FZ8 Hard Shifting

Well, when it rains it pours. Just after finding a stress crack in the frame on my 07 FZ1 my brand new 2012 FZ8 doesn't want to shift! Only 600 miles on the bike and just did its first oil change.

Bike was difficult shifting down for a bit during the break in period but now it's really REALLY hard to shift up or down. Guess I'll be going to the dealer tomorrow.

WTF Yamaha?

Try adjusting your clutch cable.

I know how ya feel on the bad luck our boiler just took a dump, had to have emergency crews ventilate the house and send repair crews out to fix it. Just what I needed...

Well, when it rains it pours. Just after finding a stress crack in the frame on my 07 FZ1 my brand new 2012 FZ8 doesn't want to shift! Only 600 miles on the bike and just did its first oil change.

Bike was difficult shifting down for a bit during the break in period but now it's really REALLY hard to shift up or down. Guess I'll be going to the dealer tomorrow.

WTF Yamaha?

What does the difficulty shifting feel like? Does it just not want to go into gear or does it take a lot of effort to get it into gear?

I wonder if the clutch cable is adjusted properly? :dontknow:

Doublecheck that nothing is coming in contact with your shifter. Do you by any chance have rearsets etc??? When I installed rearsets my kick-stand was impeding with my shifting. I had to make a few adjustments.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what the linkage looks like on a Fz8 but you could take it apart and make sure it all moves freely.

Not to be captain obvious but if it's not the linkage or other exterior things then it could be the internal 'return' spring...

Good luck and keep us posted on your solution.

Sorry to hear about this bud. Man, what a crappy weekend it turned into! I feel terrible. I thought for sure that the oil change would clear that issue up. Let me know what happens at the dealer.

shifting

my 2012 fz1 does the same thing....In trying to diagnose it myself I found that if i pull in the clutch, blip the throttle it seams to break the clutch loose and allows a good shift ...my bike has about 800 miles on it and is getting better w/ time and break in....but if it persists it will be going to dealer for a fix....It may be that the bike sat for a year before it was bought and the clutch may have been stuck together for sooo long it just sticks and need to be worn in....my best guess....keep us posted

I use Amsoil as well. That's what's in the bike right now.

It's not the linkage. Like I said, it has only got 600 miles on it and I've made no changes to the rear sets.

I brought it to the dealer today. As soon as I find out what's going on I'll fill everyone in.

my 2012 fz1 does the same thing....In trying to diagnose it myself I found that if i pull in the clutch, blip the throttle it seams to break the clutch loose and allows a good shift ...my bike has about 800 miles on it and is getting better w/ time and break in....but if it persists it will be going to dealer for a fix....It may be that the bike sat for a year before it was bought and the clutch may have been stuck together for sooo long it just sticks and need to be worn in....my best guess....keep us posted

Sounds like a similar situation, but mine got much worse instead of better even after switching to Amsoil.

There's something funky about the fz8 clutch... My wife's would often miss shifts when it was new. I had tried to attribute it to her not riding for several years. Except it happened to me also. Now the bike has about 6000 miles on it and only misses shifts if it's rider related.

I hope Brian doesn't angry but I know he's busy so I am posting the findings on the hard shifting issue. After three times going back to the dealer, they finally cracked open the clutch case and did an inspection. It wound up that they found heavy assembly grease that during assembly, found it's way onto the plates. That in turn cause them to bind to each other and not release when needed. They disassembled the unit, cleaned and the steel plates, soaked them all again and reinstalled. The bike shifts like a dream now. So if your having similar issues, that's an easy fix for you to do.

I hope Brian doesn't angry but I know he's busy so I am posting the findings on the hard shifting issue. After three times going back to the dealer, they finally cracked open the clutch case and did an inspection. It wound up that they found heavy assembly grease that during assembly, found it's way onto the plates. That in turn cause them to bind to each other and not release when needed. They disassembled the unit, cleaned and the steel plates, soaked them all again and reinstalled. The bike shifts like a dream now. So if your having similar issues, that's an easy fix for you to do.

Awesome! Something that slipped through the nets I guess!

Someone was missing on the Cleanup job, eh? Glad it was sorted out but what a PITA for Brian! May that be the LAST of his troubles! Thanks for the update Billy.

Back