Dustin's ninth motorcycle...

Dustin

2002 Honda 919

... is a 2002 Honda CB900F aka the 919

I sold the SV today and picked up my new bike shortly after. It's bone stock and aside from a few minor niggles, it's all good. Nice to ride but I will save my impressions until after few hundred KM on board. :)

Last edited:
Spent the morning giving it the 'Dustin'. Cleaned every inch, including the nasty gunky chain and stuff, hit the paint with some polish and a random orbital & a coat of wax, greased everything that could be greased, changed the H4 bulb for a proper H4, lubed the locks with graphite, ran my tender wiring & my 12v plug wires and installed my RAM GPS mount.

Now I will ride it :)

Last edited:
jealous..

been keeping an eye out myself for a 919 (0r even a 599), but cannot find a good one for the right price. It's a great bike and I'm sure you're loving it

Haven't been sleeping well the last couple days and been busy early and working late. I'm really zombified so no riding today. I spent the day watching the MotoGP and Moto2 races, polished and waxed the paint on the 919 and bled the brakes. I'll probably pass out soon but I'll get some riding in soon

I bloody-well better!

My friend stopped by with his new beater to do some maintenance, too

Got a little seat time today and I'm very impressed.

I don't know if anything has been done to the suspension (I doubt it) but it's one of the nicer stock suspensions I've ridden from the 'cheap used Japanese bike' category. Fairly firm but not harsh, handles bumps reasonably well and very stable in the corners. Steering is effortless and it responds very quickly despite wearing old Bridgestone BT-020s with a slightly squared rear. Once I set a lean angle, it holds it easily with a tiny bit of throttle rolled on and it feels very planted.

I haven't had much time on it yet but I'm fairly surprised, to be honest. It feels as light and agile as my old SV650, yet that bike had fork mods and a GSX-R 1000 rear shock. It also feels much more stable than the SV ever did. Even with a full 19L of fuel on board (5 US gallons), it doesn't feel at all like a big heavy litre bike.

The motor is excellent! It's not a screamer like the FZ1 units but it's deceptively fast and very smooth. Low-end torque is quite nice for a four-cylinder, although it's a far cry from the torque of a big twin. The mid range is really fantastic and will pull pretty strong to 10,000 or so, too.

There isn't a huge sensation of speed. The bike is so planted and smooth that I really have a hard time figuring out my speed. Once I check the speedo I realise that I'm going 'way too fast'

:yes:

Pleased so far.

Still need to sort out the one front brake issue that's giving me pulsing.

Last edited:
Back