EXUP Valve Servicing

Well, believe it or not it's actually 50 degrees and sunny out here in NY right now at 8:50am. While I should be taking advantage of the weather by taking a ride today, I decided to rather remove my EXUP Valve and do the servicing on it. I have adjusted the cables in the past but have not completely removed the valve for a cleaning and re-grease. I'll of course be taking step-by-step pictures of the procedure to post here this afternoon. I'm also going to lube all me cables. Tune in later for the results!

Good luck getting the bolts out. You may need a propane torch to heat the area around them real good. Also you may want to consider using ss screws when assembling it all back, especially for the 3 screws that hold the valve in the exhaust.

All Done! Man, what a day it was outside. I really had to decide whether or not to go for a ride or get the servicing done. I voted to do the later. It went flawlessly and I recommend anyone with over 15k on the odometer to at least inspect the valve for carbon build-up and sticking. Here come the pics:

First I let the slack out of the two servo cables to get them loose....
EXUPService024.jpg

Here is the pulley cover that needs to be removed. It is found on the kickstand side of the bike.....
EXUPService002.jpg

This is the pulley assembly you'll find behind the cover......
EXUPService004.jpg

I used my PB Blaster Spray on the three bolts on the valve housing. I left it set in for about 15 minutes.....
EXUPService005.jpg

Here is the Nut, Pulley, Washer, and Spring, which came off in that order....
EXUPService007.jpg

The three bolts came off rather easily. The penetrating oil really makes a difference!.......
EXUPService009.jpg

Here is the EXUP Valve removed from the housing. While it wasn't really filthy, it was coated with carbon deposits as were the bushings.
EXUPService010.jpg

I checked the other end which has another bushing which I left inside because it was very clean inside.
EXUPService011.jpg

This was the entire assembly in the order it came out. Everything was pretty much carbon coated.
EXUPService013.jpg

I used 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and cleaned up all the parts after I had sprayed them all with brake parts cleaner. Everything was shiney and bright when I was done!
EXUPService016.jpg

I greased everthing with copper grease and re-installed the valve back into the housing. Remember all your bushings!
EXUPService018.jpg

I bolted the cable assembly back into place and cinched down the bolts.
EXUPService019.jpg

Next was the pulley assembly bolted back on. Remember to put the spring first, washer second, and the pulley last, and re-attach the cables.
EXUPService020.jpg

I inserted the allen key back into the line-up hole and re-adjusted the cable back to no more than 1.5mm of play. I then hit the cover with the 1000 grit paper to shine it up and re-installed.
EXUPService023.jpg

Thats It! All done!

I figured that before going back upstairs, I would lube my cables. I started with the clutch cable being the easiest to get to.......
EXUPService027.jpg

EXUPService028.jpg

After the cables were done I swapped out my footpeg cushion that Tony gave me a while back. It fit perfect.

Before: All chewed up at the end.....
EXUPService029.jpg

After: Brand Spankin' New Thanks Tony!!....
EXUPService031.jpg

So thats it. I hope these pictures will help someone new to the FZ1 to be able to do the work themselves rather than pay someone to do it for them.

Last edited:
Great step by step and pictures Billy. I too decided to take apart the EXUP on my YZF1000. Unfortunately things didn't go as smoothly as they did for you. One of the screws holding the valve broke off. Luckily it sheared with enough left to grab with a pair of Vise-Grips. I left it soaking in penetrating oil overnight and will try to remove it tomorrow. Will be putting it back together with ss bolts and plenty of anti-seize that's for sure!

Glad that peg cover worked out for you...

Great pics and write-up Billy... Good Job!!

How long did it take you to get insanely pissed off with that cable luber? I've gone through about 5 of those puppies... They never work for me... but for some reason, people keep getting them as gifts for me... so... every time... I'll try them.. thinking maybe the previous one was a bad one... then... it ends up about 200 feet away in the middle of the woods somewhere...

Great pics and write-up Billy... Good Job!!

How long did it take you to get insanely pissed off with that cable luber? I've gone through about 5 of those puppies... They never work for me... but for some reason, people keep getting them as gifts for me... so... every time... I'll try them.. thinking maybe the previous one was a bad one... then... it ends up about 200 feet away in the middle of the woods somewhere...

Glad to have you back Aaron. I hope you both had a great time on the Honeymoon and that you passed all your tests.

I wound up holding a rag over one end to get the flow from leaking out. The throttle cable was a pain in the butt. I wound up going in without the adapter on that one. The clutch is smooth as silk now.

What is the recommended service interval for the EXUP valve?

it depends on where you are, how many miles you put on in a given span... etc... if you live in WA and put on 1000 miles a week in the rain... things get covered in carbon a bit quicker just because of the cool/wet running across the bottom of the header making the carbon stick to things instead of passing through...

Here's what I do... "check" cable tension every oil change... in the time the oil is draining, you have more than enough time to check the cables AND go to the fridge for a fresh beer. ... Pull the EXUP and do a thorough cleaning once a year if you have to put the machine in the garage for winter, twice a year if you ride year round.. adjust if you live in warmer/cooler temps.... if your bike runs rich, or lean also adjust times....

What is the recommended service interval for the EXUP valve?

There isn't one....Yamaha does not make any mention of servicing it, just adjusting the servo motor cables. However, time and experience have shown that you better service it or sooner or later you will have issues with it. I would say that once you take it apart and clean it, then assemble it with anti-seize on the bolts it becomes an easy job that you can do once a year.

I was amazed at just how simple it was to do. Tony is right on about the anti-seize for the bolts. I am however going to buy a lift. I can't be laying down on the garage floor anymore. My flippin' leg is bothering me today.

great write up....guess I'll inspect mine prior to replacing it with a muzzy header....that way I can say I've at least attempted service....

Wow - great narration too!

So if the EXUP thing gets too dirty, what is the indication (loss of performance)?

Also, if the cables are a bit loose... what does this cause?

So if the EXUP thing gets too dirty, what is the indication (loss of performance)?

When you remove that first cover, turn the key to the "on" position and then "off". The pulley should line up over that little set hole. If not, it's possible that the valve is partially closed already which would probably affect your low end power. The reason for cleaning is really just for ease of movement so It doesn't get stuck in any one position.

If your cables are loose, it may cause the EXUP valve to be in the wrong position as your on the throttle which may affect low end performance. To adjust it's easy.

1- loosen the adjustment cables (just below the tank on the right side)
2- line up the pulley with the two legs lined up over the alignment hole
3- insert a hex key in the hole to keep the pulley in place
4- start tightening the cable again, leaving no more than 1.5mm of play on the pulley either way
5- re-install the cover and have fun!

A little carbon build up on the actual valve isn't going to hurt anything, but if you take it apart like Billy did then you might as well clean it.

If the cables are a bit loose then obviously the valve will never be in its optimum position and performance will suffer. An obvious sign of loose cables is an EXUP valve that rattles at idle.

Last edited:
Back