FZ1N shock install??

I have just bought scottyd's Penske 8983 shock (thanks again scotty) and would like to fit it up this weekend.

I don't really want to spend any more money having someone else fit it, if I don't have to.

My FZ1N doesn't have a centre stand so the easiest way is out of the question.

I don't have anywhere to strap the rear of the bike to the ceiling so I was after some other suggestions of ways to lift an FZ1N (securely) to replace the rear shock??

Do you own any automotive chassis stands? If you do, you could place one under the inside of your right peg the un pivoted part, push the bike too the right and place one under the left peg. Just guessing here as its raining and I'm not going to the garage to check.

I looked at that. It didn't look like there was much to hold onto.

I'm going to loosen the shock bolts with the bike on the side stand.

I'll get my brother to steady the front, chock the front wheel and then I'll jack up the centre of the bike with a floor jack and remove the existing shock and put the new one in with the bolts semi tightened.

Then I'll put the bike on its side stand and fully tighten the bolts.

That should do it.

Sent from my GT-I9300

I looked at that. It didn't look like there was much to hold onto.

I'm going to loosen the shock bolts with the bike on the side stand.

I'll get my brother to steady the front, chock the front wheel and then I'll jack up the centre of the bike with a floor jack and remove the existing shock and put the new one in with the bolts semi tightened.

Then I'll put the bike on its side stand and fully tighten the bolts.

That should do it.

Sort of what I was going to suggest. ;) One of the best FZ1N bikes is getting better! :tup: Congrats on the shock (Sorry Scott!) Are you two about the same weight? If not, you can email Lee at Traxxion for recommended settings and he'll gladly help you out.

Cheers! Enjoy the new stability!

Thanks Eric.

We are pretty close weight wise, Scotty might be a tad heavier than me but only by a few kilograms.

I will definitely email Lee, he has helped me out before with some suspension setting tips even when there was nothing in it for himself.
He is a top bloke.

I can't stop modding this bike, especially when some really nice bits and pieces seem to turn up all the time.

It just makes riding it even more fun.

I've used a one gallon paint bucket, (the metals ones, not plastic), with a square of 5/8" plywood over the top. Place the whole thing under the front of the header. I used my Pitbulls to get the bike up in the air first.

You'll want to test it slowly to make sure the can doesn't collapse.

Do you have fixed rearset pegs? If so get the bike up, and place a jack stand under each foot peg. Two person job.

You'll like the Penske. In fact I thought you had one already.

I've used a one gallon paint bucket, (the metals ones, not plastic), with a square of 5/8" plywood over the top. Place the whole thing under the front of the header. I used my Pitbulls to get the bike up in the air first.

You'll want to test it slowly to make sure the can doesn't collapse.

Do you have fixed rearset pegs? If so get the bike up, and place a jack stand under each foot peg. Two person job.

You'll like the Penske. In fact I thought you had one already.

I might give the paint tin a miss :)

Unfortunately I don't have fixed rearsets because that would have been my preferred option.

I have a Nitron but it's only 1 way adjustable. It's a good shock but I couldn't pass up on the Penske.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Well that was much easier than expected.

My brother came over and held the front, just in case, and I loosened all the bolts while it was on the rear paddock stand.

Then jacked it up with a small floor jack where the centre stand usually sits, took out the old and in with the new.

All up, including putting my exhaust back on it took around 1.5 hours.

Here's some pics, I promise to take good care of it scottyd :)

Back