Gas Cap Issues - Story and Question

Hello Fazers,

My gas cap lock has been drilled out by a dimwitted shipping driver, and I've been waiting for reimbursement for the damage to buy a new one. In the meantime I've been using my trusty screwdriver to open the gas cap, which has worked until tonight. I went to get gas and the lock wouldn't turn. After doing some research, I realize that it's a miracle the damn thing worked for so long (almost two months), and that I'm an idiot for not replacing the cap right away. So now I need to purchase/install a new cap assembly, but I have some questions: Are the OEM replacement caps keyed to a specific key? What's a good way to go about getting the cap open to get at that safety bolt inside? Doing some research, I've found that boat parts suppliers carry the cap part number for a much more discounted price than the motorcycle parts sites- has anyone heard of this? Also, if the key isn't specific, does anyone have an OEM cap laying around that they replaced with a twist-off?

Thanks for any/all help.

Story below for justification.

I'm in the military, and moved across the country recently. I had my bike shipped (wince) because some friends have had some good experiences w/ no damage done. So when I shipped it, the company said "get it down to 1/4 tank and we'll be good to go." *Moving out* day came and went without a hitch. Fast forward a week and a half, and I get a call from the new *moving in* company saying, "Hey, just so you're not too surprised- there's some damage to your bike. We couldn't store it with gas in it, and someone told the driver to deal with it, so he had a 'mechanic' drill out the cap to siphon the gas out. The tank is also dented." Uh, thanks? I reminded him that I had been in the area (house hunting) during that time, and they could have simply called me and I could have come out to open the cap. This didn't cross the minds of anyone involved in this process. Anyone with experience in the military knows that the shipping contract goes to the lowest bidder, which really showed though on the end of this trip. Of course, to be reimbursed I had to file a claim, which is still in the works. For some reason I thought it would be taken care of in a timely manner, which is why I didn't spring for a new cap right away. Yes I'm still an idiot for not sucking it up and replacing it ASAP, but that's my story. The tank is still in question, but it's not preventing me from riding.

That sucks ! Who was the shipper? You might be able to slide it off if you take out the five perimeter bolts out. The locking latch is in the front. Good luck

Thanks for the responses, guys. I guess I'll try drilling the lock out some more to see if I can get it open again to get at that internal bolt. I just ordered that aftermarket cap, thanks for the suggestion.

Weird story.....but whatever the lame-o excuse is for buggering the gas cap there is NO excuse for denting your tank. Hold their feet to the fire and ask for a new tank to compensate you for their incompetence. New tank = new gas cap. It should be all OEM Yamaha, none of this aftermarket BS people are saying.

Update:

I purchased the aftermarket cap that was linked above, thinking it would at least get me through until I'm reimbursed. The part seemed well made, however it did not fit the rubber boot/seal correctly. It is going back, and I'm shelling out for a genuine Yamaha cap. I've asked the parts distributor if the cap comes with a key, or if my key will fit the new cap. Once they answer, it'll be on the way. Oh, I ended up destroying the entire lock mechanism to get the cap open again, so no worries there. Gotta love this whole process.

Back