiful, exotic motorcycles with high end components and fancy materials--they build bikes that are just as fast and won't leave you broke and stranded while on fire ;)

Craftsmanship vs. Engineering

Last edited:
More details!

:)

You don't have to apologise to Yamaha, they didn't make their name building beautiful, exotic motorcycles with high end components and fancy materials--they build bikes that are just as fast and won't leave you broke and stranded while on fire ;)

Craftsmanship vs. Engineering

lol nice

As long as it is not your only bike they are a lot of fun to own and ride. You will have some issues and there is a higher cost of ownership compared to other manufactures. It is also the bike I want to ride the most!

Last edited:
LOL
I LOVE the first 3 comments on this thread!!!! All 3 of those feelings twisted together pretty well sum up how I feel about Ducati.
Now I LLLLLOOOOVVVVEEEEE to go to events and test ride motorcycles. :sinister: That is one of my favorite things to do.

They are so fun to ride, though call me crazy I traded my Monster S4R for my current FZ1! That thing was a hooligan bike, and the hyper was even more so! The dealer here has a demo Panigale, and I'm staying clear I know what will happen if I ride it.

After previously owning a 2007 Duc Monster S4RS (briefly), and riding multistrada, 1098, 848, 1100 EVO, 696, 796, having friends that ride them, and considering the VERY HIGH cost of ownership and highly sensitive machines, etc, etc and that a 1199 ready to go out the door is well over 20K - my opinion is this:

Go and test ride a Honda CBR1000RR. It is still a better bike than anything else, IMO. Not close. And, you can find deals for 10K+ now ;). Hell, if not a 2012 there are still 2010 "new" models at dealers if you look (dallas) and even better deals if you go to the right place and pick it up ;)

Sure, the Duc image and what comes with it and they are fun, up to a point, makes it exciting - temporarily. But you get everything and more, performance-wise, from the CBR. I loved my FZ1 and Yamaha is great. I thought serioiusly about an R1. But after 1700 miles on my new CBR, I can't believe everyone doesn't ride one. It is that good.

Ducati is God's way of saying you make too much money.

CBR? At my age, humping the turtle is getting to be to hard on my wrists.

I really like my KTM but it takes an hour to remove two screens and two oil lines just to change the oil. UJM's are so easy and inexpensive to operate.

The hypermotard was awesome and i would really like to own one. Supermoto on steroids lol. The dry clutch would take some getting used to. It sounds like its about to fall apart. It felt like I was a part of the bike and it inspired a lot of confidence. I don't have the money to buy or maintain one of these bikes but the Italians sure do make sexy machine. I used to have a Fiat spider it was the most fun i have had on 4 wheels when it was running. I would have that little turd on the road for a week and in my garaged for a week. That is Italian engineering for ya.

I tested the 848 street fighter and was not overly impressed. Power was ok but didn't have that rush the FZ gives at 8000 rpm. More nimble and light but not as planted on the hwy.

Comfort level was good, very smooth transmission. Overall a good bike but not ready to trade my FZ for it.

I sat one one a few months ago at the dealer, even fired it up. Way cool motor and they said it actually handles quite well. Then I checked into maint. costs and bought the KTM.

Has anyone had a ride on the Diavel? Looks like it'd be a hanful!

A friend of mine has one. I took her for a spin around the block. Wasn't long enough to get the bug. That's an awesome bike. But it's a Ducati... Rough and sexy...

Once you get the valve maintenance sort out, what's the big deal with maintenance? I did a valve adjustment on a older Duc... the tolerance are very tight but doing to work is quite easy. Shims kit: $325.00 with one shim of each... Hey, it's a Ducati...

Once you get the valve maintenance sort out, what's the big deal with maintenance? I did a valve adjustment on a older Duc... the tolerance are very tight but doing to work is quite easy.

...says the guy who used to work on Indycars. What about us normal guys who work 40 hours OUTSIDE a shop and have a tool kit at home comprised of a socket set, a hammer, and 4 screwdrivers? :p

Back