ECU flash

Delta

Hi guys.
Ok how many of you have have your ecu flashed by Geoff at hilltop motorcycles?
Well this is just a heads up as I've been talking to Geoff and at the end of it he tells me he is going to re-write the firmware for the FZ1. It won't be ready until the new year.
He flashed my ecu and got 150bhp at the rear wheel. I'm very happy with the performance and can't wait for the upgrade. He has other things to add to the firmware like improvements and bug fixes etc it's in the pipeline so watch this space. No power comander needed here..! The guy certainly knows his stuff. He is a great guy and always makes me laugh.
There you go, anymore info and I will put it on here.
Cheers guys.

Last edited:
Do you have a site or any contact details? I am interested in this after the winter. Need to free up some of the restrictions now i have fitted all the regular bolt on parts :)

Do you have a site or any contact details? I am interested in this after the winter. Need to free up some of the restrictions now i have fitted all the regular bolt on parts :)

Hi fella, there's loads on the web and YouTube. Here's one to look at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bQzBXTsU_Zk&autoplay=1
Here's his web page with contact details etc hilltop motorcycles 01455 848522
Give him a call just tell him Paul from London (soggy Bollox) gave you the info on here and he will know lol. I rode up there and got absolutely soaking wet through to my bollox and he had to dry me out lol. He's a great bloke and as funny as phuck. Knows about bikes and he rides too.

Cheers Paul.

Thanks for all the info, i be sure to get in touch with him, but i be waiting until the new year anyway so hopefully get the upgraded firmware. The vid was ace and got some decent gains on all the bike.

How did he map it without power commander, plug directly into ECU?

Thanks for all the info, i be sure to get in touch with him, but i be waiting until the new year anyway so hopefully get the upgraded firmware. The vid was ace and got some decent gains on all the bike.

How did he map it without power commander, plug directly into ECU?

As far as I know he uses the ecu to write the new map on while he has it on the rolling road. A pc just piggybacks your own ecu where as Geoff goes direct in the same way yamaha does. He also changes other things on your ecu like gear restrictions and other things. It's better than buying a PC then having to get that set up on a rolling road. At the extra cost of the PC. A PC only does fueling, your own ecu does everything. It's far cheaper and better to get Geoff to rewrite your own ecu he can do everything a PC can do and more direct.
So yes he plugs direct into your own ecu. He has all the relevant codes to do it, for just about any bike I think too

Last edited:
i looked into this as well but diddnt like the idea of the ecu controlling everything

i sent mine to ivan 7 day turn around and still keep my pcv which means i can alter the fueling to suit and changes
i make in the future

well please with the resulting gains with a real kick in the mid range now

i looked into this as well but diddnt like the idea of the ecu controlling everything

i sent mine to ivan 7 day turn around and still keep my pcv which means i can alter the fueling to suit and changes
i make in the future

well please with the resulting gains with a real kick in the mid range now

You have to go with what you feel is best for you fella.
I will say though your ecu already controls everything. Then you piggyback the PC. The ecu can do everything the add on pc does just not everyone has the codes to program the ecu. Geoff can reprogram the ecu back to standard at any time or upgrade the new maps as needed too. You don't really need a PC once the ecu is set up properly on the rolling road. You didn't need one beforehand...

Last edited:
You have to go with what you feel is best for you fella.
I will say though your ecu already controls everything. Then you piggyback the PC. The ecu can do everything the add on pc does just not everyone has the codes to program the ecu. Geoff can reprogram the ecu back to standard at any time or upgrade the new maps as needed too. You don't really need a PC once the ecu is set up properly on the rolling road. You didn't need one beforehand...

I think the point that he was trying to get at in the previous post is that with a PC you can change everything on the fly....much easier than having to visit your tuner, pull the bike apart to get back to the ECU every time you want to change maps. Unless of course you get everything tuned in just right and are pretty much set on keeping it where it is.

As far as I know he uses the ecu to write the new map on while he has it on the rolling road. A pc just piggybacks your own ecu where as Geoff goes direct in the same way yamaha does. He also changes other things on your ecu like gear restrictions and other things. It's better than buying a PC then having to get that set up on a rolling road. At the extra cost of the PC. A PC only does fueling, your own ecu does everything. It's far cheaper and better to get Geoff to rewrite your own ecu he can do everything a PC can do and more direct.
So yes he plugs direct into your own ecu. He has all the relevant codes to do it, for just about any bike I think too

Thanks for the info. I got 1 last question if you dont mind. How much did it cost to have it done this way?

I think the point that he was trying to get at in the previous post is that with a PC you can change everything on the fly....much easier than having to visit your tuner, pull the bike apart to get back to the ECU every time you want to change maps. Unless of course you get everything tuned in just right and are pretty much set on keeping it where it is.

Well the thing is, your right in saying once the bike is tuned on the rolling road and set up correctly you won't need to change anything why would you change things if it's tuned lovely.. On the fly isn't needed. Also you don't need to take the bike apart to retune/remap either. It's just lift the rider seat and plug into the fly lead from the ecu. The hardest part I guess is strapping it down on the rolling road and lifting the seat, then it's all done by the computer, and the tuners skill of course

Thanks for the info. I got 1 last question if you dont mind. How much did it cost to have it done this way?

A lot cheaper than buying a PC then booking a rolling road tune. I think it's about £280 if I remember. Call Geoff he da man buddy.

A lot cheaper than buying a PC then booking a rolling road tune. I think it's about £280 if I remember. Call Geoff he da man buddy. ��

Will do mate. I was just curious, deffo much cheaper then PC and tune + a flash anyway, Get it all done in one place

Will do mate. I was just curious, deffo much cheaper then PC and tune + a flash anyway, Get it all done in one place

That's exactly what I thought too plus you haven't got a power commander to go wrong or on display for the insurance company to see if you forgot to tell them in the event of a road trash...
Your own ecu is direct just like it is in standard form but breathed on..! My bike just rips and every time an update is done its a ride out for me to see Geoff and a simple plug in update. Geoff tunes some top BSB riders and a lot of other top riders too, plus he's a rider himself.
He knows his stuff��

Last edited:
That's exactly what I thought too plus you haven't got a power commander to go wrong or on display for the insurance company to see if you forgot to tell them in the event of a road trash...
Your own ecu is direct just like it is in standard form but breathed on..! My bike just rips and every time an update is done its a ride out for me to see Geoff and a simple plug in update. Geoff tunes some top BSB riders and a lot of other top riders too, plus he's a rider himself.
He knows his stuff��
If you are close to Geoff and can ride over there at any point (rather then shipping the ECU out like the vast majority of FZer's will have to do) then there is certainly no drawback to having the fueling tuned in the ECU. . .Looking at your mod list, you haven't done a full exhaust system. There is certainly SIGNIFICANT midrange power to be gained by dumping the stock header (it's collecter section too short for proper midrange performance) and replacing it with a well designed full system (like the Yosh), so if you decided to continure the evolution of your mods by adding a full exhaust system then your current fueling from Geoff is no longer ideal. Will he charge you for the retune for the full exhaust? If you didn't live close to him, you would need to take your bike off line and ship the ECU out to him. . . .For many riders the mod process is an evolution rather than "once and done." Being able to download fueling maps or having your local tuner tune it makes having a PC (which a lot of us already had in the days before the availability of ECU flashing) a nice feature.

Last edited:
If you are close to Geoff and can ride over there at any point (rather then shipping the ECU out like the vast majority of FZer's will have to do) then there is certainly no drawback to having the fueling tuned in the ECU. . .Looking at your mod list, you haven't done a full exhaust system. There is certainly SIGNIFICANT midrange power to be gained by dumping the stock header (it's collecter section too short for proper midrange performance) and replacing it with a well designed full system (like the Yosh), so if you decided to continure the evolution of your mods by adding a full exhaust system then your current fueling from Geoff is no longer ideal. Will he charge you for the retune for the full exhaust? If you didn't live close to him, you would need to take your bike off line and ship the ECU out to him. . . .For many riders the mod process is an evolution rather than "once and done." Being able to download fueling maps or having your local tuner tune it makes having a PC (which a lot of us already had in the days before the availability of ECU flashing) a nice feature.

Hi fella, I'm not really close to Geoff at hilltop motorcycles. It's about a 250 mile round trip. Having your bike tuned on the rolling road is far superior to just having your ecu remaped but I think most of us know that. Once your bike is rolling road tuned that's it job done. The only time you would go back is for updates on firmware that's if you want them and to as you say evolve.. There won't be many updates I imagine as once your bike is pushing 150bhp at the rear wheel like mine is, there won't be getting a lot more unless you start doing serious head work.
Your right in spotting I've not yet got a full exhaust sytem to my ride. The reason is I'm looking for micron serpent headers to go with the serpent GP race end can I'm using. I guess I could use Arrow headers if I can't find the micron headers.
I recon Geoff can also do an ecu flash by you sending your ecu and him flashing it and posting it back but it's not ever going to be as good as a rolling road tune for that particular engine with the bolts on's it has.
It's what you want and what's convenient to you I guess at the end of the day.
I trust Geoff as much as some trust other tuners. Geoff tunes some top race machines in british super bikes and Isle of man racers and he knows his stuff well. I'm lucky I guess it's only a day out for me to get a tune up.
Good luck in whatever you do its all better than oem at the end of the day eh..

Don't know about the Micron headers, but the Arrow's, while being sweet looking and allowing you to keep your current slip on, don't fill in the midrange like the Yosh system does. Its about a 8-10hp difference between the Arrows and the Yosh at 7.5k (and a full 10hp over the stock header). That's power that you use everyday. The 150 on top can be had pretty easily without at flash but its the potential for sublime power delivery, without any gear based power restrictions that the ECU flash really can shine. . .I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "firmware" updates as going from a slipon / stock header to a full system wouldn't be a "firmware" update in my book and would certainly warrant a trip back to the tuner for some fueling work. This is the kind of "evolution" that I am talking about. Again, I wonder if that will cost you for a full retune??
Those using Ivan's ECU flash package along with a power commander and one of his maps (tailored to the bikes mods) seem to be pretty happy with the results. While there may be some gains to be had from a full on custom tune, they would undoubtedly be small. Check out his ECU flash thread on the FZ10a site if you want to see the level of satisfaction.
I personally like the idea of loosing the Power Commander and having all the fueling mods done in the ECU. I don't expect to be changing the intake or exhaust mods that I currently have. That said, its not really an option for me to take my bike in to someone with the proper knowledge and skills to do the work. Ivan will be getting my ECU over the winter and I will need to keep the PC . . .

Last edited:
Don't know about the Micron headers, but the Arrow's, while being sweet looking, don't fill in the midrange like the Yosh system does. Its about a 8-10hp difference between the Arrows and the Yosh at 7.5k (and a full 10hp over the stock header). That's power that you use everyday. The 150 on top can be had pretty easily without at flash but its the potential for sublime power delivery, without any gear based power restrictions that the ECU flash really can shine. . .I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "firmware" updates as going from a slipon / stock header to a full system wouldn't be a "firmware" update in my book and would certainly warrant a trip back to the tuner for some fueling work. This is the kind of "evolution" that I am talking about. Again, I wonder if that will cost you for a full retune??

When I was talking about firmware update I was referring to just the ecu programming not any hardware like headers or end cans or velosity stacks etc. Just the programing of what's in the ecu. Like improvements to the programs that run the device (firmware). These improvements are released as firmware updates. It adds things and fixes bugs etc I hope that clarifies it a bit more for you fella.

Last edited:
I had my ECU re mapped on the dyno with Hilltop. Significant bump in power and torque 147rwhp and 76lb/ft torque (my post is somewhere on here) Geoff certainly knows his stuff, although I paid a bit more than the £280 you quote! It has more than enough oomph for me now, need to focus on upgrading the suspension now so that the awesome R1 derived power can be harnessed, bring on spring!

I had my ECU re mapped on the dyno with Hilltop. Significant bump in power and torque 147rwhp and 76lb/ft torque (my post is somewhere on here) Geoff certainly knows his stuff, although I paid a bit more than the £280 you quote! It has more than enough oomph for me now, need to focus on upgrading the suspension now so that the awesome R1 derived power can be harnessed, bring on spring!

Great stuff fella I'm glad your happy with Geoffs work on the dyno.
I can tell you his new flash will be ready at the begining of February. I'm going to get mine updated sometime then. I said £280 but to be honest I've forgotten now oops. I'm sure I'm not far out though. The fuel glitch should be sorted out even better this time with the new firmware update. The power of my ride is awesome and I just love the ride better than the sports bikes I e had. I put a nitron race shock on the rearand that too is awesome easy as good as the Ohlins ive had on my other bikes. I just want a better set of headers now and maybe some nice fancy wavey discs. I've done quite a few mods but there's always more eh lol

Back