FZ1 Supension settings

mikebn09

Hi, Guy's,

Just picked up my new FZ1 and I would like to set up the suspension. I only ride for pleasure on dry days. I'm 12.5st and 5'10 medium build. It has stock Dunlop D221s.

The settings are standard I think? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Try the following settings, they are recommended by Lee from Traxxion dynamics for riders around your weight.
I weight around your weight and I use them myself and find them to be pretty good.

Front:
Pre-load 4 bands
Compression: 9-10 clicks out from full hard
Rebound: 14-15 clicks out from full hard

Rear:
Pre-load: 3-4
Rebound: 6 clicks out from full hard

Try the following settings, they are recommended by Lee from Traxxion dynamics for riders around your weight.
I weight around your weight and I use them myself and find them to be pretty good.

Front:
Pre-load 4 bands

Rear:

Cheers for that. Having to wait till Thursday to get out on it. Currently +5 and gray. However +12 and Sunny on Thursday.

Bloody UK weather it ruins many a day.

Front:
Pre-load 4 bands

Rear:

Had a bash last night, rear was already set, however the front needs tweeking up. Thanks matey.

Decided to take it to an expert, I'm off to a place called Dynopro Racing - Home
This Saturday.

They said they will do a static sag test and have a look. Also was recommended a place called, suspension

They claim to set the bike up for you based on weight and riding style. Taking 45 mins for £50 notes.

All in all it seems harder for track days and softer for roads. Compared to my Fazer 600 2001 the front is rock hard.

Mine was set up rock hard from the dealership, best thing I ever did was soften it up, very close to the settings above.

Same here Missy, I had it "professionally" set-up and then set the clickers back to the above settings after my first ride.
I checked my sag settings and they were spot on but I hated the harder dampening settings. Probably would have been alright at the track though.

Finally got round to setting up the front. As per your settings, have to say immediate change, pre load 1 harder, compression 5 clicks softer, rebound 3 clicks harder = your settings. Cant fault it especially on hard breaking as it comes up much quicker.

Cheers for these.

Front:
Pre-load 4 bands

Rear:

No worries, I'd be interested to know if you like the settings once you take it for a proper ride. Please let us know how it goes.

Finally got round to setting up the front. As per your settings, have to say immediate change, pre load 1 harder, compression 5 clicks softer, rebound 3 clicks harder = your settings. Cant fault it especially on hard breaking as it comes up much quicker.

Cheers for these.

Awesome, I'm still rocking those settings and the bike handles like a dream.
Lee from Traxxions really knows his stuff and is a top bloke as well, very helpful fella.

Decided to take it to an expert, I'm off to a place called Dynopro Racing - Home
This Saturday.

They said they will do a static sag test and have a look. Also was recommended a place called, suspension

They claim to set the bike up for you based on weight and riding style. Taking 45 mins for £50 notes.

All in all it seems harder for track days and softer for roads. Compared to my Fazer 600 2001 the front is rock hard.

I have used Kais in the past but more for track riding. Now I am in Oz I have used Shock Treatment in Sydney for setting up my Superduke R.......still managed to dump it at the creek on turn three.

I will try your settings now I have the FZ1-N although it depends on the roads conditions............the tarmac in the UK is much better than Oz. We have to contend with more pot-holes, variable tarmac quality and the occasional dirt track. The better quality roads arounds Sydney have more feds patrolling them.:ban:

Front:
Pre-load 4 bands

Rear:

Let's say, for the sake of discussion, I've lost my boyish figure and weight 15.7st (about 220lbs). Any easy way to convert the settings above for a heavier person?

Well for the sake of discussion :)
Your springs would more than likely be too soft. You would definitely need more preload front and rear but as far as dampers go, you would have to experiment a little. A few clicks harder maybe?
These are just my uneducated guesses. It might be best to take your bike to a suspension guru.

i take all my bikes to MCT who then do a 100% set up.Ive been in touch and he said he will be changing the front fork springs and putting in a different visc oil.Cant remember what he recommended for the rear.I dont completely understand suspension set up. I do know that every bike he has set up for me has been a revelation so trust his knowledge completely.
One of the first mods i do and well worth the money

Ride height also affects handling as I have found out this weekend in a big way.
I have a Nitron NTR Sport height adjustable rear shock in my FZ1N and it's adjusted 5mm higher than stock, again at Lee from Traxxions recommendation.
This weekend I dropped the front end 5mm and it has transformed the bike.
The handling is very precise, it steers quicker and even holds a tighter line.
My bikes handling traits are now sportsbike like which I'm really happy about.
My front end settings are as above and my rear Nitron is set at 10 out from full hard.
I weigh 78 kgs or 172 pounds.

Firstly, set the sag for your weight. Go on you tube there are pleanty of vids that will walk you through this process and explain why, Dave Moss has some brilliant vids on there and also explains how to set your rebound & compression, tyre wear.. etc. To work-out your correct spring rates for your weight go to the Race-tech website and use their suspension calculator, it will work it out for you and tell you the correct springs front & rear for your weight and bike & give a few other options, it is a great website. From my own experience with the FZ1 suspension, the rear shock is useless for anything more than motorway cruising and the front is wooden with crap rebound adjustment. I have upgraded rear with Ohlins & 05 R1 front-end.

Hope this helps you

This Saturday.

50 quid is a rip-off for something you can do with a mate/missus in 10 mins for free, go on youtube there are plenty of quality tuition vids on suspension set-up.

Can you point me to a YouTube video... I'm struggling to find one. My fz1 is rock solid and would love to change it but have no idea how...

Back