First big night trip...

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
On the FZ1 anyway!!!

So, yesterday morning I packed up the Cortech tribags with stuff for the weekend and went to work. I knew it was going to rain that afternoon and into the evening. So, I put the rain covers on the luggage and carried in the one with my rain gear in it.

I got lucky because at about 6pm, the heavy rain let up and it turned to a drizzle. I still put on the full rain gear knowing the overspray from cages and wheelers would be heavy. Glad I did! I ended up slabbing it all the way to Old Town, ME from Portsmouth, NH. I got one stretch of a couple miles where it rained in Freeport but the rest of the ride was light misty stuff and overspray as I passed vehicles.

The Easy Pass failed when I entered the turnpike, but I said screw it and kept going. It is velcro'd and plainly visible. I figure if a cop did see it and come running, I'd claim ignorance and just point to the obvious pass in the bike. No one came after me though. I'll likely see a DOT "ticket" in the mail, which I'll attach a pic of the pass on the bike, sign and sent it to them so they can take their money.

There were zero idiots out for the night! I didn't have a single problem with anyone trying to cut me off. I think the added reflective piping all over the rain suit was a big plus. Most cages just moved over to let me pass and pull back out behind me.

I only saw one LEO in 200 miles and he was clocking southbound traffic. Even if we was clocking me, I was in a small cluster of cars and only doing 8 mph over according to the GPS.

I really wish we had a more visual warning, like a bright light, for low fuel. When I noticed I was flashing and running on F Trip, I already had 21 miles turned! I dove off the very next exit which I happened to almost pass by as I was glaring at the guage.... Made it to the station and filled up. (Note to self... have ALL gas cards handy and not in your wallet under a rain suit, motorcycle overpants and jeans beneath!) That took some digging!

The remainder of the trip was just as uneventful. I only saw one critter and that was in the last mile of I95 before the exit to my Mother's house. It was a bobcat. Big one too. He came out to the white line and saw me coming, then turned and went back down the embankment as I passed by. Beautiful cats even in the dark with headlights only!

So, the first night trip.... in not so great weather on the FZ1 was surprizingly enjoyable! I return Sunday during the day and will be taking back roads to go to NH from here. Can't wait for that part of this tour!

Off to clean and lube the chain which is NASTY after that evening ride!

Safe riding all! Enjoy the nice weather if you are lucky to have it.

Last edited:
Just snapped this and was in a hurry... with the BB camera... Not great but this is my Mom's front yard almost daily...

View attachment 561

I bet you don't see one when hunting season starts. Sounds like the rain didn't hold you back. I myself don't like riding at night, especially here in NY. The darkness seems to bring out all the idiots. Glad you made it okay. Enjoy the rest of your little trip!

I bet you don't see one when hunting season starts. Sounds like the rain didn't hold you back. I myself don't like riding at night, especially here in NY. The darkness seems to bring out all the idiots. Glad you made it okay. Enjoy the rest of your little trip!

Yes, you do actually. Where she lives is all considered a game preserve so the deer here haven't been hunted. There's a HUGE doe out back with two small crotch-horn bucks that look like twins. There was 7 out there this morning.

The rain gear worked great but the rain covers for the Cortech luggage? Not so good. The tail bag was OK but the saddle bags were soaked. So, after getting here, I had to toss my clean clothes into the dryer for a while. The rest of the stuff was in ziplock bags. The laptop was in the tail bag AND a large plastic bag. :D

I expected more idiots but everyone was just great, even in the heavier tourist traffic coming up from other states.

Sunday's ride back will be a great one, all back roads and in sunny daylight! :yes:

Glad to see a rider who doesn't mind bearing the elements and getting their ride wet and grotty. :cheers:

Is that a regular route for you? Riding the rain on road you know is the best place to passively improve your wet weather riding.

Glad to see a rider who doesn't mind bearing the elements and getting their ride wet and grotty. :cheers:

Is that a regular route for you? Riding the rain on road you know is the best place to passively improve your wet weather riding.

Thanks! I ride in the rain often... the only time I don't take the bike when it is raining is when I am leaving for work and it is a downpour. I hate getting all the stuff on to go to work. But, I'll take the gear with me and ride home in the rain!

It is a well travelled route for me. It's one of those long trips where you can drive it in your sleep. :D Excellent point though!

I head back today... mild clouds and 80 degrees at the moment.

Made it back home... :D Uneventful save one incident. I was on I95 southbound and came upon a truck hauling a bass boat on a trailer. As he is passing cars and I am behind him, I see STUFF pop up from the boat and start flying right at me! CRAP! WTF is it? Thankfully, it was a plastic bag that had garbage in it, paper and wrappers of sorts but scared the crap out of me when you think about all the things you HOPE it isn't! So, I laid on the horn (really need a stebel!) and started flashing lights... he pulls over immediately and I pull up next to him and point back where the debris is still flying... he pulled off to the breakdown lane and I sped off. Whew!

It was mostly cloudy and I hit some very light rain for a few miles, but not enough to make me stop and put on the rain gear. It dried almost as fast as it hit my mesh gear. So, another 500 miles on the new bike. :D

Great weekend with my Mother too. She'll be 80 in September so I visit as often as I can get away now.

Made it back home... :D Uneventful save one incident. I was on I95 southbound and came upon a truck hauling a bass boat on a trailer. As he is passing cars and I am behind him, I see STUFF pop up from the boat and start flying right at me! CRAP! WTF is it? Thankfully, it was a plastic bag that had garbage in it, paper and wrappers of sorts but scared the crap out of me when you think about all the things you HOPE it isn't!

Thank God it wasn't dirty diapers!! Glad you had a good time. As for your Mom....God bless her! I can only hope to make it to 80. I was also thinking that my Mom lives in Vegas. Now that would be some road trip hey!?

Thank God it wasn't dirty diapers!! Glad you had a good time. As for your Mom....God bless her! I can only hope to make it to 80. I was also thinking that my Mom lives in Vegas. Now that would be some road trip hey!?

Well, let me know in advance... I wouldn't want you headed out there alone! Too dangerous! ;)

Mom's a tough old bird... she's had two heart attacks and at 76, survived a bad case of C. DIFF which at that age, is almost unheard of to live through it. I think she's going to outlive me!

Back