FZ1 in NH down but coming back!

That IS nice! But that would be one heck of a ride back. ;) Thanks Lee.

I am weighing a bunch of options... I have a solid line on a new 2013 Cobalt Blue holdover... less than $8k OTD at the moment. I wonder what I could get for a 2009, slightly rashed, stock FZ1 that has a clean title.... ? Hmm.....

Sell it and pick up the 13'!!! It's settled!

Sell it and pick up the 13'!!! It's settled!

Done! Thanks for the advice Billy!

Well half done. I put a deposit on a 2013 Cobalt Blue holdover. $7,990.00 OTD price with 1 mile on the ODO. I'm going to try and pick it up next weekend, if not, the weekend after. It's about a 3 hr drive to get it.

I'll strip all my mods off the '09, move them to the new bike, any new parts from that bike will move to Michele's bike, and all OEM parts will put the '09 back to stock. There's a clean title (no salvage) on the '09 and I'll sell it with full disclosure and put pics of the damage in the ad. It will still be a nice bike for someone wanting one and not caring about some small rashes and a small dent in the tank.

Glad to finally be moving forward!

Last edited:
Awesome news! Let me know when your coming down. Will it be a weekend or weekday?

It's not the one on Long Island... sorry! This one is up near Burlington, VT. NY wanted $7,995 plus $788 for fees and such and wouldn't deal. The guy in VT said "No fees, no taxes, no hidden costs. $7,990.00 is out the door." So I put a hefty down-payment on it and they are holding it for up to two weeks for me. I'm going to try and get there next Saturday... likely head up Friday night with my truck, stay overnight and load it first thing Sat. morning when they open. Can't wait!!

Thanks guys! I think this is the best route to go... Not keen on replacing a frame myself although I can do it. Not keen on waiting for a shop to get it done then wonder if they missed anything either. I had my eye on this 2013 for a week and am thankful that it didn't sell to someone else while I got everything sorted out.

It will be great to have a brand new one with all the performance mods already on-hand to simply install and begin riding. In the meantime, I'm going to untweak the forks on the '09 now that I am allowed to wrench it and ride it until I pick up the new one. I'll start removing some of the mods to be closer to ready.

I did ride today... Michele let me take her Purple Harley Eater to work. Glad she did because THAT bike needs some help. Seems to not be running smooth. She doesn't really notice but me who has not ridden hers for over a year noticed!

Yeah, I'm excited!

I have my '09 stock tank back if anyone wants it - i.e. if the buyer of the old bike is on this site (or you direct them here). No dents, CHEAP. :)

Looks like I need to paint my Copperdog Strike seat cowl... The Cobalt Blue will not look right on the black tail, right? Anyone with a 2013/14 here with the backed out tail? Is that a matte black? I've not seen it in person yet.

5293a934ad3a22ec6c000131.jpg

It's not the one on Long Island... sorry! This one is up near Burlington, VT. NY wanted $7,995 plus $788 for fees and such and wouldn't deal. The guy in VT said "No fees, no taxes, no hidden costs. $7,990.00 is out the door." So I put a hefty down-payment on it and they are holding it for up to two weeks for me. I'm going to try and get there next Saturday... likely head up Friday night with my truck, stay overnight and load it first thing Sat. morning when they open. Can't wait!!

I was wondering how you were gonna get to Long Island in just three hours! I thought you knew of an awesome shortcut! LOL!

Looks like I need to paint my Copperdog Strike seat cowl... The Cobalt Blue will not look right on the black tail, right? Anyone with a 2013/14 here with the backed out tail? Is that a matte black? I've not seen it in person yet.

5293a934ad3a22ec6c000131.jpg

Great stuff Eric, glad to see things are progressing for you and the way you want it to.

That bike looks awesome, you might be surprised, the cobalt blue seat cowl might look ok as it's following the blue on top, black on the bottom, theme.

GREAT DEAL ERIC!!!
I think you made a good choice and you will be riding soon. Win/ win wow 8,000 OTD. Ahhh nothing like the smell of fresh paint toasting off a hot motor. The only bad thing is you got the SLOWEST color haha good luck bro

Not to be Debbie Down, but is the price in writing? I hate to see you drive all that way and they begin playing games with you.

Yes it is Pete. I know it's rather low but there are several in Cycletrader.com for the same price. VT just happens to not charge taxes and fees. The others do. :) If I wasn't able to keep all my mods? It would have been enough payout for the Tuono and I was ready to pull the trigger on it. Found a new 2013 just like yours for $11,999.

DONE de-modding the '09!!!

1. Traded the CD speed screen for the OEM screen.
  2. Removed the Euro Sport Scoops and put on the OEM radiator caps
  3. Removed the swingarm spools
  4. Removed the chin fairing and brackets. Will repair the scuffing and get creative before install.
  5. Removed the adjustable levers and put the OEM back on
  6. Smoothed the bar end chaffing with a file and painted then installed.
  7. Removed Evotech Exhaust hanger and put back OEM Pillion brackets and pegs.
  8. Removed Evotech FE Kit and return rear fender and signals to stock.
  9. Removed GPR Steering Stabilizer
  10. Removed SpeedoDRD
  11. Removed PIAA dual horns and put OEM horn back on.
  12. Removed damaged frame sliders and put back OEM engine bolts.
  13. Removed the Racetech springs and put in OEM and new spacers.
  14. Swapped on the Shinko tires from Michele's bike.

2009 is totally de-modded! I only have the following to do.

• Bleed front and rear brakes now that the OEM lines are back on.
  • Set the OEM suspension for stock settings
  • Order the rear brake pedal, right inner fairing panel and fuel cowl. Install.
  • Wash, shine, polish and sell it.

I've done the following on the 2013, removed the ECU and replacing with the Ivanized ECU, moved over the Power Commander V, O2 Delete, Arrow Headers, modded airbox, Graves Velocity Stacks, K&N air filter, AIS block-off plates, Battery Tender lead, RAD Armor radiator guard, Two Bros can (I'm going to use this scuffed one until the packing wears out then buy a new one), swapped on the PR4 tires and the Penske 8983.

Still left for the 2013:
  1. SS brake lines, bleed and set
  2. Racetech springs and cut spacers (Winter project)
  3. CD screen - Nearly ready for install
  4. Power outlet - Wiring and drill a hole in the inner fairing panel
  5. Oxford heated grips - Wire to a key'd power source.
  6. Euro Scoops - Scotchbrite and re-spray matte black.
  7. Chin fairing - Needs work first

The only mods staying with the 2009 bike are the Power outlet and heated grips. I cannot remove the heated grips and reuse them without mucking up the elements and adhesive and they aren't that expensive to replace. And since the inner fairing has the holes for both the grip switch and power outlet, I may as well leave that all installed.

The new 2013 will roll with many of these mods on before the first few miles are over. I'll set aside the OEM seats and put on the TS seat. I still need to get pics of the black tail with the Cobalt strike seat cowl then decide if I want it blue or painted to match the black or some cool combo where some of it remains blue. I can at least test all black using Plastidip! (Thanks loosenut!!).

The 2009 will be very close to stock. The only visible damage will be a small scuff on the front fairing, lightly scuffed mirror and front signal plastics, small dent in the tank, small ding on the frame, and the small rash on the rear grab handle. Otherwise, it will look and ride fine. I un-tweaked the front easily, checked the tubes and the forks are not bent at all, nor is the handlebar. I loosened the top triple clamping bolts and held the front wheel with my knees, then grabbed the bars and move them into alignment without issue. Bounced it with the brake held to be 100% sure and tightened. She rides straight with no hands so all is good there. Wash, polish and put up for sale with full disclosure. Because it wasn't totaled and I had the option of frame replacement or an "Appearance allowance" the title is not a salvage... clear and OK to title/register again. There will be a for sale thread here, again, full disclosure.

That kid's Dad must be pretty upset with him. I've gone back and verified that yes, it is clearly marked ONE-WAY where he turned down the street. Like I said, I'll avoid that route at all costs but if I'm there again, outside lane ONLY. I can't afford to lose another pair of silk boxers. :rofl:

Last edited:
Just a tip. Black "bedliner" is very close in color and texture to the frame paint. You could touch up the scuff with it. I use it on my crash bars and racks to touch up little scrapes when I inevitably fall over pushing the limit of the big bike off road.

Back