FZ1 Supension settings

Can you point me to a YouTube video... I'm struggling to find one. My fz1 is rock solid and would love to change it but have no idea how...

Dave Moss does a series of vids on youtube, look under catalyst reaction suspension, (sorry for my bad spelling).

Dave Moss does a series of vids on youtube, look under catalyst reaction suspension, (sorry for my bad spelling).

Yup. +1. Dave Moss taught me how to set up my suspenders, using youtube. my advice is to watch lots of vids, and then pick out the ones most relevent, and then go through them again in order (sag first etc.)

More advice....if you can't use a track, to set up, then do a well known road, repeatedly, so when it comes to fine tuning, you can make accurate comparisons....and make sure your suspension is thoroughly warm.

Can you point me to a YouTube video... I'm struggling to find one. My fz1 is rock solid and would love to change it but have no idea how...

Stu...Take it to Perry at HM Racing Edenbridge. Very cool how a proper adjusted suspension really makes a difference.

Neil

Sorry ballmead I never got back to you, set as you posted and seems perfect for me. Big change especially with the front, comes up nicely after hard breaking. Just had new BT-T30s fitted and could not be happier. Rode from Altrincham to Matlock via the snake pass last week and it was heaven.

Try the following settings, they are recommended by Lee from Traxxion dynamics for riders around your weight.
I weight around your weight and I use them myself and find them to be pretty good.

Front:
Pre-load 4 bands
Compression: 9-10 clicks out from full hard
Rebound: 14-15 clicks out from full hard

Rear:
Pre-load: 3-4
Rebound: 6 clicks out from full hard

I am a newbie to adjustable suspension and my bike did not come with a manual. So where/how do you make these adjustments to the front. More importantly...how can you tell what setting the rear is on and which way to you click it to make is stiffer? More importantly...HOW do you go about adjusting the rear shock. I truly need step by step sorry :-/

I am a newbie to adjustable suspension and my bike did not come with a manual. So where/how do you make these adjustments to the front. More importantly...how can you tell what setting the rear is on and which way to you click it to make is stiffer? More importantly...HOW do you go about adjusting the rear shock. I truly need step by step sorry :-/

First you need to understand compression, rebound and spring pre-load when it comes to suspension.

The forks on the Gen2 FZ1 are separate function forks. One side handles compression and the other side handle rebound. It's etched into the top triple clamp as to which is which. Both forks have a spring preload adjustment that requires a wrench to adjust. The damping adjustments are made with a flat blade screw driver by turning the screw in the center on the preload adjuster. Clockwise add resistance and counter clockwise reduces resistance. The easiest way to see where you are on the forks compression and rebound is to slowly turn the adjustment screws clockwise counting the number of clicks until it stops turning and back up to the last full click position. Then you can count the clicks as your turn from full hard to reach your desired adjustment.

The stock FZ1 shock is not very good. It lacks compression damping and it has no compression adjuster. You can adjust the rebound which is the small flat blade adjust ment screw near the bottom of the shock. You can also adjust spring preload with the spanner wrench in your tool kit.

First you need to understand compression, rebound and spring pre-load when it comes to suspension.

The forks on the Gen2 FZ1 are separate function forks. One side handles compression and the other side handle rebound. It's etched into the top triple clamp as to which is which. Both forks have a spring preload adjustment that requires a wrench to adjust. The damping adjustments are made with a flat blade screw driver by turning the screw in the center on the preload adjuster. Clockwise add resistance and counter clockwise reduces resistance. The easiest way to see where you are on the forks compression and rebound is to slowly turn the adjustment screws clockwise counting the number of clicks until it stops turning and back up to the last full click position. Then you can count the clicks as your turn from full hard to reach your desired adjustment.

The stock FZ1 shock is not very good. It lacks compression damping and it has no compression adjuster. You can adjust the rebound which is the small flat blade adjust ment screw near the bottom of the shock. You can also adjust spring preload with the spanner wrench in your tool kit.

Thanx, I looked all of that up online already. My main concern is the rear shock, and I know I can adjust preload and compression etc. I found where those screws are. They say to make sure you have the right adjustment, i need to start from square one and measure on the number of clicks. I don't know which direction to turn the tool for the preload. They measure click postions from "full" so "one click out from full" well..which way is "full" click all the way left or right?. do you measure it based on the holes getting bigger or smaller? I want it stiffer, they measure "one position out from full" would be better for 240+ people which I assume means (in laymans terms) one click from maximum stiffness. but which way is maximum stiffness? :-/ I know I am not using the right terminology but I will get there :)

I see that your bike is a 2003 FZ1, the settings I posted above are for a 2006+ Gen II FZ1.

Here is a link to the owners manual direct from Yamaha Motors US, you should be able to read up on the stock settings for your FZ1 there.

Pay particular attention to section 3 pages 13, 14, 15 & 16. Good luck and happy reading.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/assets/service/manuals/2003/LIT-11626-16-33_3.pdf

Last edited:
Thanx, I looked all of that up online already. My main concern is the rear shock, and I know I can adjust preload and compression etc. I found where those screws are. They say to make sure you have the right adjustment, i need to start from square one and measure on the number of clicks. I don't know which direction to turn the tool for the preload. They measure click postions from "full" so "one click out from full" well..which way is "full" click all the way left or right?. do you measure it based on the holes getting bigger or smaller? I want it stiffer, they measure "one position out from full" would be better for 240+ people which I assume means (in laymans terms) one click from maximum stiffness. but which way is maximum stiffness? :-/ I know I am not using the right terminology but I will get there :)

All the way fully clockwise is maximum hard.

Think of it as a water tap, clock wise restricts the flow, anticlockwise makes it flow more. The less flow (of oil) the harder the shock is, the more flow (of oil) the softer the shock is.

Make sure you don't try too hard to get the last click as you can cause damage.

OK, I've been inspired to mess with my suspension. I know the stock suspension on the FZ1 isn't good, especially the rear shock, but I haven't been able to save up the money yet, so I'll play with what I have. Since I'm close to 300lbs with gear and everything on my own, I set the rear preload to max when I got the bike. I haven't played with anything else.

Tonight I just went out and played with the compression and rebound on the front. I think comp was 14 clicks from full firm and I changed it to 9 clicks from firm (I'm trying to control dive a bit). I need to up the preload on the front, but I don't have the right tools here. I'll revisit the compression after I increase the preload. The rebound (ten) was 20 clicks from full firm, and I set it to 15 clicks from firm. I know that's too many clicks at one time, but I also know where I was, so I can easily go back. I just have a 20 mile ride home in the morning to check it out.

The rear preload is already at max, as I said, but the rebound was 14 clicks from firm, and I set it at 12 clicks from firm. I think the rear rebound will need more, as I notice way too much bounce (1-2 times) after a big bump.

I'm really looking for something with springs for my weight and a fast and slow compression settings. I'll see what my pocketbook can handle. I'll report on my changes tomorrow morning after my ride home.

OK, I've been inspired to mess with my suspension. I know the stock suspension on the FZ1 isn't good, especially the rear shock, but I haven't been able to save up the money yet, so I'll play with what I have. Since I'm close to 300lbs with gear and everything on my own, I set the rear preload to max when I got the bike. I haven't played with anything else.

Tonight I just went out and played with the compression and rebound on the front. I think comp was 14 clicks from full firm and I changed it to 9 clicks from firm (I'm trying to control dive a bit). I need to up the preload on the front, but I don't have the right tools here. I'll revisit the compression after I increase the preload. The rebound (ten) was 20 clicks from full firm, and I set it to 15 clicks from firm. I know that's too many clicks at one time, but I also know where I was, so I can easily go back. I just have a 20 mile ride home in the morning to check it out.

The rear preload is already at max, as I said, but the rebound was 14 clicks from firm, and I set it at 12 clicks from firm. I think the rear rebound will need more, as I notice way too much bounce (1-2 times) after a big bump.

I'm really looking for something with springs for my weight and a fast and slow compression settings. I'll see what my pocketbook can handle. I'll report on my changes tomorrow morning after my ride home.

Troy, you really need fork springs and a shock. That said, you are doing all you can do with the stock shock. Run rear rebound as soft as you can. You will be blowing through your travel easily and you need the shock to be at full length for the next bump. Otherwise, it will be stuck mid-stroke and "pack up" as they say.

In my gear, I'm lucky to be 175 lbs these days. I run more fork spring preload than others. I only have 2 lines showing. I also ride a bunch with my wife as a passenger with luggage, so that put's me closer to your weight.

I have a road that I use to test my suspension. It's bumpy, curvy and not far from home. I simply put a screw driver in my pocket or down in my boot and ride. I ride a short section or road and back, make a 1 change and then ride the same section of road paying particular attention to what difference I feel.

The thing that you need to shoot for is a balanced bike. If your shock is soft, then you need your forks set-up soft, and that is the case for the stock FZ1.

Troy, you really need fork springs and a shock. That said, you are doing all you can do with the stock shock. Run rear rebound as soft as you can. You will be blowing through your travel easily and you need the shock to be at full length for the next bump. Otherwise, it will be stuck mid-stroke and "pack up" as they say.

In my gear, I'm lucky to be 175 lbs these days. I run more fork spring preload than others. I only have 2 lines showing. I also ride a bunch with my wife as a passenger with luggage, so that put's me closer to your weight.

I have a road that I use to test my suspension. It's bumpy, curvy and not far from home. I simply put a screw driver in my pocket or down in my boot and ride. I ride a short section or road and back, make a 1 change and then ride the same section of road paying particular attention to what difference I feel.

The thing that you need to shoot for is a balanced bike. If your shock is soft, then you need your forks set-up soft, and that is the case for the stock FZ1.

I am loosing some weight, but I'm still a fat a$$ and know the stock set up is for around 140-160. I plan to get a rear shock and fork springs ASAP, but I'm adding to the wife's bike too. I just ordered a Corbin seat for her '09 Ninja 250r. She was complaining about the stock seat after 200 miles on our 600 mile trip.

I'd love to just get fork cartridges or R1 forks with R1 brakes, but that can't happen for quite a while. I'm going to go up on fork preload and ride it for a while to see if its better. Then if it feels good, I'll make minor adjustments from there, and if not, I'll go back to what it was before I made changes and go from there.

Thanks for the input. Suspension is so overlooked by most riders. There seems to be some science with suspension, but also a lot of trial and error. I'll keep everyone posted, so other fatties or 2 up riders can do what they can with stock suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Troy, on my FZ1, I just changed the fork and shock springs and had them serviced. It was really cheap but made a big difference. The stock suspension isn't fantastic but if you can make it work in its sweet spot more often, you will be much happier.

I think I only spent $300 or so on parts and labour. Suspension needs to be serviced from time to time anyway :)

I see that your bike is a 2003 FZ1, the settings I posted above are for a 2006+ Gen II FZ1.

Here is a link to the owners manual direct from Yamaha Motors US, you should be able to read up on the stock settings for your FZ1 there.

Pay particular attention to section 3 pages 13, 14, 15 & 16. Good luck and happy reading.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/assets/service/manuals/2003/LIT-11626-16-33_3.pdf

I'm sorry...I posted in the wrong bike section didn't I....my bad. Thank you for your help!

I intend to follow Eric's lead and get a Penske shock from Lee at Traxxion. I'd like to get the one with fast and slow compression dampening. The forks I'll just do the springs and oil.

I felt the compression dampening on the fork was a bit much, so I backed it off 2 clicks and backed off 1 click on the fork rebound. I think the rear is the best it will get. It didn't seem to bounce anymore. I cranked the preload on the fork so only 1 line shows instead of 2. I think that will be pretty good for stock stuff. I might back the compression back a bit more for commuting, but it felt much better in corners and braking. I'm hoping the preload increase makes up for the compression back off. It was hitting bumps a bit harsh on the previous settings.

I'll check it out on the way in to work again tonight. Then I'll count clicks just to be certain what I'm at. I'll let you all know. Thanks for all the input. I don't think "sag" will help me much because I'm heavy enough I'll over power the stock springs.

EDIT: BTW, even though I'm so heavy, I've never felt the fork or rear shock 'bottom out', but I know they are not able to operate in their intended range.

Last edited:
That's definitely the way to go if you can or are willing to spend the cash. I was on a budget with the FZ1 and it was a good result for the money. With the 919, I spent the dough at Traxxion for a CBR F3 shock built to suit my bike. Absolutely worth every penny.

I've heard Lee knows the FZ1 very well and pretty much sends it set up from the factory after you tell him your riding weight, passenger or no (and weight), normal luggage weight, riding type and other info. I hope I'm up to doing the fork springs and oil. I know Eric has a good video for the USD Gen II forks.

I've had great service from Traxxion and can't recommend them enough. Lee and Mike explained all my options to me and were very thorough and honest. I bought an F3 shock on eBay, had the seller deliver it to Traxxion, answered some questions and they did their thing, set it up and shipped it out. Bolt-on magic

Just wanted to drop in here and say thank you to those who have contributed here. It gave me the insight I needed to mess with my suspension a bit. First thing I did was max out the rear and boy did it do wonders... I was unsure about the forks so I waited until I had time to do it. Just got to it tonight...

A. Whole. Different. Bike. :D

I'm 225 and bought the bike from a guy around 200 who was riding it at stock settings. Boy it was soft. I knew the front end was dipping during braking badly but had no idea how to dial it in.

Between here, some links from here to videos, etc.. I was able to do what I could with my stock bike. She's only got 9k mi on her and I have a few things I need more than an upgraded suspension right now. SEAT!

I cannot wait to tackle the mountains again tomorrow.... should be a vastly different experience!!!

Anyway, just thanks guys, this place is a treasure trove... seriously.

Kevin

Back