FZ1 is dead, and Kawasaki did it

It's official .. FZ1 is a dying dinosaur, and it's on the green predators menu.
Look here: Kawasaki Z1000SX

The Z1000SX will probably not pack 150 HP, but a better chassis, better gearbox, panniers, and it'll probably powerwheelie in 3:rd gear if just brutalized a bit. And it's going to be my next bike, unless Yamaha pull something out of their sleeve until I get the money.

I've long been thinking, and test driving, and thinking again, and I didn't really find any replacement for the FZ1. The KTM 990:s are fun, but when you had your fun, and just want to go from A to B they suck. And they suck over 150 km/h.

It's official .. FZ1 is a dying dinosaur, and it's on the green predators menu.
Look here: Kawasaki Z1000SX

The Z1000SX will probably not pack 150 HP, but a better chassis, better gearbox, panniers, and it'll probably powerwheelie in 3:rd gear if just brutalized a bit. And it's going to be my next bike, unless Yamaha pull something out of their sleeve until I get the money.

I've long been thinking, and test driving, and thinking again, and I didn't really find any replacement for the FZ1. The KTM 990:s are fun, but when you had your fun, and just want to go from A to B they suck. And they suck over 150 km/h.

I wouldn't be digging a hole and carving marble just yet. I will agree that Kawasaki is moving on with new models and the overall package is nicely done. My hope is that this spurs Yamaha into action, putting more pressure to bring on the next generation of FZ, if just for curiosity sake. But alas the Powers that be at Yamaha march to a different beat, so I doubt it.

As far as the KTM 990 "sucking" over 150 km/h who cares unless it's your track bike, and that is not what it was meant to be. I have not ridden one yet, but it will happen this spring. If I were buying a bike this spring it would be the Yamaha Super Te'nere' or the KTM 990. I find that the roads are more congested all the time and the speeding laws stricter (and my local track closing) making 150 hp a moot point. The 990, Super Te'nere', and others like it allow me to get out to my country's Final Frontier were the masses fear to tread. That appeals so much more than dodging mini vans and the radar toting judge and jury that the police have been empowered to be. 40 kph over and your bike is impounded for 7 days on the spot, plus a $400 minimum fine, in my favorite riding province of British Columbia. Pardon me if I don't share your lust for the latest greatest 150 HP+ machine. I would be happy if I could use the one that I have. More and more States and Provinces (in Canada) are adopting punitive laws that make owning and operating high powered performance machines a waste, and it is only a matter of time before they don't sell at all. Then we can sit back and rock on the porch and tell stories about how we used to ride machines that would suck the eyeballs back in our heads and leave us with wood for longer than any blue pill ever could. " What's a motorcycle grampa?":cry: Of course knowing me I will be able to go out to the garage and show him or her the FZ all shiny under it's cover. "I would start it but the tracking satelites would pick up the exhaust and grampa would go to jail."

Last edited:
I'm quite content with the current FZ1 model and like it just the way it is. I don't have any urge to move to any other bike. That being said, I wouldn't mind adding to the stable but replacing her just is not an option.

I'm quite content with the current FZ1 model and like it just the way it is. I don't have any urge to move to any other bike. That being said, I wouldn't mind adding to the stable but replacing her just is not an option.

I put it (the sentiment) down to the A.D.D. generation. Always wanting the next "greatest thing" and willing to throw away what they have, cheap, to get it......"oh look a puppie!" What were we discussing? :stirpot: :poke:

I am not really knocking the OP but I see lots of things that I would love to have (if money and storage space, and time to use them, were no issue). That said I love the machines that I have now. As much as I would love to have a new bike, I don't have the room to store another one , and don't want to part with the FZ as it is just the way I want it (tail section accepted) and paid for. How many times have people sold a bike that they had and years (sometimes hours) later regretted it.
I would sell the KLR 650 to get the Yamaha ST but it would only pay for 1/5 of the Yamaha's price tag. Back to payments in the spring then. :doh2:

I put it (the sentiment) down to the A.D.D. generation. Always wanting the next "greatest thing" and willing to throw away what they have, cheap, to get it......"oh look a puppie!" What were we discussing? :stirpot: :poke:

I am not really knocking the OP but I see lots of things that I would love to have (if money and storage space, and time to use them, were no issue). That said I love the machines that I have now. As much as I would love to have a new bike, I don't have the room to store another one , and don't want to part with the FZ as it is just the way I want it (tail section accepted) and paid for. How many times have people sold a bike that they had and years (sometimes hours) later regretted it.
I would sell the KLR 650 to get the Yamaha ST but it would only pay for 1/5 of the Yamaha's price tag. Back to payments in the spring then. :doh2:

You're absolutely right. I'm not really ADD generation, but I feel like sometimes I want the "next great thing". Even before I get tired of the old really good thing, I start looking. Anyway, I'll probably just buy new panniers for my FZ1 and I'll be happy for another year or two.

I wouldn't be digging a hole and carving marble just yet. I will agree that Kawasaki is moving on with new models and the overall package is nicely done. My hope is that this spurs Yamaha into action, putting more pressure to bring on the next generation of FZ, if just for curiosity sake. But alas the Powers that be at Yamaha march to a different beat, so I doubt it.

As far as the KTM 990 "sucking" over 150 km/h who cares unless it's your track bike, and that is not what it was meant to be. I have not ridden one yet, but it will happen this spring. If I were buying a bike this spring it would be the Yamaha Super Te'nere' or the KTM 990. I find that the roads are more congested all the time and the speeding laws stricter (and my local track closing) making 150 hp a moot point. The 990, Super Te'nere', and others like it allow me to get out to my country's Final Frontier were the masses fear to tread. That appeals so much more than dodging mini vans and the radar toting judge and jury that the police have been empowered to be. 40 kph over and your bike is impounded for 7 days on the spot, plus a $400 minimum fine, in my favorite riding province of British Columbia. Pardon me if I don't share your lust for the latest greatest 150 HP+ machine. I would be happy if I could use the one that I have. More and more States and Provinces (in Canada) are adopting punitive laws that make owning and operating high powered performance machines a waste, and it is only a matter of time before they don't sell at all. Then we can sit back and rock on the porch and tell stories about how we used to ride machines that would suck the eyeballs back in our heads and leave us with wood for longer than any blue pill ever could. " What's a motorcycle grampa?":cry: Of course knowing me I will be able to go out to the garage and show him or her the FZ all shiny under it's cover. "I would start it but the tracking satelites would pick up the exhaust and grampa would go to jail."

Haha, loved this post .. I haven't ridden the new Tenere, but they say the weight just dissapears when rolling. The 990 I tried was the SM-T (so called touring), and I had a hard time wiping the smile off my face. It had some minor defects, like one of the mirrors almost fell off during the test ride, the foot brake is pretty cheap, cerrated edge bent steel plate, the instruments are unreadable, no fuel gauge. These might be just minor things, since mirrors aren't even supposed to be there, because KTM's are really meant for race and pretending you're in a race. The instruments are unnecessary because you're supposed to look straight forward, and accelerate until there's no more torque, hit the gear pedal and accelerate again. The cerrated edge on the foot brake is so your boot doesn't slide, and if you ride a KTM like it's supposed to be ridden, you'll know when to stop for fuel, when your arms and ass are sore.

So the SMT was great fun, and it'll probably be great for you too since the things look like they do over there. Me, I'm still discovering motorcycling, and what I really want from my bike. I know I like the top-end rush very much, but I also like the KTM supermotards, light, strong, and wheelie prone.
I probably should own two bikes, but that's not a option yet.

I'm really curious if Yamaha has anything up their sleeve.

My experience with Kawa has been great. That said, I'm looking forward to this new machine-a test ride anyway, but not thinking about buying. My next ride will likely be a smaller displacement bike. Right now I'm hot for the Triumph Street Triple R. It uses the Triumph Daytona 675 engine, plunks it in a Standard set-up, and upgrades brakes and suspension from Street Triple.

Last edited:
Funny, my FZ1 feels alive and healthy! If I were looking to get rid of my FZ, there are many bikes higher on my list than the Z1000... to each their own :D

My experience with Kawa has been great. That said, I'm looking forward to this new machine-a text ride, but not thinking about buying. My next ride will likely be a smaller displacement bike. Right now I hot for the Triumph Street Triple R. It uses the Triumph Daytona 675 engine and plunks it in a Standard.

the 675:s are interesting bikes. The Street Triple is pretty fun, nimble, agile, strong, but felt a bit too light for longer motorway rides. If you get one, be sure to modify the airbox and airfilter so you get the Daytona intake growl

After years of the Z1000 suffering with either a love/hate reputation (primarily hate), it looks like they've woken up. It actually looks like the designers have been reading all the FZ1 forums. All the small things that people lament about the FZ1 are answered in this new Z1000. Larger gas tank, better suspension, adjustable windscreen, and good looks to boot.

Will be interesting to see how much of the sport touring market they'll get with this beast.

After years of the Z1000 suffering with either a love/hate reputation (primarily hate), it looks like they've woken up. It actually looks like the designers have been reading all the FZ1 forums. All the small things that people lament about the FZ1 are answered in this new Z1000. Larger gas tank, better suspension, adjustable windscreen, and good looks to boot.

Will be interesting to see how much of the sport touring market they'll get with this beast.

The gas tank is only 1/4 gallon larger than the 2nd gen FZ1... which is a whopping 7-10 miles further assuming equal gas mileage. Suspension and windscreen are easy upgrades for the FZ1... and good looks are subjective, I think the FZ1 looks better. Although I do think the ZX series of Kawi supersports are good looking... having seen the quality issues that fellow riders have with the Kawasucki, I have to agree with Missy that I don't see myself buying one.

I'm happy to see that at least someone is acknowledging the need for a litre-class sport touring machine. The addition of the full fairing and the adjustable windscreen combined with the available factory hardbags (even though they are just rebadged Givi's) points this bike square in the direction it needed to go. One of the key reasons I bought the FZ1 over an FJR or Concours14 was the smaller size for commuting. I would love to see Yamaha follow suit with an FZ variant in the near future.

Back