Ear plugs

Apparently it's the wind noise that does most of the damage not noisy exhausts.

You beat me to it. This is what I understand as well. Bikes like the FZ1 that don't completely block the air are the ones that tend to cause the most noise. The turbulent air makes a lot of noise, well above 90 dB. Naked bikes are not as bad in my experience but still very loud. Only those with the giant windscreens are safe without plugs.

Even my Schuberth C3 is too noisy to not have plugs over long distances. It's wind tunnel designed to limit noise below the threshold of what causes hearing loss, very quiet helmet compared to the other ones I've used. I still use plugs almost every time.

Last edited:
I don't feel the wind noise is too bad below 65 mph. It's pretty bad at 80+. I'm sure I should still wear ear plugs, but it's never been my habit, so I'm usually a mile down the road before I remember. I hate to stop and take off my gloves and helmet and then put them right back on. I'll start using them more often and then it should become second nature. I think I could be sly pulling them out if a cop pulled me over, just to avoid another reason for him to give me a ticket.

I think I could be sly pulling them out if a cop pulled me over, just to avoid another reason for him to give me a ticket.

Or, the earplugs could be a reason to GET OUT of a more serious infraction. Often LEO's will let you off of a speeding ticket if they can give you something more simple, like a fix it ticket.

Get some foam type plugs that have their own plastic container, and put the container in the lining of your helmet. It shouldn't take much to get you in the habit of wearing them when you get reminded by a hard lump in your helmet.

Even the most basic attempt to look into this subject should convince everyone that wearing earplugs makes sense.

I went from riding a 1992 Kawaski Concours to the FZ1. The Concours provided a nice quiet bubble. The FZ1, not so much. I started wearing the disposable foam ear plugs and hate riding without them now.

I switched out the stock windscreen for a GIVI touring screen and the noise level dropped by 75%. The GIVI is 6" taller and 6" wider than stock.

This may be why I haven't noticed the wind noise, well that and the tinitus I have in both ears. (Constant ringing from birth.)

I wear them on all longer rides. If I'm going to the corner I don't bother.

I don't see how the HD guys ride with no helmet and no plugs. They must be stone deaf.

If I'm just going round the corner, I just jump in the car because it is rarely worth gearing up for such a short trip. ATGATT regardless of distance!

Walmart.com sells the expandable foam ear plugs that will significantly cut the wind noise. They're flesh color and you can get a jar of 50 pair for like $14. I've worn many types while in the Army and these are the most comfortable.

OK, after reading all these posts I was curious about using ear-buds or ear plugs under a helmet. I have my Samsung ear-buds from my phone and they have the lowest profile and fit my ear canals the best. How the heck do you get the helmet on without pulling the buds out of your ears? Also I never even considered using buds because they are illegal in Illinois. The wind noise I get at 80 mph is about the same as my bicycle helmet at 25-30 mph.

I have always used a snug fitting helmet and they don't produce a lot of wind noise so I never thought about plugs or buds. My new helmet is a HJC IS-MAX-BT modular because it fits great and I wear multi-focal glasses (contacts work for distance but not close up). I even got the Chatterbox wireless for it. When I say snug it's snug. I tried using the ear plugs I use for shooting/hunting but they pulled out too.

So what's the secret?

I have been looking at getting speakers for my helmet as I am worried about getting a ticket in Illinois. These look like they might do the job XSound2 Motorcycle Helmet Speakers
According to the Illinois Vehicle Code helmet speakers are to be for intercom use only.

Helmet Speakers
For Communication Only; Illinois Vehicle Code, Sec. 11-1403.3

My communicator just happens to be a bluetooth receiver and if by chance there's a MP3 player nearby broadcasting music on bluetooth so be it.

Old biker how do you wear contacts and ride you bike i tried once and my eyeballs dried up and the contacts stuck to my eyeballs the wrong way i was stuck on the side of a pitch black road trying to dig those f ing things out of my eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Old biker how do you wear contacts and ride you bike i tried once and my eyeballs dried up and the contacts stuck to my eyeballs the wrong way i was stuck on the side of a pitch black road trying to dig those f ing things out of my eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Full face helmet, modular helmet, sunglasses (shatterproof sports type) or an open face helmet with sports sunglasses.

However, now I only use contacts while bicycling, skiing or girl watching.

Full face helmet, modular helmet, sunglasses (shatterproof sports type) or an open face helmet with sports sunglasses.

However, now I only use contacts while bicycling, skiing or girl watching.

yeah I found girl watching is much safer with prescription sunglasses around the old lady:jaw drop:ld lady

Back