Fz6, fz7, fz8, fz9 ?

silentcropduster

Gf has outgrown her weed wacker with wheels, 2009 ninja 250.

She wants a bigger bike, 600cc+ that's more upright, not a ss. I was doing some digging on the above models. Fz9 is probably too much bike for her, that leaves the other 3. I'm aware there's and fz6r - just no!

She would be buying used and wants the best bang for her buck (don't we all lol). She also happens to be short, like 5"4" so the bike will need lowered about a 1/2in.

Anybody have first hand experience?

Her price range would be 6k max including tax.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Can't beat an SV650! They do a faired and naked and both are brilliant. Cheap, too

Funny story...it was my first bike..2005 SV650S with fairing. Gf hated it. When I sold it for 4k, I offered to sell it 2 her for 2k just so I could keep it in the garage lol. She refused.
ysy5y8a5.jpg

4000 miles! Wow! Seems like a good buy for $4000 or a little less if you're cheeky. It's a very high rpm motor so it may feel slow if she isn't the kind of person to rev it up to redline

4000 miles! Wow! Seems like a good buy for $4000 or a little less if you're cheeky. It's a very high rpm motor so it may feel slow if she isn't the kind of person to rev it up to redline

U have to rev her 250 past 9k before u even get a semblance of horse powers lol but yes I saw kkb said it was worth 4200, he's asking over book? Lol I'd offer him 4k no more depending on if the oil smells skunked and the sprocket/chain life

I don't know why you've excluded the FZ6R but that was my wife's first sport bike. We lowered it 1" with the Roaring Toyz kit and it was spot-on. The install document for the link was written by me and that is her bike in the photos. :D

I don't know why you've excluded the FZ6R but that was my wife's first sport bike. We lowered it 1" with the Roaring Toyz kit and it was spot-on. The install document for the link was written by me and that is her bike in the photos. :D

A ton of reviews on it are not so favorable, very heavy frame crappy suspension etc.

Last edited:

yeah... haters be hating! lol
been on mine for over five years and I still get a grin every time I hop on her.... way overlooked bike imho

Marthy just had access to an FZ07, said it was a great all around bike... think he's ridden most of the others as well (currently owns the FZ9)

A ton of reviews on it are not so favorable, very heavy frame crappy suspension etc.

It is a heavy bike but that's all low center of gravity. My wife is 5' 2" and she had no trouble with it. The suspension is no different than two of the others you're looking at and realistically, Yamaha doesn't put a good suspension on ANY model starting the the letter F. So long as she is under 150 lbs, she'll be fine on the stock suspension anyway.

What I liked about it? Smooth, fast (enough), adjustable seat AND handlebars for the rider, awesome fuel economy and unlike the FZ6 and FZ1, extremely predictable throttle throughout. It handles very well for the weight and Michele had no trouble standing it up, cornering, etc... It's far easier to lower than the FZ6 and I'm not sure what is out there to lower the other FZ models... haven't looked.

I really think a lot of the bad reviews for the 6R are from larger guys who do not fit the bike. This was designed for small guys or women just getting their sportbike feet wet. She had it for only 2 years before moving the the FZ1 herself. Now she won't go back. ;)

It is a heavy bike but that's all low center of gravity. My wife is 5' 2" and she had no trouble with it. The suspension is no different than two of the others you're looking at and realistically, Yamaha doesn't put a good suspension on ANY model starting the the letter F. So long as she is under 150 lbs, she'll be fine on the stock suspension anyway.

What I liked about it? Smooth, fast (enough), adjustable seat AND handlebars for the rider, awesome fuel economy and unlike the FZ6 and FZ1, extremely predictable throttle throughout. It handles very well for the weight and Michele had no trouble standing it up, cornering, etc... It's far easier to lower than the FZ6 and I'm not sure what is out there to lower the other FZ models... haven't looked.

I really think a lot of the bad reviews for the 6R are from larger guys who do not fit the bike. This was designed for small guys or women just getting their sportbike feet wet. She had it for only 2 years before moving the the FZ1 herself. Now she won't go back. ;)

Welp the cheapest one locally I found was a 2009 FZ6 would offer them 4k, it only has 4k mikes. If I csn find an fz6r I'll have the gf check it out and see what she thinks

The 7 is a brand new parallel twin and the 9 is a brand new triple. The 6 and 8 are just parts bin bikes from a decade old sport bike; not bad bikes by any means and they are much cheaper on the used market

Last edited:
The 7 is a brand new parallel twin and the 9 is a brand new triple. The 6 and 8 are just parts bin bikes from a decade old sport bike; not bad bikes by any means and they are much cheaper on the used market

exactly. It depends also what you like, torque and street riding or sport bikes high rpm peak power. I had an Fz6 and Fz1 and liked them a lot, back in Germany I needed something with Fairing for the Autobahn trips to the Alps (70 km form Munich in <30 min) and enjoyed them a lot, however in the Alps more torque would have been better because of many slow turns where you can not get into the rev range to have enough power with the Fz6. Especially in the mountains I would go with the Fz7 vs Fz6 and with the Fz9 vs Fz1. Well I do touring as well and again I like to bring luggage and have some protection against the elements so the Fz1 is still great for me. Best would be to test drive the bikes and see what she likes.

Back