FZ1 Tail Section Mod?

Ok So I would really love to mod the look of my FZ1 just a touch. I have an 05 FZ1 and I really like the looks and idea of the Sport touring model which happens to be available in Europe and not the US. Bummer for us. So what I was wondering and hopefully someone knows, Would it be possible to swap out the tail section of the FZ1 with that of a FJR that way I can attach the Hard bags.

If you're just looking to attach the hard bags.... look into getting a Givi setup... it doesn't change the tail section, but gives all of the mounting hardware for the hard bags ... side cases and top box...

as far as changing the looks of the tail, it **can** be done... but be prepared to spend a good bit of money... your 05 has the tail section frame welded on to the main frame.... so it's not a matter or unbolting what's there, and bolting up something new... in the past, I've seen people mount a R6 or something similar tail end on, and that's a matter of making some new mounting brackets and whatnot, and welding them to the frame... as far as a FJR tail, I imagine it also **can** be done... but for the functionality of adding luggage and whatnot,you're going too need the lower framework to be functional and worthwhile, since it's not just plastic holding these heavy cases on...

so... just going for luggage.. go Givi.... going for a different look... buy a tail section you like, and start making brackets and welding them to the frame... want both? get a sawzall, cut off what's there... start welding up the new tail section to support the plastic...

It's all metal, pretty much anything **can** be done.. it depends on the time and money you're willing to invest.... Talk to DevilsYam on here... he's a fabrication genius.

That sounds like a ton of work and fabrication. I would first look into the Shad or Givi luggage with their racks as they both make some really nice bolt-on items that would accomplish your goals. :D I personally like the looks of the Shad but the quality of the Givi. It is a tossup!

A guy on the Sport-Touring Forum mounted FJR bags on his Skunk to a rack he made. It didn't look like he modded his tail.

Hard Saddlebags for FZ1 - Sport-Touring.Net

index.php

He attached the side back rack to the topcase rack he already had. See detailed pics of the rack in this post: Hard Saddlebags for FZ1 - Sport-Touring.Net

Not that simple

Ok So I would really love to mod the look of my FZ1 just a touch. I have an 05 FZ1 and I really like the looks and idea of the Sport touring model which happens to be available in Europe and not the US. Bummer for us. So what I was wondering and hopefully someone knows, Would it be possible to swap out the tail section of the FZ1 with that of a FJR that way I can attach the Hard bags.

The FJR uses attachment points on both the tail section and passenger footpeg. So swapping out the tailsection, if possible still would not do what you desire, (unless you are a talented fabricator). It would also be very expensive. Givi makes a setup for your bike, check out the US site,http://www.giviusa.com The quality of the Givi stuff is first rate, check out my album if you want to see pictures or go to the "gallery" under Mods. Mine is a Gen 2 but the idea is the same. The mounting was easy and I can remove the stuff if I want without anyone ever being able to tell it was on.

Back