East central IL-West central IN

Well, I have stock handlebars now (the PO had aftermarket that bent up and back a bit, but no threads in the end of the bars) and stock grips. I assume I would have a similar experience to you, so I would start with none and work from there. I do see the false need to use at least one washer when you get the kit and they provide so many.

I pulled the trigger on the Throttlemeisters. So I ordered the Black Heavy version. They are pricey but I do ride long distances and the need to rest the right hand seems to be worth it.

The install looks forthright but then so did the GIVI rack install that took me longer than expected.

I think you will love them old Biker, def provides that much needed rest for the right hand. Knowing about the spacers is half the battle, but let us know how it goes.

I have the stock bars but aftermarket grips (not sure what they are). But in hindsight strating with non and working from there would be the best option. Good luck

I just returned from my 314.7 mile journey today meeting OldBiker. Again, our thoughts are with Vagabond who was unable to meet us today.

OldBiker estimated his total mileage around 250. I got up a little after 5:20 and left hime about 6:00 with a temp about 45. We meet at the Gibson City McDonalds around 7:30 this morning, I was last to arrive. We had a quick bite and I filled up with gas (the bike, that is) and we headed out for this mystical, curvy IL road. As it turns out, OldBiker was right! There is a great curvy, twisty road in IL! It was great fun to use the sides of my tires for a change! I'm happy with the 190/55 PR3. I don't know if I will get 10,000 miles out of it like I did the 190/50 PR3 that I just replaced, but it feels great.

I made OldBiker take me around the lake at least 3 times. I think the first was clockwise and the last 2 counter (anti for the aussie and UK crowd) clockwise. Correct me if I messed that up.

For some odd reason, my sinuses were very irritated my the cold morning air and closed off completely. I had to make a stop at a Wal-Greens to get some sudafed to fix the problem.

As it started to warm up, we removed the quilted liners of our jackets and I changed from my amber pinloc shield to my mirrored shield and opened the vents on my RF-1100. We visited the dealership where we both purchased our FZ1s (my 2007 used, OldBikers 2012 new). They were of course, closed on Sunday. We then traveled to Champaign and rode around a bit. OldBiker hit the slab to get back home just before the rain and I grabbed a burger at 5 guys and then made my trek home. I made it back around 2:45pm.

Thank you to OldBiker for a great ride. This is the first time I have been able to ride with another Gen II FZ1. I did ride with Gary and his Gen 1 FZ1 a year or 2 ago. I have briefly meet Vagabond, but he had to leave before we could ride. I'm sure we will find time, maybe next year, to get a ride together.

Here are a few pictures I took. I didn't get any of the curvy road signs. :(

View attachment 15932View attachment 15933View attachment 15934View attachment 15935View attachment 15936View attachment 15937

Those pics came out nice. I saved them to my 'puter.

Our first loop was counter and the next two were clockwise. I like both. The only thing that keeps us from really having fun are the speed limits (Huh?) and the roads are narrow with two way traffic.

Last edited:
Jodie and I are about 55 miles into our trip to Brown County IN. We stopped for rest rooms and lunch at a Burger King. It was a little chilly this morning, but pinloc visors worked perfectly. Now it's very sunny and the publics aren't needed.

More updates to come. Tapatalk isn't letting me post pics right now. Maybe later. Back on the road for now.

Edit: I think I have the photo thing fixed.
ze5ebuna.jpg

I plan to take some more pictures, but I will see how it goes.

Last edited:
We are checked into our hotel in Columbus, IN. We will relax for a short time and then go ride some twisties, eat and then bring the party back to our room.

yhu8a8yg.jpg
5ysu7e9a.jpg
a2abugyp.jpg
agary9ut.jpg

BDazzler - This may be a fun ride. From Ellettsville go east to Anderson Road then make a left on Bean Blossom and another left on Main Forest Road to Old 37 (Anderson splits from Old 37). This should take you into a forested and hilly area (about 20 miles of riding). It's near Nashville but I don't remember how far.

Thanks for the info. I'll look at the maps in the morning. I'm not sure if we will have time as we need to get home around noon. Nashville is only 130-150 miles from us, so we can come back just for a day trip.

Here's a few more pictures.
8enu3u9y.jpg

This is the Story Inn in Story, IN. It's just south of Nashiville, IN on Hwy 135, the best road in the area that I've found. We had hoped to stay there, but we were originally going to Jefferson City, MO and rain pushed us to the weekend, so we chose to go a shorter route to IN. By the time we knew when and where we were going, the Story Inn was booked. We stopped in for a diet Coke and a Beck's N/A.

yjajymus.jpg

Here we are in the bar at the Story Inn.

typyza6a.jpg

I thought we would "class up" the HD parking only area at the Story, Inn. :p

babyby9y.jpg

I figure 20 years of marrige is safer with helmets. LOL

6asy8y5a.jpg

I wanted a picture with a better 'twisty' sign, but there was a wide, safe shoulder here, so that's where we stopped.

saby2e9y.jpg

There is some beautiful scenery around this area. This was a bridge over a little stream on 135 south of Story, IN. Notice the wife's Corbin seat for her Ninja. Not perfect, but much better than stock.

Not bad for 20 years of marriage. ;)

Last edited:
I measured the Lake Bloomington loop today. It's 10.2 miles.

I would love to go 'measure' that loop with you again. Maybe we can get a group together to do it again before riding season is over.

PS I added some info to the pictures I had posted from the Brown County, IN trip above.

I would love to go 'measure' that loop with you again. Maybe we can get a group together to do it again before riding season is over.

PS I added some info to the pictures I had posted from the Brown County, IN trip above.

The trees are just starting to change color, very pretty.

I need to be in Chicago tomorrow and next Saturday. I know you would prefer Saturdays to Sundays but I need to work my schedule around those up north.

My riding season ends with the first snowfall that stays on the ground and even then it may not stop me. (Heated gear? Possibly, I am getting a little older.)

We need to get a ride or two in before winter comes.

So true. I have some time this Saturday, if that works for anyone. Sorry for the short notice, but the rest of my family is going to a play of "The Sound of Music" and I don't have a ticket. That means riding will happen, weather permitting. Let me know what works. Earlier would be better for me, but I can take most of the day, as far as I know.

Back