Gas Tank Coating?

I'm working on the XV today and one of my last bubbles of hope has been burst. The gas tank has rust in it. Yes I knew it was a matter of time, but time is here.

What is the current method for coating tanks? 25 years ago I used a product called Kreem. Is that still the best product to use?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I recently did a rust removal on a tank for my friend's VFR. We used this new product called Metal Rescue. It's a water-based rust remover and doesn't damage paint or involve any harsh chemicals. Worked a treat and stripped all the old rust and sediment off. It's re-usable too which makes it cost-effective

Great tips guys, thank you all very much!

Oh, where can I find items like these, HD, Lowe's, Ace? Or will I need to go to a commercial store?

Last edited:
I recently did a rust removal on a tank for my friend's VFR. We used this new product called Metal Rescue. It's a water-based rust remover and doesn't damage paint or involve any harsh chemicals. Worked a treat and stripped all the old rust and sediment off. It's re-usable too which makes it cost-effective

I will second this product.

My girlfriend Daytona 675 had so much rust in it from sitting for about 1 & 1/2 years. i saw it on one of the tv car repair shows on Spike, i didnt want to use the coating gels and figured this would be a good thing to try before cutting the tank open to grind away and re finish the tank. The Metal Rescue did a great job!

i would highly recommend this stuff to fix you tank rust.

Hey Pete. As Dustin has shown you, The Metal Rescue is definitely the way to go pal. That stuff is awesome! They have it at Home Depot. Just fill the tank with it and let it sit for a couple of days. That's it! Pour it back into the jug to use again and again. I think it's about $22.00 dollars a gallon but is worth every penny. POR15 is good but Metal Rescue can be used over again.

So with the Metal Rescue do I still need to coat the tank with something? Will not the rust just come back?

I was able to find Kreem at Cycle Gear. $43.00 for the kit.

If I don't need to coat the tank after MR I'll just use that.

Thanks again!

So with the Metal Rescue do I still need to coat the tank with something? Will not the rust just come back?

Thanks again!

There's no coating involved. Once the rust is completely gone, fresh gas will keep it from rusting again. Now that you have the bike, I doubt if you'll be storing it improperly again.

I'll post up photos later today of the funk that came out of the tank. What a mess.

I drained it to install the two new petcocks. The last cup of fuel was 50% rust!!!

No wonder my freshly overhauls carbs were not happy.

I don't believe any gas tank rusts from gas in it. I think they rust when it's not stored properly and the gas breaks down and water forms.

That's my understanding as well. Fresh fuel contains enough rust inhibitor to keep a tank fresh. When it breaks down and starts to attract moisture, that's when the rust starts

Thanks again!

Well Pete as long as your tank doesn't have any tiny weep holes you shouldn't have to coat it once you treat it with the Metal Rescue product. Just don't ever let old gas sit in there for too long!

I don't believe any gas tank rusts from gas in it. I think they rust when it's not stored properly and the gas breaks down and water forms.

I top mine off every single time I come home from a ride right before I get in my neighborhood. ..and I still use stabilizer to help keep moisture out.

Back