Gas Smell

I wish I or someone else had any kind of answer for Adam's fuel cut off before being selfish and asking my own question.

Sometimes, not always, when I really gun the bike, while riding, I can briefly smell fuel. The bike responds perfectly by accelerating briskly and there is absolutely no sign of performance issues. I never smell it otherwise, like when it's parked, and there's no smell in the garage and no dripping or wetness anywhere that I can ever see. So my long winded question is does anyone else ever smell fuel on hard acceleration? Even if it's just for a split second? If not, do you think I should mention it on my next service (I have just under 2000 miles so next service is 4000)? Or mention it sooner?

Hey, if I can get more people to respond by finding different ways to answer my original post -- I'm all for it...

I am smelling fuel after hard accelleration -- or after I shut the bike down -- but I do not have any leaks -- or the place where it is leaking causes it to evaporate before finding....but just had an epiphany....

I wonder if I might have some sort of blockage in fuel line from when I swapped parts---a few months back or maybe pinched the fuel line??

airfilter??

as descibed before-- problem started the day after the first ride with the lowers on....maybe the little thieves did something else to the bike when they stripped it of the lower discs to secure the fairing...

short order, jet kit -- so when I get my replacement boot -- I can check all those items

:popcorn:

Sounds like it floods just for a second and sorts it self out. do you have any aftermarket performance on the bike. Gen1 or 2

Plus other things to consider like how fast you are going, what gear youre in, which way the wind is coming from, if its from dead stop or while already up to speed

Well Norm this is just an educated guess, but it could be that under hard acceleration a small amount of gas is going out the overflow or vent hose. I have never experienced that with my bike, but since our bikes are FI flooding is not an issue like with carbs. You could mention it at your next service, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sounds like it floods just for a second and sorts it self out. do you have any aftermarket performance on the bike. Gen1 or 2

just waiting on bikebandits to deliver me my replacement boot to port....then hell ya there will be some modifications!

No mods. Just happens while underway with hard acceleration, and from a start sometimes. It's very fleeting, and very subtle. Thanks for the advice. I'll mention it at the next service.

Got the answer today:

I stopped by the dealership and they were awesome. A mechanic came out and went through the bike. He said "I checked everything but I was fairly certain it was nothing. Watch this:" He shook the bike and then said "Put your ear near the gas cap." Sure enough I heard a hissing noise as he said I would. Then he opened the cap and showed me the small red exhaust valve right at top. He said "Yamaha puts the exhaust valve right under the cap. This wouldn't ordinarily be noticeable but your bigass windshield (I have a California Scientific windshield-very tall) creates a vortex that keeps the fumes in the cockpit area." Made sense to me.

So, a Two Brothers slip-on, TS seat, AIS blockoff, LARS airbox mod, PC V with Autotune and a Puig racing screen and Norm? You are all set with the fume issue! :D :tup:

Back