Gen 1 Carb Float setting

Hi Guys,

I have been doing some cleaning and o ring replacement on my carbs and needing a bit of clarification regarding the float height setting. The manual says it should be set between 12.5 and 13.5mm form the carb housing to the top of the float when held upside down. I don't know where the float should be sitting in its range of motion to be taking this reading!! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Guys,

I have been doing some cleaning and o ring replacement on my carbs and needing a bit of clarification regarding the float height setting. The manual says it should be set between 12.5 and 13.5mm form the carb housing to the top of the float when held upside down. I don't know where the float should be sitting in its range of motion to be taking this reading!! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

If I remember correctly you hold them at an angle, the same as they sit when on the engine. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's the way.

Isn't that what I said?? You hold them at an angle, no? I would think you'd set the floats at the same angle that they'd be sitting on the engine while operating?
sorry, your post was confusing, the actual carbs angle should be around 170 degrees ccw from operating position (with the floats up )

Setting the float heights is more than just holding the carbs at some random angle.

This is from the Factory Pro website
Float heights, unless otherwise specified in the installation guide, are measured from the "gasket surface" of the carb body to the highest part of the top of the float - with the float tang touching but not compressing the float valve spring.

There is a good example of setting the height HERE

Back