First Hand Gun

I have hunted and shot skeet most of my life. never owned a hand guna and never even had a desire to shot one. ....until recentlyly. I have been shopping for weeks and getting my hands on everything I can in the stores. My two favorite guns came down to the Glock 19 and the Beretta 92. I actually liked the Beretta better but could not justify spending $200 more.

So today I put a 9mm Glock 19 Gen4 on layaway at a local shop. I plan to get it one month from today rather than waiting out the 90 day layaway. That give me 30 days to figure out how I will rationalize it to my wife. :cowboy:

There was a murder a few doors down from where I live. I always wanted a handgun, and my wife finally told me to go get one the day after that shooting.

Now i've expanded the collection to multiple...Its like a bug.

There was a murder a few doors down from where I live. I always wanted a handgun, and my wife finally told me to go get one the day after that shooting.

Now i've expanded the collection to multiple...Its like a bug.

Like any of us need one more thing to spend money on right?

In the event you decide against the Glock, take a look at the Taurus PT92. I personally HATE Taurus but they basically directly copied the 92FS (M9) Beretta and they are quite good guns. Usually in the 450 ballpark for blued and 520 for SS.

I am a full steel gun fan, so I steer towards heavy tank like guns like Desert Eagles and things like that. I do however really love the Springfield XD lineup. They shoot fantastic.

Try to shoot a Glock before you buy one. I hate their triggers.

Actually the Beretta 92 was my first choice. I love that gun. Just was not willing to pay $200 more. Maybe later if this is something I get in to and start collecting.

I have hunted and shot skeet most of my life. never owned a hand guna and never even had a desire to shot one. ....until recentlyly. I have been shopping for weeks and getting my hands on everything I can in the stores. My two favorite guns came down to the Glock 19 and the Beretta 92. I actually liked the Beretta better but could not justify spending $200 more.

So today I put a 9mm Glock 19 Gen4 on layaway at a local shop. I plan to get it one month from today rather than waiting out the 90 day layaway. That give me 30 days to figure out how I will rationalize it to my wife. :cowboy:

The Glock 19 is probably the best "size" handgun Glock offers but the 9mm Parabellum cartridge is really the minimum to stop a threat. I have given up on the 9mm and won't use any pistol cartridge smaller than .40 S&W. The Glock 23 fits that category.

The Beretta 92/M9 is a full size Duty Weapon/Service Pistol and offers no advantages but it does have a selective safety where the Glock doesn't. Most ND's (Negligent Discharges) are Glocks and being initiated by LEO's. No safety? Don't blame me.

The Taurus equivalent to Beretta 92 are manufactured in Brazil by Taurus and using production machinery from Beretta but Taurus improved the design by moving the safety to the frame and utilizing a downward sweep to deselect the safety.

For practical safety, home and personal defense, the Glocks are very popular but I won't carry a gun without a selectable safety and I carry everyday, everywhere and have for years. No safety? No carry.

The guys on the Pyro Tour didn't know it but I don't leave home without out it. While we waited by the public park as several moved into their nearby motel rooms, I expressed my concern and said I couldn't go into the "Boots & Buckles Saloon" in Leakey as it is a TABC "51%" rated establishment. However, we moved over to the De La Fuentes restaurant and my Springfield .45 cheerfully went along. I don't knowingly break the law or my CHL permit could be revoked and I'd be back to the same level as good unarmed folks that just hope the bad guys don't hurt them when they steal their property.

And, I don't ride without a helmet or drive without a seat belt. Don't mess with Texas!

Last edited:
If you want to debate peoples rights to defend themselves or own wepons please open your own new thread. This thread is mine and is not here to foster such a debate.

Last edited:
If you want to debate peoples rights to defend themselves or own wepons please open your own new thread. This thread is mine and is not here to foster such a debate.

Hail, with all respect, perhaps your comment needs to be directed at those good folks that are subject to the laws of other nations where the right to ownership of firearms is is determined by a political appointee or minor government bureaucrat.

In America, it is a right.

Otherwise, it may be in your interest to request that a Moderator lock the thread but The 1st Amendment To The Constitution Of The United States Of America guarantees the freedom of speech.

Your thread, your choice, but Constitutional Rights are precious. Just not in other nations where "rights" have been reduced to permissions from the Rulers.

In the event you decide against the Glock, take a look at the Taurus PT92. I personally HATE Taurus but they basically directly copied the 92FS (M9) Beretta and they are quite good guns. Usually in the 450 ballpark for blued and 520 for SS.

I am a full steel gun fan, so I steer towards heavy tank like guns like Desert Eagles and things like that. I do however really love the Springfield XD lineup. They shoot fantastic.

Try to shoot a Glock before you buy one. I hate their triggers.

That's because Taurus bought out one of Beretta's plants and employed several of their engineersl. BAM! Taurus really upped it's game and began to break into the US Market. This is from memory so I don't know the guys names but that was when you started seeing Taurus become a better gun IMHO.
I have a Taurus 24/7 40 cal and I really like it. It fits my hand perfectly. The trigger is a long for my liking but you can always adjust that.
I have caught the bug for something else.

Springfield XDM 40 cal

spg_XDM9202HCSP.jpg

This will be my next gun. LOVE this thing!!!!

Congrats on the gun Brad. Just tell your wife that you are keeping the family safe. :deal:

Hail, with all respect, perhaps your comment needs to be directed at those good folks that are subject to the laws of other nations where the right to ownership of firearms is is determined by a political appointee or minor government bureaucrat.

In America, it is a right.

Otherwise, it may be in your interest to request that a Moderator lock the thread but The 1st Amendment To The Constitution Of The United States Of America guarantees the freedom of speech.

Your thread, your choice, but Constitutional Rights are precious. Just not in other nations where "rights" have been reduced to permissions from the Rulers.

I am perfectly aware of my rights. If you want to start a post about rights please do so.

I shot a Walther PPK a while ago. Pretty cool little gun. Compact and powerful. With respect to the originator of this thread I will not enter the philosophical debate about firearms at this point.

IMHO you got a perfect pistol. This is a big statement for me cause I'm a HARDCORE M1911A1 guy. I still carry a 1976 production Colt 70 Series off duty on a regular basis. I griped about the 92 - M9's for years, but ended up going distinguished marksman and Governer's 20 with it in military comps. Even then I bad mouthed it as "Not My Colt". My first Glock shooting was before I became a Deputy and was training Police Snipers as a military advisor/observer with a local joint SWAT team in the silliness prior to Y2K. I was on my typical 1911 Cult bashing when I was offered to shoot a Glock 21 in .45ACP. After a few mags I bashed it again. "It's Ugly" "it's Plasic" The vetern SWAT guy said this " Yeah, it's terrible. It's extreamely acuurate, holds a lot of bullets and allways works. Who wants a peice of sh*t that?" Shortly after I bought a 21 and a 19 of my own. I sold both but replaced the 21 with a gen 3 with rails and still carry it 5 days a week. My 19 was replaced by a Walther p99 in 9mm that is my second off duty pistol. I really like the Glock. New gen 4's are even better. You can do alot worse. 9mm is a great round. Modern light, fast ammo loaded to +p and +p+ ammo is just DEVISTATING to a threat. In some cases out performing .40 S&W. I shoot Hornady 115 grain +p+ in my P99. The 9 is low recoil, cheip to shoot and a proven round for combat and defence. Don't sweat about the "no safety" crowd. I was one of them and I was conveted. Safe handling and experiance and training will help. This being your first pistol, youre damn lucky not to be like guys like me. We have "BAD HABBITS" like trusting mechanical lever safeties as we have our fingers on the trigger WAY TOO SOON. The Glock is the perfect example of the K.I.S.S. principal applied to a combat hand gun.
Glock21.jpg

Congrats on the Glock, you won't be dissapointed.

I have a bakers dozen of the most popular calibers....Usually with the family I carry a Beretta 950(25acp) or a SMK 380 (PPK knock=off)...because we are going to a family oriented outing, and what I need is just personnal protection, and not looking for a fire fight:cowboy:
If I have to drive to Dade County (Miami) I take my Browning Hi-Power....just because.
You'll be happy with the Glock....I also have a 23 that I carried for years which is now gathering dust bunnies.
Back to your dilemma:
2 months ago, I finally took my wife of 8 years to the range after finally convincing her she needs to know how to use the 357 I keep in the house for protection.
It was perfect timing, my mom came into town and watched the kids, we went out for some much needed grown=up time.
we went through a couple 100 rounds through 4 handguns, and she loved it, and wants to go back.
I also convinced her to get her CWP which she received 2 weeks ago. She will probably never carry, I would like her to at least keep one in her car, but it is at least a start.
Take her shooting.....then to a sports related store for some window shopping, and just mention it would be nice to have one in the house for PP...then spring the Glock on her in a week or 2.
Good Luck

I have a Beretta 92 as well, and it fires excellent. Nice and smooth, makes a great pistol. My next pistol is either a SA XDM or Beretta PX4, both excellent pistols, makes a difficult decision.

Although glocks do not have an external safety there is a company that makes a thumb safety which a gunsmith can intsall for you. I have a glock 26 (sub compact 9mm) I tried without the safety installed and was not comfortable carrying with one in the chamber and no external safety so I had the safety installed its around $100 and well worth it, now my primary pistol. Great guns and as for reliability they cant be beat

Back