Engine Stops at Idle?

MrHix

Folks,

I need a little help here.

2009 US Spec FZ1, 6800 miles. Three oil/filter changes.

Engine starts normally when cold. Settles into slightly higher idle when cold then drops to about 1000 rpm. Above idle, bike feels normal: no surging, hesitation, bogging, etc. When engine is warm (192 degrees F) and motor drops to idle, sometimes it dies. Restart requires some throttle and sometimes multiple tries. Engine will have erratic idle, 1000 – 700 rpm or so, and then die if throttle is not applied. No engine trouble warning light or fault code.

Modifications: Cat gut, Akrapovic can, AIS blocked, FCE installed, SpeedoDRD installed, EXUP cables removed but module in place, O2 sensor attached.

Any help to focus my search for the problem? I am going to check spark plugs, fuel line, air cleaner, and try to get it into diagnostic mode to see what I can find.

Thanks,

MrHix

I doubt it's spark plugs or fuel. I have noticed that my bike will have an erratic idle on rare occasions also. This usually happens after I start it back up after sitting for a few minutes once it has reached operating temperature.

Try a simple experiment...raise the idle to 1200-1300 RPM and see if it helps with the issue. Might be all that is needed.

I'm with Tony... bump the idle to at least 1200. Then, sync the throttle bodies to balance her out. 6800 miles isn't a lot on the plugs.

Last, try unplugging the FCE and running stock with the fuel cut if the above two things don't improve it.

I ran the idle up to 1250 rpm with the engine at normal temp (200 degrees F) and it worked fine. Now I need to ride test it to make sure.

Thanks,

MrHix

I ran the idle up to 1250 rpm with the engine at normal temp (200 degrees F) and it worked fine. Now I need to ride test it to make sure.

Thanks,

MrHix

Keep us posted. I know raising my idle to 1300 RPM helped a lot in my case and you can see my mods in my signature below.

I have been having to deal with the same unpredictable idle issue since I bought my 09. Sometimes it idles fine, sometimes when hot it stalls, it’s been all over the place. It even had a slight hesitation upon take off when warm. Your suggestion to raise the idle from the preset 750rpm to 1,000-1,200rpm has made all the difference in the world. The bike is so sweet to ride I almost came allover myself on the ride in this morning.

Thanks NJFZ1 & FZ1inNH for such a simple repair.

Steve:wow:

I have been having to deal with the same unpredictable idle issue since I bought my 09. Sometimes it idles fine, sometimes when hot it stalls, it’s been all over the place. It even had a slight hesitation upon take off when warm. Your suggestion to raise the idle from the preset 750rpm to 1,000-1,200rpm has made all the difference in the world. The bike is so sweet to ride I almost came allover myself on the ride in this morning.

Thanks NJFZ1 & FZ1inNH for such a simple repair.

Steve:wow:

Glad to hear that it helped you as well. I know it made a big difference with my bike too. After I did all the mods and installed the PC V the same thing would happen to my bike. I wasn't sure if it was because of the mods that I had done or not, but raising the idle "cured" it of it's ailment :D

Back