Fz1 rear shock wanted

Hi Brenden (and sinclap2),

The best thing I've done to my FZ1 was replace the rear shock.

attachment.php

Like Cobalt I have been saving all my stock parts so that I can return the bike to stock if required. The thing is that I'll never put the stock shock back on while I have the bike and probably couldn't be bothered if and when I sell it (by then both the bike and shock will be worth diddly squat anyway!!) So mate here it is!

attachment.php

It's off a 2008 FZ1S and has done about 20,000km before being removed. I don't want anything for it (merry xmas) just happy to help out a fellow FZ rider. I live in the Blue Mountains. Send me a PM.

PM Sent. I will take it, if Bren doesn't want it. Thanks Bluey.

No worries,

I'll keep you posted.

Just got word my Ohlins FGRT 206 are at the shop ready to go. I'm a little excited. My old forks & brakes will be up for grabs after Xmas.

I'm in RADelaide..

Cheers
Jason

Jason,
I'd still be interested in your rear shock when it is available.

I know a lot of people say the stock FZ1 shock is crap but I noticed nobody takes the time to explain why it's no good. I'm all for upgrading suspension but I always thought it might be prudent to explain it to the inquiring minds.

Confusing :dontknow::dontknow:

Why? The spring rate is wrong for most people, the damping is all but non-existant, the response of the shock is way too slow to road surface changes, resulting in a rough ride, even if the preload is backed off, and the compression damping is lessened. Once it's backed off to make it compliant is a bowl of jello.

Once you've ridden a bike with a quality suspension you'll know. Even for commuting.

If anyone needs one I'm happy to help out. Mine is just sitting in a box - just flick me a few bob for postage & maybe a few beers & it's yours.

Contact [email protected]

Note, mine is a first gen.

Once you've ridden a bike with a quality suspension you'll know. Even for commuting.

I do indeed know, I just wanted some clear explanation for the sake of people asking :tup: Upgrading my bike's suspenders is pretty much the only mod I really even do :)

'It's crap' is definitely true but 'it's crap because _____' is much more compelling.

Last edited:
As Hellgate properly pointed out, the Gen2 FZ1 shock does not have enough compression damping. That means that the shock is toO soft and does not resist bumps well. Only the rebound and spring preload are adjustable. So hitting a bump mid-corner at a moderate lean can make the bike feel hinged and unstable.

I actually had the stock shock worked over by my suspension sponsor and he cut it open, added some compression and matched it up to an Ohlins shock on his shock dyno. Worked great, but I got a killer deal on a Penske that he set-up for me and I sold the modded stock shock to NightTrain on this forum. The Penske is length adjustable and has a remote reservior with a slow speed compression adjuster.

Anyway, you FZ8 guys may have to do a little minor mod to use the R1 shock and adapter, but it is WORLDS better than the stock FZ1 shock.

Last edited:
I think it depends on you weight,I am 80kgs,and to be honest I find the stock FZ1 gen 2 one fine,I could change my mind if I tried a up graded one?

Last edited:
Here's the new home for my FZ1 shock.

attachment.php

Bren came up this morning to pick the shock up. As you can see his FZ8 looks very nice and I hope the shock makes an improvement for his bike.
Hopefully he will let us know how the FZ1 shock performs in his FZ8 in due course.

Cheers mate.

shock

Hi Brenden
I have a std shock for a 07 FZ1 in good conditionyou can have for $50, im in Mittagong nsw i go to sydney every day for work so might be able to drop it in?

Peter

Nice ride Bren! What is the brand exhaust on her? More all-around photos please?

Congrats!!

Hey mate, thanks heaps, pretty stoked with her. The only things I will be adding are performance parts. Two brother juice box is on order!

The exhaust is a mivv double gun. From memory it was about 350 shipped. Weighs a fraction of what the stock exhaust did!

Well it's in! I'm pretty happy too. The feeling of the back sinking and the front going up when giving it a hit are gone! Nice and stiff now and no bouncing over bumps!

I've got my FZ1 front shock ready to go if you know anyone that wants them for their 8. They're on Gumtree & the Aussie thread in this forum. A few other bits & pieces from the front end conversion too are up for grabs too.

Back