Freshly painted lines = PHEW!!!!

So yesterday I'm heading back home from the barber shop, I'm about 1/2 mile from home and itS time to make a right turn by our golf course. I felt a little heavy wristed since I hadn't riden in 4 days :( so I go for a more aggressive than normal turn; let me pause for a minute and let you know there have been construction in the area to improve the roads, and while its done, they've had the outline for turn arrow painted on the ground for about a week now.

Well yesterday they decided to complete the paint job and I didn't pay attention and turned on the recently painted (maybe 1Hr)turn arrow, well lets just say as I'm into my turn, my front wheel slips and I find myself shatting my pants and instintively putting my right foot down. That was enough for a save even though I did hit my right knee somewhere on the engine. The bike stayed up and kept rolling, knees are fine today. So lesseon for today and in the future WATCH OUT FOR FRESHLY PAINTED LINES & TURNING ARROWS ON THE ROAD PHEW!!

This is why my wife had her off... it wasn't fresh paint but it was moments are rain only she didn't save it. :( Glad you did though! Those and tar snakes are my enemies. And in New England, we have a LOT of tar snakes... :eek5:

Good save, been there done that.

Fresh or not, those painted arrows at interscetions are trouble. Out west we do not usually get any summer rain. The drips of oil and crud from cages builds up around intersections and those arrows are very slick. I try to stay where the car tires roll to avoid these slippery traps.

I had a similar paint experience years ago on a Nighthawk. Taking a left over a freshly painted arrow at a familiar intersection had the tires lose grip and started into a very slow speed low side. Got the bike back to upright but it continued over to dangerously leaned on the other side. Got it back upright but it came too far over again. Decided it was a good time to get off the bike before I ended up giving it something soft to skid across the tarmac on.

Ouch . .

I too, have been there and done that ! Saved a couple. Lost one. Painful reminder, , ,watch the shaded areas in those twisty sections. :doh2:

I cant tell you how many gravel saves I've had this year. Thank goodness for the dirt bike expierence. With the amount of rain we had this year few of our back roads have been clean.

I had the exact same thing happen one morning. I started my bike and hadn't even ridden a mile. I was waiting at the light to make a left. Light turns green and I barely touch the painted line and felt the bike slide out. I was on my DRZ400sm and I put my foot down and saved it. When my foot hit the ground it kicked back and smacked into my footpeg. It hurt pretty bad even though I was wearing Sidi boots...

Lesson learned. Now I tread lightly over painted lines and reduce lean angle and throttle inputs when crossing them. Thanks for the reminder...

If the arrow is big the tendency now is to bond some sort of white material on the pavement rather than paint, and this plastic type material can get slippery as well.

I've had slick issues with the thick crosswalk paint stripes. If they are even humid, they instantly turn to oiled glass death patches.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

:chat: yep , white lines and Rail/Tram lines too are deadly in the wet .

Also try not to kick those red/orange cones or witch's hats , sometimes they are full of concrete :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Not to hijack your story about paint/arrows on the road, but a related thing happened to me recently. A few days ago I took a right turn at a light on the FZ. My front tire hit a patch of dirt that I hit too fast. It slipped the front wheel, but I adjusted just enough to gain control. Yep, early & often dirt bike riding experience is what I'm thankful for on that one. But it also made me think twice about slowing down. I saw the patch of dirt in advance & thought I was still ok. But I was still too fast. Lucky & another lesson learned!

Last edited:
I've had slick issues with the thick crosswalk paint stripes. If they are even humid, they instantly turn to oiled glass death patches.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

As I went back the same day to look at what could have been a really bad day, I realized it wasn't the turning arrow that got me, but the cross-walk lines indeed. Clearly this wasn't just paint as it was slightly raised. Whatever is it they used, then painted it white.

All said and done, construction or not I have a lot more respect for crosswalk line and painted arrows lol.

As I went back the same day to look at what could have been a really bad day, I realized it wasn't the turning arrow that got me, but the cross-walk lines indeed. Clearly this wasn't just paint as it was slightly raised. Whatever is it they used, then painted it white.

All said and done, construction or not I have a lot more respect for crosswalk line and painted arrows lol.

Bow to the Cones too :unworthy:

I reckon when you see a line of them , it'd be the first and last in most cases as they would be the main ones that get blown over by big rigs and the like imo .

So the moral of the story would be -

Pick the ones in the center :eek5: , not that i condone that type of stuff :bs:

Back