Fz1 rear shock wanted

Hey guys,

Anyone here looking to offload an fz1 rear shock? I'm looking to upgrade the rear shock in my 2011 fz8.

I'm in Australia if that makes any difference.

Cheers!

Brenden

You should be able to find one as several member on here have upgraded their shocks. Funny thing is we FZ1 guys think the factory shock is crap and the FZ8 guys want it...go figure ;)

Makes me wonder how crappy the stock FZ8 shock is!

I've upgraded to the Penkse but I do not sell any of the stock items... if I ever sold the bike, I'd return it to stock first and sell all the mods separately. Selling a bike all modded doesn't fetch the additional value of the mods... never does. However, a lot of riders do sell off the parts so I'm sure one will surface!

Hey guys,

Anyone here looking to offload an fz1 rear shock? I'm looking to upgrade the rear shock in my 2011 fz8.

I'm in Australia if that makes any difference.

Cheers!

Brenden

lolup LOL! You beat me to it Bren!

You should be able to find one as several member on here have upgraded their shocks. Funny thing is we FZ1 guys think the factory shock is crap and the FZ8 guys want it...go figure ;)

Makes me wonder how crappy the stock FZ8 shock is!

Yeah, it isn't the greatest and the FZ1 shock apparently makes a huge difference over the standard FZ8 one, for little money...plug and play.

Last edited:
How much is the R1 shock conversion compared to the FZ1? I can't see it costing much more.

I did a GSX-R 1000 rear shock on my SV650 and that thing cost me $30. Huge improvement. I don't think the FZ1 shock is really all that much better aside from the adjust-ability, is it?

Thanks for all the guidance so far, I appreciate it.

Linky from FZ8 site. This will give you a photo/physical comparison between the two shocks. You can see the distinct difference between the two:
FZ1 shock in FZ8 - Yamaha FZ8 Forums - International FZ8 Motorcycle Community Forum

From what I have read re the R1 shock install and with Satan666's adapter, on the FZ8 you have to do a little bit of cutting and add a hole on the regulator bracket (I don't know if this the same on the FZ1?), which I am reluctant to do. I would prefer a "plug a play" option. I like to keep any mod's I do as simple as possible, as it also comes back to a lack of ability & knowledge, at times :ugh:

Dr_Doom's R1 Shock mod to his FZ8:
R1 shock with Satan666's adapter - Yamaha FZ8 Forums - International FZ8 Motorcycle Community Forum

So, from what I can tell, I am left with is the FZ1 option or the more expensive Ohlins, etc route. Also, I am looking for an improvement on the current state and not to make it a track-day bike, I thought this step might be a logical one?

I happy to be told I am wrong!

Thx, Pete.

Hey,

I am in the process of upgrading my suspension on my FZ1, forks will be done next week, once I have that done & sold off the spares I have from that I'll be doing the rear shock. If you can wait I should have an FZ1 rear shock up for grabs early next year.

If you're interested I'll be selling the forks and front brakes too.

Cheers
Jason

From what I have read re the R1 shock install and with Satan666's adapter, on the FZ8 you have to do a little bit of cutting and add a hole on the regulator bracket (I don't know if this the same on the FZ1?), which I am reluctant to do. I would prefer a "plug a play" option. I like to keep any mod's I do as simple as possible, as it also comes back to a lack of ability & knowledge, at times :ugh:

I hear you there, I'm not one for hacking away at my bikes or having to modify things either. If the R1 shock really is a bit of trouble to get in correctly, I can see why you would prefer the FZ1 shock. If you want an inexpensive drop-in improvement over stock, why not give it a try, right? Just don't spend too much on it :deal:

I was lucky with my SV650 in that the GSX-R 1000 shock goes on without any trouble. They're cheap, too. My 919? I had to buy a used CBR600 F3 shock & have it valved & sprung to work on the 919. It basically bolts in save for a little bit of plastic trimming. It was a lot cheaper than the Ohlins or Penske alternative and I think it's quite nice as is. :)

You might check with Satan666 about the adapter as he has a old version and a new version. It will be worth it. The FZ1 shock is crap.

Last edited:
Hey,

I am in the process of upgrading my suspension on my FZ1, forks will be done next week, once I have that done & sold off the spares I have from that I'll be doing the rear shock. If you can wait I should have an FZ1 rear shock up for grabs early next year.

If you're interested I'll be selling the forks and front brakes too.

Cheers
Jason
Hey mate, I'm super keen on the shock when available. Let us know when its available and we can work it all out.

Where in Australia r u?

No worries,

I'll keep you posted.

Just got word my Ohlins FGRT 206 are at the shop ready to go. I'm a little excited. My old forks & brakes will be up for grabs after Xmas.

I'm in RADelaide..

Cheers
Jason

I know a lot of people say the stock FZ1 shock is crap but I noticed nobody takes the time to explain why it's no good. I'm all for upgrading suspension but I always thought it might be prudent to explain it to the inquiring minds.

I've noticed that every bike seems to get the same sort of response. The GSX-R 1000 guys say the stock shock is crap and the SV650 guys put it on their bikes for an upgrade. The SV guys say their shock is crap and sell them to the GS500 guys for an upgrade.

Confusing :dontknow::dontknow:

Hi Brenden (and sinclap2),

The best thing I've done to my FZ1 was replace the rear shock.

attachment.php

Like Cobalt I have been saving all my stock parts so that I can return the bike to stock if required. The thing is that I'll never put the stock shock back on while I have the bike and probably couldn't be bothered if and when I sell it (by then both the bike and shock will be worth diddly squat anyway!!) So mate here it is!

attachment.php

It's off a 2008 FZ1S and has done about 20,000km before being removed. I don't want anything for it (merry xmas) just happy to help out a fellow FZ rider. I live in the Blue Mountains. Send me a PM.

Back