Flies mod?

Hi there guys.
Just want to know if I modify the flies and airbox, but replace the stock air filter. Remove the cat and fit a leo vince gp exhaust. Do I need to fit a power commander for the fuelling or will the bike run too lean and maybe damage something? Or can I do the flies and air box without the pc?
Thanx:)

Do the power Commander, can muffler and a 16 tooth gear first and then figure out if you really want more power and throttle response. If this is a 06 also do the FCE.

This way the maps are free and you may be done spending money.

niklaas69,

From what I have gathered on this site from tuners and knowledgable folks, playing with the exhaust only usually does not require remapping (slip-on and cat gut). If you start making changes to the air/fuel intake system, you will probably need a PCIII or V to keep from running lean.

Cheers and have fun,

MrHix

P.S. whittle, need to setup a ride soon!

You'll need the pc if you do the slip, blocks, filter, box, etc. When I did all the stuff the bike failed to start without throttle. A new map saved the day. Ivan's E map made it all perfect.

I have done the modded sub-throttle plates, LARS airbox mod, de-screened the stock filter (waiting for it to be useless and replace with a BMC), AIS blockoff and a Two Bros slip-on but did not gut the cat (yet). While I know/feel I should put in a Power Commander of sorts and have it pro-tuned, I don't see any problems with the way it is running as it stands. I'm not seeing typical issues associated with a bike running too lean, only the same lean conditions that it came with from the factory.

That being said, my official answer would still be to err on the side of caution and put in a PC to get the bike mapped with fuel properly for all gears. At that point it is up to you and your pro-tuner to judge what the best map will be. Do you want it tuned for performance only (is this a track/hooligan only bike?)? Do you want it tuned for the best MPG (is this bike a commuter only?)? Or, do you want a mix of performance without suffering too much loss in MPG (weekday commuter and weekend hooligan/track?)?

You can likely find a map that fits your mods without having it pro-tuned but one thing a lot of people forget to find out and it is important... What elevation was this map made at/for? Elevation can make or (literally) break your bike's performance.

Hope that helps!

Nicklass were you asking because you weren't planning on doing it at all (PC)? As the other have stated with all those mods you'll probably need it. If money is tight then you can start with the exhaust side and then install the PC when you do the flies, airbox and filter.

whats the maximum as far as induction modifications you could recommend while still being safe then? Planning on replacing my factory filter soon and was thinking of adding graves velocity stacks and changing anything else that may be of benefit on the induction side while under there (minus hacking up my box i should say).

whats the maximum as far as induction modifications you could recommend while still being safe then? Planning on replacing my factory filter soon and was thinking of adding graves velocity stacks and changing anything else that may be of benefit on the induction side while under there (minus hacking up my box i should say).

Not sure that the Graves stacks are going to make a noticeable difference on and otherwise stock engine, but I guess it wont hurt. You should be fine with the the aftermarket filter and stacks...

However, if you're not going to modify the air box then there probably isn't much of a point of putting in an aftermarket filter. You won't be able to take advantage of the additional airflow, but I guess the fact that it's reusable is a plus.

Yamaha sells them as an accessory now. Yamaha FZ1 Accessories, Yamaha FZ1 Graves™ Motorsports Velocity Stacks ('04~'06 R1/'06~'09 FZ1)

Yamaha Corp said:
Graves™ Motorsports Velocity Stacks ('04~'06 R1/'06~'09 FZ1)
The Graves Motorsports Velocity Stack Kit is specially designed to suit the fuel injected Yamaha motor. The kit of four injection molded plastic intake stacks mount directly into the stock airbox without modification and are designed to smooth out the power curve, increase horsepower throughout and improve fuel efficiency. Power gains of 4 hp in the mid range and 2 hp at the top end are to be expected.

yah i'm not expecting to feel any difference with the first set of mods, just need a clean filter underneath, and would rather it were reusable as well as better flowing for future mods.

so i guess i'll be adding the graves stacks, mod the sub throttle plates, and k@n air filter at the same time (just so i don't have as many mods to do the next tank removal or prop up, whatever you'd like to call it). I may mod the box ,but i'll probably take offense to cutting on my newborn baby aka "lil red", so i doubt i'll do it, i'll just suffer the couple hp loss i suppose.

yah i'm not expecting to feel any difference with the first set of mods, just need a clean filter underneath, and would rather it were reusable as well as better flowing for future mods.

so i guess i'll be adding the graves stacks, mod the sub throttle plates, and k@n air filter at the same time (just so i don't have as many mods to do the next tank removal or prop up, whatever you'd like to call it). I may mod the box ,but i'll probably take offense to cutting on my newborn baby aka "lil red", so i doubt i'll do it, i'll just suffer the couple hp loss i suppose.

Go ahead and cut it. ;) It's a fairly inexpensive part to buy new from Ron Ayers should you decide it wasn't the right choice.

If you really want to low/mid range, you should put in a taller CAM such as the R1 cam. That still leaves your intake "wanting" though as the FZ1 was cut down there as well.

The sub-throttle plates, stacks and a full exhaust will make a lot of it up though and a proper pro-tuner can make her run in the ranges you're looking for.

Then again, if you keep her up in the 7k range? There's no worries about what she can or cannot do. :D

I never went to a pc tuner, other than to check horsepower, which it came out at 140 plus.

Anyway, with all mods, Ivan's E map, this bike not only rockets, but is smooth to the extreme. I am so used to 10/11k rpm's that when I'm down to 5/6k I think it's idling.

My point is that you may not need to spend the bucks on a pc tuner.

Back