Forced Streetfighter Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premiers070911

Hey guys, uninsured 2005 FZ1 rider here. So as I was filtering down an empty roadside bicycle lane, a taxi decided to turn onto the same road and stuck his front bumper one metre over the solid line.

Speed was about 20kmh, and in a split second, i just clipped his bumper, and then veered up onto the kerb straight towards a tree. I managed to steer away but still skimmed the tree. I had lost control and was heading for a car so i somehow did a jump and commando roll onto the road as the bike dropped.

Im ok, had all my gear on, stiff ribs but no damage and a scraped knee.

So Im not sure who is at fault, but im not insured anyway and the bike isnt too bad. I was 2km from home after a 2 day 800km journey.

So here I am. A streetfighter noob. I havent done a full damage check yet but from first glance:

Fairing cracked and scraped. Gone. Will put a headlight and possibly new dash.
Mirrors. Gone.
Front indicators. Gone.
OES crash knob. Bent. Hope the frame is ok.
Handlebars. Felt bent when i was riding home.
Forks. Not sure but i have a resprung R6 pair sitting ready anyway.

So now begins my research. Will post pics here as i progress. The worst bit is i do not have any other transport so i will be ordering parts online and walking everywhere in the mean time.

I do not know the specifics of lane sharing in Australia, but in California it is not legal to filter down a bike lane, those are only for bicycles, you can however ride on the side of the road if you are within 200 feet of the intersection and planning to turn right.

It's not legal to filter down a bicycle lane here too in Australia. I doubt you have a legal leg to stand on. If you were on a bicycle then it would most definitely be the taxis fault.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I dont care if its illegal. He crossed the line by a metre. Thats illegal too.

It only became illegal because they put paint there so now you cant overtake on the safer side.

I dont care if its illegal. He crossed the line by a metre. Thats illegal too. It only became illegal because they put paint there so now you cant overtake on the safer side.
In the end, it doesn't matter who is at fault when you're maimed or dead. But if it came to a legal matter, you'd probably lose because you were riding in that bike lane intentionally; whereas, he could argue that he accidentally drifted into the bike lane. This reminds me of when I got into a second accident months following a far more severe first one when a car driver made an unsafe left turn and smashed into me while on my motorcycle. He was clearly at fault, but I spent ten days in the hospital, literally flat-lined (died) on the ER table, then almost died from internal bleeding four days later, and finally was stuck with the $400,000 medical bill because his insurance was inadequate. Whose fault it was meant nothing at that point. I almost died and he couldn't pay to get me fixed. The second accident happened a week after I was on a motorcycle again. I was turning right into my apartment complex's driveway when I was t-boned by a bicyclist racing down (we're on a hill) the sidewalk at about 30mph. I didn't see him behind the parked cars, but he blamed me for not yielding. He refused to accept the fact that it is illegal for bicyclists to ever ride their bikes on a sidewalk. Even a week later, he said "my friends said I had the right-of-way." Some people just never get it. Just like when you rear end someone here, it is ALWAYS your fault, no matter the reason for the person slowing or stopping in front of you. You should always follow at a safe distance and, similarly, you should never ride a motorcycle in a lane reserved for bicyclists.

Lol.

everyone does it here. Im not going to stop.

I dont need condescending traffic advice.

Just link me to some cool online parts stores or gtfo.

Im glad i live in a country where what happened to you with your medical bills would never happen to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back