exhaust

Hi new member i am wanting to change the exhaust can will i have to fit power commander on.Will there be a big difference to the power will it be for the better also wot do you do to the eup valve . Any advise will be greatly appreciated:UK flag::UK flag:

Welcome batunball,
The forum can be a wealth of information about many products/issues. The exhaust thing is one of the first pieces to get changed on the new FZ1. They aren't cheap and depending on which one you go for, you may want or have to add a PCIII, which also aren't cheap. The PCIII is mainly to keep from ending up with a fuel mixture that is too lean after opening up the exhaust flow but they can be added even before an exhaust change to richen up what many tuners look at as a factory mixture that is very lean to begin with. I took it one step further and added a A/F sensor and gauge to keep an eye on my mixture myself and then adjust the PCIII to what I want. Many will advise against adjusting it yourself after you have added a PCIII with a map that has been done by a professional but if you change it in small increments it's hard to get is messed up and you always have the original map to fall back on. As to the power increase, you'll probably get between 5 and 10 h.p. and TQ increase at best and until you have really opened it up I doubt you'll see/feel the difference unless you are on a dyno or at the track. It's much more a visual and personalization thing than anything else. Do what makes you happy but be sure you don't get in over your head and make adds/changes you don't understand. I went with the MIVV Suono but that's only my preference, there are a lot of good cans out there just as good.

Hello,
I just purchased a Yoshimura RS-3 slip-on for my 2001 fz1 yesterday (Jet-Ski Parts, Sportbike Parts, Snowmobile Parts, ATV Parts -) for $294 with free shipping. After consulting with some locals, I was told that this exhaust probably wouldn't require any carb tuning...Albuquerque, NM is over a mile up. Hopefully this will be the case and the change over will be relatively simple.

at 5,312 ft of elevation... you should be jetted already... about 122.5 mains... and 3-3.5 turns on the air screws... also a .5mm shim under each of the needles.

...is that jetting for more fuel or less? The bike I have was owned by a local, I am not sure if he did any tuning on the carbs. How can you know if the bike is running right? The old plug color check doesn't work well with unleaded gas. The bike certainly seems to pull like a tractor when you get on it.

I've been running slip-on (w/o jetting) but working on that....and the estimated mileage will be dropped -- but the tractor factor should be much improved....

...is that jetting for more fuel or less? The bike I have was owned by a local, I am not sure if he did any tuning on the carbs. How can you know if the bike is running right? The old plug color check doesn't work well with unleaded gas. The bike certainly seems to pull like a tractor when you get on it.

smaller mains = less fuel... at that elevation, I'd drop the main size... adjust the needles and air screws... and do the air-box mod... and port the boots...

to check that it's running right.... hmmm... plug check does work with U/L fuel... so you can check that... and look at the headers... are they gold? Blue? then walk around to the back of the exhaust... wipe your finger in the hole... black? white? grey? are there any flat spots while running around town, does it tend to stumble, then pick up from a stop? do you find yourself giving it an extra 800-1000 RPM just to get moving from a stop light?

lots of things to consider... it's almost easier to just go ahead and dig into the carbs.

smaller mains = less fuel... at that elevation, I'd drop the main size... adjust the needles and air screws... and do the air-box mod... and port the boots...

to check that it's running right.... hmmm... plug check does work with U/L fuel... so you can check that... and look at the headers... are they gold? Blue? then walk around to the back of the exhaust... wipe your finger in the hole... black? white? grey? are there any flat spots while running around town, does it tend to stumble, then pick up from a stop? do you find yourself giving it an extra 800-1000 RPM just to get moving from a stop light?

lots of things to consider... it's almost easier to just go ahead and dig into the carbs.
If you decide that you should want an extra set of stock carbs, for a price, I'll have a set available shortly from my jet kit upgrade.

BroHay

Last edited:
Leo Vince slip on help

Hi... I'm new to the forum and I'm not a mechanical genius but I can do minor repairs. I have a 2009 FZ1. I just got my new Leo Vince slip-on. I was wondering what am I supposed to do with the catalytic converter connections? In order to pull off the stock pipe I have to somehow get rid of the smog stuff. The new pipe doesn't use the smog connections that I can see according to the diagram. Does anyone have any information they can share as to what you do with a new pipe that doesn't use the factory catalytic converter? Here's the link to my new pipe. The picture on their website is incorrect. The new slip-on is actually carbon which I prefer.

https://www.leovinceusa.com/cart/pr...es1=Includes Optional Quiet Insert&shipping=5

thanks,

Al

Al,
I assume you're referring to the EXUP valve and cables. If so the valve will be removed when you remove the stock muffler with built in catalytic converter. There is still another catalytic converter in the stock header collector.

As for the EXUP cables you can zip tie them out of the way or remove them from the servo motor located under the front seat. You may also want to read this tread:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii/2254-wat.html

I got the pipe off now. But my centerstand seems like it's getting in the way. Do I have to remove my center stand? Leo Vince has some part they show to use for center stand models but they don't show how to install it... go figure... :) the saga continues... any suggestions?

thanks,

al

I got my new Leo Vince slip-on installed yesterday. It looks awesome! I even figured how to keep my center stand on. They provide a part that keeps the center stand from hitting the swingarm and away from the pipe. The sound is way cool too... :) I will upload some pics of the install steps and final assembly. I definitely ran into a few gotchas but it all worked out and I'm stoked. Thanks for all the help!

al

I got my new Leo Vince slip-on installed yesterday. It looks awesome! I even figured how to keep my center stand on. They provide a part that keeps the center stand from hitting the swingarm and away from the pipe. The sound is way cool too... :) I will upload some pics of the install steps and final assembly. I definitely ran into a few gotchas but it all worked out and I'm stoked. Thanks for all the help!

al

Glad to hear you got it all straightened out. Now go out there and enjoy the new power and sound :D

I got the pipe off now. But my centerstand seems like it's getting in the way. Do I have to remove my center stand? Leo Vince has some part they show to use for center stand models but they don't show how to install it... go figure... :) the saga continues... any suggestions?

thanks,

al
Yeah, it should come with a little metal peice that you attach with a hex wrench.
My akrapovic came with it. It takes 30sec to install it too. Quick and easy. LeoVince should have sent you one too if you ordered it direct. If not I'm sure it's cheap.

... The old plug color check doesn't work well with unleaded gas...

I'm wondering what makes you claim this? I am also a member of the XJbikes forum because I have an 1981 XJ550 in addition to the FZ1. On that forum they are always talking about doing just that, and I have always tuned my XJ by checking the plug color. Works just fine.

Back