***Dustin's Official 2013 Trip Report Thread***

Ahh...329 twisty miles, what a fun day. Dustin and I rode the back roads to Nevada which included Kit Carson and Monitor Pass. After the first 40 miles we switched bikes and I really liked the Hornet other than the bars were a bit of a reach for me. Nice motor and the bike was very planted in the curvy stuff while I tried to ruin his gas mileage.
We stopped at Stumpy Meadows Reservoir for the switch back to our own bikes and a break.
IMG_1286_zps162ff692.jpg

We continued through the Tahoe National Forest and I even included a bumpy goat trail. Very little traffic today and it was nice and quiet at our rest from the bumps although I suspect the KTM really likes goat trails a bit more than the Hornet ;)
IMG_1291_zpsb2d2cf95.jpg

We pressed on into the real high country and on to Carson Pass. A quick photo op at Caples Lake as it was getting lunch time and I could hear Dustin's stomach rumbling like a Harley.
IMG_1300_zpsfe72fb09.jpg

After a great lunch in Markleeville we were on to Monitor Pass. Damn that's a fun road. I think Dustin was looking for the meaning of life on his phone. JK he was storing pictures. It was so nice in the mountains today.
IMG_1305_zps8220d25d.jpg

Wasn't long before we were in Nevada and it was time for me to head west while Dustin turned east for Utah and Colorado. It was great to host our Canadian friend for the night and ride together again today. Somehow I think that guy is going to be wearing a grin for days to come on his trip. Have a good ride bud, see you in September when we will be up your way. Doug

Thanks for the tour and for switching bikes with me, I've always wanted to ride that SM-T. What a fun machine and that big v-twin is awesome.

PS, joke's on you! The 919 loves twisty roads and my mileage was even better today than yesterday ;) That motor is really something!

Last edited:
Getting an early start today and I turned on the news to see the fire reports in Colorado. I hope Brenda and her husband are ok! If you see this, keep us posted. Scary

If it's not contained, I may consider skipping Colorado. Sounds bad... :(

We're fine, the fire this year is on the other side of the highway....

in fact, my friends that we stayed with last year during our evac, are here with us now.
Hope they have a home to go back to. I know it came right up to their backyard sometime yesterday. Don't know about today's status...the winds were not favorable yesterday.

It was non-stop 60 mph winds all day but I finally made it to Cedar City. It feels like 10 gorillas were punching me in the face so I'm going to check out the pool then hit the town

Oh god, the wind. It was the strongest winds I've ever experienced, ever. Not just on the bike. It was getting on my nerves after being slammed for hours and hours

I did get to do some 6th gear diagnosis with my Garmin diagnostic tool. I managed 145 tests with no issues ;)

Last edited:
Chilly morning this morning and off to Torrey, UT by way of Cedar Breaks and Grand Staircase :)

I've been watching the forecast in Colorado. Only 5% contained right now and calling for heavy lightning strikes today? Sheesh. Hope everybody is ok on your end, Brenda

I'm in Torrey, Utah after visiting Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon and Grand Staircase. Beautiful. It's a Friday and there's a lot of bikes on the road. Mostly cruisers, various BMWs and dual sports. Nothing sporty.

The roads were pretty and twisty but very beaten up. This state is probably poor so I won't hold it against them. At one particular viewpoint, was chatting with a very nice group of Harley riders from Alabama. They were telling me about the section of road coming up and said a bike like mine is going to fly through it. Nice to meet real riders who don't just wear a scowl because your bike isn't like theirs.

On through Coral Reef National Park tomorrow and on to Blanding, Utah. :)

Back