FZ1 vs. CB1000R

I looked at one when I started looking for an FZ1. I liked the single sided swingarm, but didn't care for the exhaust or the aesthetics in general and the bike seemed smaller in person than an FZ1 - seemed to be more the size of my CBR600. They were not dealing on them either, they were not willing to come off the price more than a few hundred bucks and this was for cash.

Bought an '09 FZ1 instead.....

Some interesting comments here considering Cycle World tested all the major 1000CC sportbike including the BMW S1000RR, and the Honda CBR 1000 came out on top. Oh yea I'm on a FZ1 forum, what else was I expecting to read :)

Seems to be a wee bit of confusion here as to what the CB1000R is, so:

usyhy6y2.jpg

2008-Present worldwide

I like it. I like the styling, love the gauges & switches, the single-sided swingarm and it's supposed to be a good handler as CrazyBiker mentioned.

It's the 2008 replacement for the 919 which was killed in 2007. It really seems to have the same sort of design cues; easy handling, mid-range power and an emphasis on style and street performance. The 919 is better looking, though. :)

Shame it didn't come here in 2008. Pricing being equal, I'd have the CB1000 over the FZ1. I think.

Last edited:
Some interesting comments here considering Cycle World tested all the major 1000CC sportbike including the BMW S1000RR, and the Honda CBR 1000 came out on top. Oh yea I'm on a FZ1 forum, what else was I expecting to read :)

You read about the CBR1000RR

Not the CB1000R

2 completely different animals. Everyone here is well aware the FZ doesn't compare to the supersport 1000's in any way.

I recall one magazine stating that the CB was great commuting around town with lighter quicker handling and more responsive fueling/ low-end power over other bikes in its class.

Possibly a better bike than the FZ1 for zipping around the city or commuting from the suburbs ???

I'll be the first to admit my FZ1 had pretty crummy fueling and low-end power in stock form and in my opinion would not be the best choice for someone that rarely see's more than 7000rpm on the tach. ( in stock form )

Yamaha isn't synonymous with torque IMO. Having ridden r1's and cbr1000rr's, and now my gen1 I can say that it seems to be a common Yamaha trait. My Hondas felt like John Deere tractors with the amount of torque they had when compared to these yamahas!

For some reason it never seemed to take off in Australia.....Honda don't even sell them here anymore by what I can see on the Honda Australa web site.

For some reason it never seemed to take off in Australia.....Honda don't even sell them here anymore by what I can see on the Honda Australa web site.
Great bike but priced to high here,they started out at $19,000 plus on road cost of about $1,000,when they dropped the price to $15,000 ride away they sold.As I said before we get ripped of here in Australia on the price of new bikes

Yamaha isn't synonymous with torque IMO. Having ridden r1's and cbr1000rr's, and now my gen1 I can say that it seems to be a common Yamaha trait. My Hondas felt like John Deere tractors with the amount of torque they had when compared to these yamahas!

I have always said that about Yamaha. Needless to say, my next bike won't be a Yamaha but something that is sorted out of the box like the Honda or Kawasaki bikes.

The Honda is nice but if I am going to replace the fz I am going with a Bimmer. The k1300r is one BAMF, go big or go home right!

Just don't ride one till you can afford it.. I made this terrible mistake and my gen1 felt like a dinosaur after ...

cb1000r is too small I got cramps just sitting on it in the showroom.

I have always said that about Yamaha. Needless to say, my next bike won't be a Yamaha but something that is sorted out of the box like the Honda or Kawasaki bikes.

It's easily helped by changing the sprockets but dang. I'm not used to slipping the clutch to get moving on a 1000cc bike.

The ZX10 is a nice bike (in my weekend group 3 guys ride them) as is the CBR. After having ridden each, I still will take the CBR every time. :D

Back