Gas Leak..

craig074

I checked the bike over real quick before starting it. No leaks at all. When I kicked the engine over, gas came out of the bottom at a good rate. Wasn't a slow drip and it wasn't gushing out. I would say I lost about an 1/8th of the tank in about 10-15 seconds of idle. I didn't have a lot of time to look it over because I had to get to work. In the few minutes I did get to look at it, I didn't notice anything coming from the carbs or the tank itself. Looks like it is coming from underneath somewhere, maybe a drain hose, but again didn't have enough time to investigate.

I am not mechanically inclined at all. I was hoping for some idea's, so when I get home I have somewhere to start. :banghead:

Only change I did recently was put in 93 octane from 89 octane. Did that yesterday on the way home. Rode it for about 30 miles, parked it and nothing was leaking at the time.

my first thought would be a stuck float in the carb.

I agree...or it could be that one of the float bowl drain bolts has come lose. Happened to me on my YZF1000. Not a pretty sight to see all that gas streaming down from the bottom of the bike.

There really is no drain hone, other than a vent hose for the tank so I doubt that's it.

Update: Fixed the gas leak, stuck float. A few knocks and problem solved. Now I have a new problem :looseit:
In the process of knocking the carbs to loosen the stuck float, I cracked the float bowl. Tiny little crack, leaking maybe a drop of gas in an hour, but none the less, it is leaking and I want it fixed. As most of you know, finding just a float bowl is near impossible. So my attempt at fixing it is to sand down the bowl to make the surface rough. Then apply some gas tank epoxy over the crack and hope it adheres.

Wish me luck.

After cleaning it all up and washing it to make sure all the oils are off, try some JB Weld. That will more than seal it.

i gave that some thought, and I would have to drain the flaot bowl. I don't want to mess with the drain bolt, so I don't make matters worse trying to tighten or loosen the bolt. The other way I thought of draining the fuel out of the bowl is turn off the fuel line and run the bike for a few until it is gone, should do the trick. Then I found out about this gas tank epoxy that adheres even if there is gas on the object. Figure give that a try first.

After cleaning it all up and washing it to make sure all the oils are off, try some JB Weld. That will more than seal it.

:+2:

Always use a light "Rubber" mallet when tapping alloys, believe me I have committed far greater blunders than you. :)

Back