Fuel Cut Eliminator

I don't see a need for it on the '09 and can barely notice any cut when riding. Of course, if I am in the twisties, I have the bike running a consistent 7k RPMs or higher. Doesn't the FC cut at the lower RPMs anyway?

It's a lot of cash for no gain but I can see why someone on the '06 might want it. If you're not running the bike hard, you'll never really notice in the first place.

Block-off plates necessary?

I have an '08 and, what I suspect is, fuel cut-off at low rpms IS noticeable to me and concerning. Is it true that after install of Ivans FCE the engine will pop on decel? If so, is the remedy Ivans block - off plates?
If I can improve the throttle response for $ 200 I will definitely do it. :cool:

The FCE is to remedy an issue where you are on the throttle, approach a corner, let OFF the throttle, then, when you roll back on the throttle (typically hard), it hesitates for that split second, then catches and goes. It's when you're mind thinks you should go and before you can say "Hey! It's NOT!" then it catches and launches.

It you are talking about cruising along and the bike gurgling and popping on decel, the FCE does nothing for this. You are looking for the AIS hose block-off (FREE), or the complete AIS removal with everything blocked off, meaning you need to buy something, but they both accomplish the same goal. If you have a slip-on of full custom exhaust, blocking the AIS at the airbox will solve almost all of the popping and gurgling.

With the '08, the Ivan FCE is a waste of money. Yamaha all but eliminated this issue and any residual effect you suspect is minimal at best.

The other issue is something we are still tracking as no one knows what the cause or fix is yet. It's a surge/cut, however slight but repeatedly, when touring at 3000-4000 RPMs. Many of us are suspect of an electrical issue be it a connection or TPS or something else.

Hope this helps you out! :D

Last edited:
The FCE is to remedy an issue where you are on the throttle, approach a corner, let OFF the throttle, then, when you roll back on the throttle (typically hard), it hesitates for that split second, then catches and goes. It's when you'r mind thinks you should go and before you can say \"Hey! It's NOT!\" then it catches and launches........

Hope this helps you out! :D

Yea..I don't have that, or haven't noticed it. My engine seems to bog down at about 3K rpm-4.2K rpm. The experience is as if the engine isn't eager to accept fuel in that range. Do you suppose Dyno-Jet's PC and an MIVV Suono slip-on will free the engine up?

I think it depends on how you ride, how sensitive you are, and what you want/expect in terms of throttle response.

My `07 was transformed by Ivan's FCE (and other mods) but...I ONLY ride twisties where any throttle-snatch becomes readily apparent in mid-turn. When leaned-over near the dynamic limits of the bike, even slight throttle snatch or abruptness could upset the chassis and the bike's line resulting in bad juju. If you don't frequently ride near the edge of the cornering envelope, it might not be very noticeable. Now, my throttle response is smooooooth as butter and never causes me concern. It just flat works for my purposes whereas, before the FCE, my mid-corner throttle response was waaaay too sudden (and spooky) which inhibited my riding style. The FCE liberated me. YMMV

ok... since I don't own a Gen 2.... this is speculation... but... if the big things the FCE fixes are opening the flies faster, and eliminating fuel cut... couldn't the problems be fixed with a PCIII and smaller / removed flies?

ok... since I don't own a Gen 2.... this is speculation... but... if the big things the FCE fixes are opening the flies faster, and eliminating fuel cut... couldn't the problems be fixed with a PCIII and smaller / removed flies?

I think once you install the smaller flies or remove them the advantage of the FCE in that respect is reduced. However, even with the PC III or V there is no way to override the fuel cut of the stock ECU.

Even if it is installed correctly, it \"can\" set a code if it's very cold out or you shut the bike off with the sidestand and so on. But yes, with the improvements in the 07+, it's fine without it to me.

Do you know what the code is and how to remedy it if this does happen? Would it be by disconnecting the battery? I bought an 06 a couple of months ago and am thinking of having Ivan's FCE put on. FZ1NH described exactly what the off to on throttle sensation is like.

Do you know what the code is and how to remedy it if this does happen? Would it be by disconnecting the battery? I bought an 06 a couple of months ago and am thinking of having Ivan's FCE put on. FZ1NH described exactly what the off to on throttle sensation is like.

I've had the code for the side stand come on. Basically happens if you shut off the bike by using the side stand with the bike in gear. To clear it up I just shut off the ignition put in in neutral and turn the ignition back on...code gone. Now that I'm aware of what causes it I try not to shut off the bike that way and haven't had any other "issues" with the FCE.

I have a 2009 and put an FCE on it. Didn't notice much difference just cruising around. However, the rear shock suddenly seemed less crappy in corners than it was before. These things might be connected.

Throttle Response Issues

On my 07 I do not notice the problem if I am riding aggressively, I notice it if I am in town using 3K to 3.5K as my shift points, 4K or above is just fine. Also cornering with a decent lean angle and rpm in the same 3.5K range, any throttle change can result in a completely on/off response which upsets the handling. Its best to be sure to keep positive throttle input. It seems more noticeable on the FZ1 than other EFI sport bikes, I also have a 08 GSX-R 750 and it is not as sensitive. These are the days of EFI, in the old carb (sorry Gen I guys) days at low rpm there is basically no throttle response so it wasn't as much of an issue.

Here's a sure-fire way to feel the effect of fuel-cut; find a good highway out of town where you can do 80-90mph with no worries. In 3rd gear or so, wind her up to around 10,000 rpm, and hold it steady for a few seconds at 10k rpm. (i.e. cruise a little bit at 10k rpm in 3rd.)

Roll completely off the throttle, and let engine braking take it down to 8k RPM or so. Do not hit the brakes or anything, just roll off to zero throttle for a few seconds, then roll back on the throttle gently. Trust me, you will feel a major delay and lurch as the power comes back. If not you have no feeling of how an engine should run, lol.

Doesn't matter how gently you try to roll back on there is a definite delay for the engine to come back online as the intact tract gets wet with fuel again. This is very obvious even on my '08. Now imagine that deep laid over in a corner, and you'll see what many folks are talking about.

Here's a sure-fire way to feel the effect of fuel-cut; find a good highway out of town where you can do 80-90mph with no worries. In 3rd gear or so, wind her up to around 10,000 rpm, and hold it steady for a few seconds at 10k rpm. (i.e. cruise a little bit at 10k rpm in 3rd.)

Roll completely off the throttle, and let engine braking take it down to 8k RPM or so. Do not hit the brakes or anything, just roll off to zero throttle for a few seconds, then roll back on the throttle gently. Trust me, you will feel a major delay and lurch as the power comes back. If not you have no feeling of how an engine should run, lol.

Doesn't matter how gently you try to roll back on there is a definite delay for the engine to come back online as the intact tract gets wet with fuel again. This is very obvious even on my '08. Now imagine that deep laid over in a corner, and you'll see what many folks are talking about.

I was just going to post this EXACTLY, and you've said it perfectly. I have a new 08, and found the same thing. Within a week of finding that, I had the FCE on the bike and problem solved. Would the bike be a total loss without it? No. Is it better not having the issue at all with fuel cut? Well, DUH! Yeah!
Definitely worth the money, plus I got the PC map for the mods done...
Just makes a great bike even better.:tup:

Last edited:
Boomer and Troy,
Thanks for the clarification. I forgot to say that I'm an old fart on his first bike that's not a twin. I'm not used to revving as high as 10k. Besides, at those revs, I'm at go-to-jail speeds with stock gearing. The effect of FCE was less than expected, but I know there's part of this bike that I'm not using.

Well you can do the same experiment at 5-6k, but the affect is more pronounced at higher rpm, which is why I said 10k. :)

You are correct again, good sir...or Ms.
I think the fuel cut begins at 4500 rpm on all these bikes. It's one of those things if you find the problem, you won't want it. If you never find it, then ride on and enjoy. If you have flies in, smaller or stock, the FCE has the benefit of opening them faster with a demonstrated big bump in mid-range power.
:woot:

well i fitted the fce last week to my 06 fz1 and yes there is a big difference in the bike its much smoother and not so twitchy in corners i would suggest one of these fce's it also revs out better and smoother next is some pilot powers next week .

i've got to say, i'm a firm believer in the fce also! i have an '07. it really all depends on what youre trying to do with this bike and what power characteristics you are looking for. I most definitely felt a difference before and after! much smoother take up at light throttle openings, and a big boost in midrange power! it doesn't only fix a problem, there are definite performance advantages. Jondaddy is right as far as there not being a difference in overall peak power. I wanted some improved power in the lower rpm range and it definitely seemed to help. i have gotten an error code when it is really cold (for north florida!) if you let the bike warm up, shut it down and restart it, it goes away. i usually just ride with it on until i get to my destination. bike seems to run just fine...

Back