Dustin's New Bike Thread

Honda 2006 Interceptor® 800 :D

15857d1378634969-dustins-new-bike-thread-capture.jpg

So I got t-boned on the 919 by a little old lady in a Chrysler today -- I'm absolutely fine as it was at pretty slow speed. She did a number on my 919, though. It's out of service at the moment and I'm having insurance deal with it.

So! With that brings the potential for a write off which brings potential for another bike! :yes::yes::yes::yes:

I'd love to get some ideas from ya'll. This would be a replacement for the 919!

I think I only have three requirements:

Centre stand
Givi rack
Used, under $8000

Let's see what you guys got :sinister:

Glad to hear you are OK and still have all your extremities, that isn't always the case in a "T-Bone" situation.

Also glad it wasn't the FZ that took the hit.

Since you are a bit of a bike whore (or A.D.D. when it comes to bikes) this isn't a really bad thing for you. I look forward to seeing your next ex- bike. :yes:

I'm glad it wasn't the FZ, too! I wouldn't have been going to work on it anyway, pleasure riding only. Insurance is expired for the year and it's sleeping under a cover, safe and sound

I've just been dealing with the insurance company today and we've arranged the local Honda dealer to pick up the bike tomorrow morning. They will assess it along with a private estimator and determine what will happen to it

I will keep you posted.

I reinsured the FZ today for three months to take advantage of the lovely weather we are having here. It's like paradise

A cage? Nahhh!

The shop came by with their trailer to pick up my bike, it's gone off for inspection/repairs. I'll know more soon, I hope!
If its the same in the USA as Aussie,it does`nt take much to right off a bike,In your case I would be hoping they do all way`s nice to get something new/newer ,best of luck

So I have been thinking more about bikes (is that a surprise?) and I've now added the V-Strom 650 (Wee Strom) to the list.

This is a bike I've loved to hate ever since I knew it existed. It's hideous. Lately I have been considering it more and more for a few reasons:

- Low purchase price, cheap insurance, 50-60 MPG
- 5.8 gallon tank with a 300+ mile range
- Reliable 650cc 90 degree twin from the SV. Great motor.
- Comfort, wind protection, hand guards for rain & cold
- ABS option
- Touted to be a very capable twisty bike despite its looks and can run ST tires like the Pilot Road 3
- Killer headlights
- Comfortable for two up and takes a full set of Givi luggage easily

I have ridden one before, albeit briefly. I know the platform is good and I believe the hype about its capability. I know 4-5 people who have owned one and they keep telling me to get one. Maybe I should listen. Also, the gas mileage is a great bonus and the 650cc displacement is going to cost me less in insurance and that will help me for the next couple years.

This one has really got me interested:
2007 Suzuki Vstrom DL650 ABS

Thoughts?

Oh and I called the dealership that my bike is at and talked to the service rep. The assessor was around and did his evaluation so I should hopefully have an answer tomorrow about what's happening to my bike.

It sure sucks having to wait to hear this stuff. If it is indeed written off, I guess that starts a whole round of negotiation?

Stay tuned.

I see your point with the gas mileage and the cheaper insurance, but I'd want the 1000cc v-strom. I hear people talking about how ugly the v-stroms are, but I really don't see it. I don't think they are a beautiful bike, but I certainly don't think they are ugly. I even think the front fairing and headlight have a few cues that remind me of the FZ1 (S model or Fazer, not the N obviously).

I think the Versys is very ugly (especially the fairing and headlights). Between the Versys and V-Strom, I've heard many reviews pick the V-Strom as the clear winner, but if you want to do 95% street, the Versys is a good choice (but the Ninja 650 or ER6-n might be just as good) :dontknow:

You are a sane reasonable gentleman, the Wee Strom would be a great choice, I'd rather the big brother, 30 more hp for fun in my crazy state of AZ. But after watching that other video about speed kills your pocketbook, you don't need the speed up there in BC. LOL

Those that have ridden both the 650 and 1000 usually say the Wee is the better bike. A better carver and a more refined engine. Apparently the litre Strom isn't really that much faster or gruntier. Not what you would expect, at least

Back