FZ1 is dead, and Kawasaki did it

I'm happy to see that at least someone is acknowledging the need for a litre-class sport touring machine. The addition of the full fairing and the adjustable windscreen combined with the available factory hardbags (even though they are just rebadged Givi's) points this bike square in the direction it needed to go. One of the key reasons I bought the FZ1 over an FJR or Concours14 was the smaller size for commuting. I would love to see Yamaha follow suit with an FZ variant in the near future.

I think you are right on,, something like the FZ1 TE- "Touring Edition" offered in Canada and Europe.. add heated grips, seat, alternator to handle some lights and farkles, power oulets, gps, abs, ...

Having seen and riden the Z1000 naked don't get to excited. At the dealership my modded FZ1 got more attention!!!. The motor felt good but nothing like 153hp FZ1, suspension was way to soft in the front and the rear to stiff (typical Kwaka). Rear looks nice but thats about it, heavy, wide and plastic sh*t slapped on here and there (over-styled). The only thing i liked were the wheels, swingarm and radial-brakes but lacked bite?. It's a step-up from the previous model but more a "pussy-cat" than "Tiger". Kawasaki always promise big things and the journalists write the bike up to be more than it is. A 4yr old Triple Speed would make the new Z look silly. I left the dealership pleased as punch with the FZ1, why anyone would trade on the Z is beyond me?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having seen and riden the Z1000 naked don't get to excited. At the dealership my modded FZ1 got more attention!!!. The motor felt good but nothing like 153hp FZ1, suspension was way to soft in the front and the rear to stiff (typical Kwaka). Rear looks nice but thats about it, heavy, wide and plastic sh*t slapped on here and there (over-styled). The only thing i liked were the wheels, swingarm and radial-brakes but lacked bite?. It's a step-up from the previous model but more a "pussy-cat" than "Tiger". Kawasaki always promise big things and the journalists write the bike up to be more than it is. A 4yr old Triple Speed would make the new Z look silly. I left the dealership pleased as punch with the FZ1, why anyone would trade on the Z is beyond me?.

I like the looks of the Z1000SX, the specs, and I look forward to the test drive. I hope I'll leave the dealership liking my FZ1 more

Yeah the current FZ1 is getting a little long of tooth, by the Kawi is really fugly, really fugly. The new ZX10 is fugly too.

If I was looking for a new bike, and I'm not, I'd consider the to be released Aprilia Tuono RSV4. Aprilia RSV4 Tuono V4 preview

Or I'd look into converting an R1 into a sport touring bike (ConvertiBars, lowered footpegs, custom saddle).

Yamaha making a touring version of the FZ1 seems a little silly to me when they already make the FJR, and to make a touring FZ1 all you need is a taller wind screen and some Givis.

Ugly is right

Thanks, I'm glad someone else sees what I see... fugliness. All the plastic bits make it look cheap and somehow out of wack. Considering promo pictures are always much better looking than the real thing I don't see any reason to bother going to the dealer to look at it. If I buy a Japanese bike other than Yamaha, I'll be heading to the Honda dealer (nothing against Suzuki, just my preference in the easy handling, reliability and styling). Kawi, riiiggghhht...

I have a Kawi, as a second bike, and I kinda like it's ugliness, it acts as a theft prevention device. :poke: I won't hesitate to replace it with a Yamaha though just as soon as Yamaha brings me one, Comon' Super Tenere'. It's Kinda Ugly for a Yamaha but I like it. Different strokes.........

Last edited:
Cool

Super Tenere looks awesome. I have an old XT600 so I already have a soft spot for the bike. Do you know if they're bringing the 660 to the states or just the 1200? That 660 with the white/red abarth looking graphics is swwweeeet!

Tommy

Last edited by a moderator:
How about this? A touring edition FZ1 with the new cross plane engine, more low end power and factory panniers? That sounds good to me. I'll be keeping my '07 with Givi's and mods until that one comes out

How about this? A touring edition FZ1 with the new cross plane engine, more low end power and factory panniers? That sounds good to me. I'll be keeping my '07 with Givi's and mods until that one comes out

Factory panniers? please lord NOOOO!!!.

My experience with Kawa has been great. That said, I'm looking forward to this new machine-a test ride anyway, but not thinking about buying. My next ride will likely be a smaller displacement bike. Right now I'm hot for the Triumph Street Triple R. It uses the Triumph Daytona 675 engine, plunks it in a Standard set-up, and upgrades brakes and suspension from Street Triple.

When I was bike shopping I looked at the Speed Triple, Street Triple, and the Daytona for a long time. I ended up with a FZ1, obviously, but it was a close call. I really like the Triumphs but for a liter+ bike it cost too much for me right now.

PS my sister has a Daytona and I hate her for it...
22157_232184434676_704429676_3459773_466517_n.jpg

Super Tenere looks awesome. I have an old XT600 so I already have a soft spot for the bike. Do you know if they're bringing the 660 to the states or just the 1200? That 660 with the white/red abarth looking graphics is swwweeeet!

Tommy

There is a push going on to bring the 660 Tenere stateside, but from all reports the 1200 handles as good or better and hides it's weight really well. I can believe this as I have ridden an FJR and it felt much lighter than what the spec sheet told me. Yamaha seems to build very well balanced bikes.

Here is one of the best spots on the web for info on it: XT1200Z: The new WaspWorks Super Tenere, in detail and the evolution - ADVrider

Factory panniers? please lord NOOOO!!!.

Why not??? Hey as long as they still make the naked and standard versions as well it may increase sales. And they do offer a Touring model in certain markets right now with the Gen II. Doesn't look too bad. Sort of an FJR Lite...lol!

Why not??? Hey as long as they still make the naked and standard versions as well it may increase sales. And they do offer a Touring model in certain markets right now with the Gen II. Doesn't look too bad. Sort of an FJR Lite...lol!

I saw a silver one at the Bikeshow 2 years ago and it was a nice compact touring bike, well put together. It would be a bit cramped for 2-up but for 1, just great. The Givi bags tuck in slightly better because of their shape though.

Last edited:
Oldschool, I felt exactly the same way about the FJR. What a great ride, but I've never really been interested in riding someting as big as a BMW R1200GS off-road, or even the large KTM 990.

Maybe I'm just too used to the old school 2-strokes that were like riding a bicycle with no engine braking, but I just got intimidated by the larger behemoths for off-roading on anything more than fire roads in the Ocala Forest in Florida. I felt ultimately like the CRF450 I used for Hare Scrambles as well as MX was a great balance. I even tried a DRZ400E with electric start to keep from having to kick since I'm old and brittle, but just didn't like managing the weight. See pics of me picking up the DRZ, and that's way lighter than a Tenere.

Did you find the larger bikes still worked off-road or on any type of single-track? I never even tried to take one out on that stuff.

Didn't want to hijack, but it seemed along the lines of where this threat was going.

Last edited:
Brian,
When I went on my trip this summer (off road) My KLR 650 loaded with gear and me on the bike weighed 300 KG (about 675 lbs.). I checked at a commercial truck scale. I had no problems riding it hard down narrow, loose gravel, and some easy single track. Since then I have taken it through much more difficult terrain and pushed it much harder. I have done lots of water crossings and even some mud. Not mud like you showed though. The better my off road skills get the less I notice the bike's weight, and the less I worry about getting something like the Tenere' or a GSA. Like any type of riding, it's more about the rider. I have ridden with guys that can scream down gravel on street tires, as fast as I go on knobbies, and on bigger bikes. The off road stuff is very addictive, and so much less crowded (or regulated), making it more and more appealing. I am still hurting from a bad crash awhile back, but I won't let it stop me, I have all winter to heal.

I'd have to stay clear of the cross plane till they get all the kinks with the cam chain tensioner ironed out. However Honda is looking to up the Anti as well 2011 CB1000R Overview - Honda Powersports

It will be way too many years before I can afford the Honda though (I bet)

I think after I put on another 40k - 50k miles on the Gen1 I might consider a replacement (probably a GenII). Till then I'll just keep on smiling.

Back