***Dustin's Official 2013 Trip Report Thread***

Man I ennvy you Dustin, this heat kicked my butt at work. Came home and lights out. Shame, I shoulda been on a bike some place like you. Looks like a great time, When do you turn back for the Crib ?

Last edited:
I'll be home tomorrow. I had originally planned to spend one day in the Cascades and swing by my package depot to get my new rear tire but it's not slated to arrive until Thursday. I'm going to take Highway 3/Crowsnest home tomorrow. Should be a short day

Decided against taking Highway 3 straight home and made a detour up Highway 33 from Rock Creek to Kelowna. Well worth it. I will head to Merritt on Highway 97 then home via the slab

Last edited:
Hi Dustin just wondering if you use the Destination Highways book to plan out this route? My wife and I have done your route a few times over the years except coming at it from Calgary.

Cheers,
Cam.

Yes, I borrowed a copy of DHBC and DHWA from a friend and have used it to get an idea of where to ride. I've ridden pretty much everything in BC now it would seem, except Vancouver Island.

I did a little pre-trip shakedown run through the lovely Washington Cascades. It was an incredible ride, I had a great time with my fresh rear tire. A bike sure handles nice with two round tires!

When I got to the border, I noticed some odd noises from my rear wheel. Turns out my rear wheel bearing failed. I limped it home and I've got to see if the stealership can bring them in right quick. :)

Last edited:
Oh and I met a girl with an R1200R. We had a little riding date

tavapaha.jpg

utuda9ap.jpg

Last work day today! Tomorrow is a pack and check day and Monday I leave for a loosely determined number of days.

The roughly planned schedule:

June 10 - Home to somewhere in southern Oregon
June 11 - Arrive at Doug's place in Grass Valley, CA
June 12 - Ride around Nor Cal with Doug, stay in western--Fallon, NV
June 13 - Ride US-50 through Nevada, stay in Cedar City, UT
June 14 - Twisty route through Utah. Staying maybe in Torrey, UT
June 15 - More Utah, wind up in Blanding or Moab
June 16 - Grand Junction
June 17 - US-141 to US-550 to Durango
June 18 - US-160, 149, 50 and 14 into Co. Springs
June 19 - Mt. Evans into Boulder
June 20 - Boulder to Rock Springs, WY
June 21 - Rock Springs to Cody, WY via Yellowstone
June 22 - Cody to Butte via Chief Joseph Hwy & Beartooth Pass
June 23 - Butte to Kalispell, MT via US-93
June 24 - Kalispell to Somewhere in Washington. Colville, maybe?
June 25 - Home!

Last edited:
She's got a real job that doesn't have eight weeks vacation so she's not coming. Maybe, just maybe I'll invite her along in July when I ride in California :)

Sounds like a hoot. I wish I could go too. Have fun and stay safe. I hope your plans work out with out incident.

BTW On the way home today at one of the many Casey's I visited, I saw a silver Honda 919. It was a great looking bike and had a small wind screen over the headlight. I rode by on my way out while he was gassing up and told him "Nice bike, I like the 919s". He thanked me saying it was very comfortable and pointed at my FZ1 saying he'd always wanted to ride one of those. It was one of the few non-HD or cruisers I'd seen in two days of riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Haven't seen Dustin since our ride last fall . We're looking forward to Dustin rolling into town Tuesday and riding with him on Wed. May include a ride by Lake Tahoe on the way over to Nevada.
Be sure to pack a swim suit for some quality time in and by the our pool Tuesday evening!
Wish I could join him all the way to Colorado and beyond.

Back