Gen 3 FZ1

I'm not as convinced as you to be so sure about the cross plane crankshaft not showing up in the 2011 FZ1... I know I'm new to this forum but not to Yamaha motorcycles. While I understand what you're saying, I think timing in the market across manufacturers is also critical and might change up the approach from historical trends. I tend to think it is highly probable we can see the cross plane crankshaft due to the fact Honda just released the 2010 VFR1200 and Yamaha wishes to remain competitive in this segment. A combination of that motor and a larger fuel tank (where the VFR falls short) would take a lot of wind out of Honda's sails and that is exactly where Yamaha wants to be. Honda is marketing the VFR as a tourer which is tradition as part of the VFR's lineage, but look closely at what is offered, the self-proclaimed \"Gentleman's Bike\" is nothing but a high priced standard. It does not have the touring accessories to place it on the same level of an FJ or Connie and the dual clutch from true motorcycle enthusiasts is no big deal. As most experienced riders prefer the interaction of rider and machine through manual shifting. The whole debate of whether or not to take away sales from the Yamaha R1 in my view is not as critical as losing folks to another brand like Honda which once crossed over is much harder to pull back. Add in Kawasaki's release of the 2010 Z1000 with many specifications very similar to the FZ1 and Yamaha will be looking for a new angle to refresh and differentiate itself in the marketplace.

The new VFR will be a sales nightmare in every sense of the word.

I think the FZ1 is a Jack of all trades, master of fun kind of bike. I've ridden long distances and on some twisty roads on my cruiser (V star 1300 T, if you're curious) coming away with the solid feeling that I have ridden many twisty miles on a cruiser. I like the handling, riding position and range of my Gen 1 and while I haven't had the opportunity for a long ride on him yet, I suspect that the ride will be both more comfortable and a lot more fun. And I do not want an FJR.

What would make me buy an 11 FZ1?? Bigger tank (like my Gen1) and lower seat (without screwing with the dynamics)...and red.

I love my gen 1 and am having a hard time thinking of what would possibly be my next bike. I don't think it would be another FZ1. It would be nice to see that r1 rotary motor in the next gen FZ1. If it speaks to me like my Baby does, I might reconsider. That engine sounds great!!

I love my gen 1 and am having a hard time thinking of what would possibly be my next bike. I don't think it would be another FZ1. It would be nice to see that r1 rotary motor in the next gen FZ1. If it speaks to me like my Baby does, I might reconsider. That engine sounds great!!

Rotary motor?

Sweet sounds

Rotory, Rotax. You knew what I meant. :)

I might not know the name, but I know the sound. I like that sound. Must be the girl in me, like I bought my bike for the pretty blue color.
I am going to try to attach a "you tube" video of the new "crossplane", R1 engine.
[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpWC0PDhdFo"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpWC0PDhdFo[/ame]

Seems to work, turn up your speakers Wolf Tamer. It might be love.

Why doesn't Yamaha want to sell it's fancy motor to people who don't like riding in a fetal position? Do they see the FZ1 as competition for the R1?

Why try to force people to get a bike they don't really want so they can get the goodies?

Sometimes, industry "conventional wisdom" seems to lack the wisdom part.

FZ1 Gen3 will need to step it up to keep up with its traditional rivals but it isn't a top of the pile bike. Something like the 2nd child where the YZF-R1 is the 1st born. The 2nd child always gets the hand me downs that are too expensive to buy again or are still usable a few years later. Should be interesting to see what they pull out of the parts bin for Gen3 or if they decide to push it more toward the touring segment and sacrifice some more finesse for durability. I hear the crossplane is inherently less durable and may not be conducive to heavier reciprocating internals. Could be smoke and mirrors though.

I'm with Johndaddy on the VFR. It's going to pull buyers from so many segments Honda is going to have to be careful how they market it. Only the 6speed manual will be available for the 1st 6 months! And who's going to trust cylinder deactivation instead of a larger tank? Good for Ironbutts but what about those who need power and range! When is someone going to release a bike with an optional/detachable long range tank in the rear subframe?

Having seen and sat on the VFR, I wouldn't think it to be an FZ1 competitor. Honda is taking a swing at BMW. It's a tourer with talent as CMG online said: "..but it could still hold its own at the back of a fast group.."
4074288203_a10e3dbdcf.jpg

It's long, heavy and uses a lot of gadgetry to hide it's mass and help it fight above its weight. Everybody is talking it up, and they should as it has made a huge technology leap, but it will never be able to transmit the raw information to the rider like the direct feel of an FZ1. But, if you gotta haul ass all day then it's looking to be a fairly handy tool to do it on.
But, we may be seeing the end of an era with the intro of such techno-gadgetry. ABS, traction control, active damping, blah blah blah. Sure, it will save and reward noobs and tired riders but it all seems a bit like eating out of a blender. No texture, no bite and no adrenalin deprivation induced hangover on Monday morning!

If you are thinking VFR then you should be wondering what's cooking in Yammy's FJR workshop. It's getting long in the tooth and about ready to leap frog competitors again.
For the FZ1, let's hope Yammy sees it more feasible to hand down many unmodded bits and pieces to the little brother. Either that or bring on an FZ1-R

I think it looks sweet, but i believe its prob a photo chop of FZ1 and R1. I would highly doubt they would use same exhaust as current FZ1, but then again most of us ditch stock can anyways. I dont need any more power so i would see no reason to run out and get a new Gen3, i am very happy with my 2008!

FZ1 Gen3 will need to step it up to keep up with its traditional rivals but it isn't a top of the pile bike. Something like the 2nd child where the YZF-R1 is the 1st born. The 2nd child always gets the hand me downs that are too expensive to buy again or are still usable a few years later. Should be interesting to see what they pull out of the parts bin for Gen3 or if they decide to push it more toward the touring segment and sacrifice some more finesse for durability. I hear the crossplane is inherently less durable and may not be conducive to heavier reciprocating internals. Could be smoke and mirrors though.

I'm with Johndaddy on the VFR. It's going to pull buyers from so many segments Honda is going to have to be careful how they market it. Only the 6speed manual will be available for the 1st 6 months! And who's going to trust cylinder deactivation instead of a larger tank? Good for Ironbutts but what about those who need power and range! When is someone going to release a bike with an optional/detachable long range tank in the rear subframe?

Having seen and sat on the VFR, I wouldn't think it to be an FZ1 competitor. Honda is taking a swing at BMW. It's a tourer with talent as CMG online said: \"..but it could still hold its own at the back of a fast group..\"
4074288203_a10e3dbdcf.jpg

It's long, heavy and uses a lot of gadgetry to hide it's mass and help it fight above its weight. Everybody is talking it up, and they should as it has made a huge technology leap, but it will never be able to transmit the raw information to the rider like the direct feel of an FZ1. But, if you gotta haul ass all day then it's looking to be a fairly handy tool to do it on.
But, we may be seeing the end of an era with the intro of such techno-gadgetry. ABS, traction control, active damping, blah blah blah. Sure, it will save and reward noobs and tired riders but it all seems a bit like eating out of a blender. No texture, no bite and no adrenalin deprivation induced hangover on Monday morning!

If you are thinking VFR then you should be wondering what's cooking in Yammy's FJR workshop. It's getting long in the tooth and about ready to leap frog competitors again.
For the FZ1, let's hope Yammy sees it more feasible to hand down many unmodded bits and pieces to the little brother. Either that or bring on an FZ1-R

I'm not sure I understand how your post relates to the FZ1. That bike looks like a competitor to the FJR1300, not the FZ1.

I am going to try to attach a \\"you tube\\" video of the new \\"crossplane\\", R1 engine.

Seems to work, turn up your speakers Wolf Tamer. It might be love.

I'll try to remember crossplane. :flash: I think I got it confused with the name for the mazda rx-whatever engine. I'll blame it on lupus brain fog.

I do know the sound and love it. Too much music and talk in the video though, even if it was a great marketing piece to explain the motor.

Ok I agree the Fz1 is a versatile bike. My opinion of the fz1 is not a sport touring bike especially with the gen 2 which has all the sport bike features with upright seating. I basically call the Fz1 \\"The old mans R1\\" Again my opinion. I know alot of people set there bikes up for touring, but that does not make it a sport touring bike. I have loaded down my Suzuki M109 with bags backrest and all but it is still a not a touring motorcycle. I see the argument here but I would love to hear other views from people with Gen 2 FZ1's. Ride safe..

I've tested a whole lot of bikes since this summer, and summa sumarum is that the FZ1 is just another heavy naked bike, like the CB750, only much better.
Compared to the Triumph Speed Triple the FZ1 is like a dinosaur. Heavy, rugged, unpolished. The Speed Triple is something like a 600. Compact, nimble, agile, light, responsive, light again, lighter than the heavy FZ1. It must have something with the centre of gravity being lower down.
So the FZ1 isn't a sports tourer, like a BMW K1300S, or the Triumph Sprint ST, it isn't a supersport, it's a very old concept refined over and over again by ALL japanese manufacturers since the CB750. Even though today we have the XJR1300 from Yamaha, and some other naked retro-looking bikes, the FZ1 is the development of the naked bike to today's demands, but I'm not sure who the target group is. Here in Sweden it's a very popular bike. People here are obsessed with literbikes, and consider sixhundreds to be beginners bikes which you own the first season. Then you move on to an R1, Gixxer, or such. I'm guessing since the insurance for the supersports is astronomical, people with less fat wallets tend to get the FZ1 which is cheaper to ensure, and not that boring after all.

Those of you who wish a crossplane crankshaft, be careful what you wish for, the new R1 is a bitch to ride at low revs, it shakes and coughs, and generally feels like it's breaking down when you're around 1-3000 rpm, which would be in town, slowing down at red lights, splitting lanes in traffic jams.
I'd rather have the "old" 2008 engine instead.

Finally my choice of a new bike fell on the FZ1 because it's a good allrounder. Decent top fairing, short wheelbase, so it's pretty good around town, stable at high speed and good torque so you can cruise a bit on the freeway, etc.

So what I would wish for 2011 is that Yamaha
-shave off 30kg off this bike
-upgrade the instrument cluster with a gear indicator and shift light.
-redo the OEM exhaust with a removable DB-killer and a steel or carbon fiber casing

Last edited:
You are probably drunk.

Speed Triple is only 24 pound lighter than the 1. And mine lost that weight just with the mods.
FZ1 - heavy, unpolished, dinosaur? WTF? Why don't you sell yours then?
speed triple is definitely good but ask JonDaddy82 here and he sells triumphs and they have a lot of issues.

With few $$ in mods you can make the FZ1 perform better than the R1 in the midrange and much cheap to insure.

I've tested a whole lot of bikes since this summer, and summa sumarum is that the FZ1 is just another heavy naked bike, like the CB750, only much better.
Compared to the Triumph Speed Triple the FZ1 is like a dinosaur. Heavy, rugged, unpolished. The Speed Triple is something like a 600. Compact, nimble, agile, light, responsive, light again, lighter than the heavy FZ1. It must have something with the centre of gravity being lower down.
So the FZ1 isn't a sports tourer, like a BMW K1300S, or the Triumph Sprint ST, it isn't a supersport, it's a very old concept refined over and over again by ALL japanese manufacturers since the CB750. Even though today we have the XJR1300 from Yamaha, and some other naked retro-looking bikes, the FZ1 is the development of the naked bike to today's demands, but I'm not sure who the target group is. Here in Sweden it's a very popular bike. People here are obsessed with literbikes, and consider sixhundreds to be beginners bikes which you own the first season. Then you move on to an R1, Gixxer, or such. I'm guessing since the insurance for the supersports is astronomical, people with less fat wallets tend to get the FZ1 which is cheaper to ensure, and not that boring after all.

Those of you who wish a crossplane crankshaft, be careful what you wish for, the new R1 is a bitch to ride at low revs, it shakes and coughs, and generally feels like it's breaking down when you're around 1-3000 rpm, which would be in town, slowing down at red lights, splitting lanes in traffic jams.
I'd rather have the \\"old\\" 2008 engine instead.

Finally my choice of a new bike fell on the FZ1 because it's a good allrounder. Decent top fairing, short wheelbase, so it's pretty good around town, stable at high speed and good torque so you can cruise a bit on the freeway, etc.

Last edited:
You are probably drunk.

Speed Triple is only 24 pound lighter than the 1. And mine lost that weight just with the mods.
speed triple is definitely good but ask JonDaddy82 here and he sells triumphs and they have a lot of issues.

With few $$ in mods you can make the FZ1 perform better than the R1 in the midrange and much cheap to insure.

haha actually I am a bit drunk :p
I like my FZ1, and I hope that removing some extra weight will do the trick. I like it a lot more than the Speed Triple, that's why I bought it. The Speed was an excellent hooligan/town/backroads package but the FZ1 does it all, with 5 years warranty.

Actually it's not a random comparison. I found the Speed Triple to be a good alternative to the FZ1-N, the naked version. It has some minuses from my point of view, such as the quality feel is less than of the Yamaha, the feel of the gear lever is strange, and you don't feel when you've hit first or 6th gear, like a "stop". On the other hand, it's not clonky as the Yamaha gearboxes. The passenger seat is inexistent, passenger handles cost extra, the instrument cluster vibrates too much, and the power delivery is TOO linear. You hit 180 km/h on a naked bike, and don't even realize it because it was so smooth and non-dramatic.
I think if Triumph slap a couple of half-fairings on the Speed, give it a longer saddle and some handles (maybe ABS also) it would definately be the FZ-s closest competitor, even though its warranty is less - but so is the price right now.

Actually it's not a random comparison. I found the Speed Triple to be a good alternative to the FZ1-N, the naked version. It has some minuses from my point of view, such as the quality feel is less than of the Yamaha, the feel of the gear lever is strange, and you don't feel when you've hit first or 6th gear, like a \\\"stop\\\". On the other hand, it's not clonky as the Yamaha gearboxes. The passenger seat is inexistent, passenger handles cost extra, the instrument cluster vibrates too much, and the power delivery is TOO linear. You hit 180 km/h on a naked bike, and don't even realize it because it was so smooth and non-dramatic.
I think if Triumph slap a couple of half-fairings on the Speed, give it a longer saddle and some handles (maybe ABS also) it would definately be the FZ-s closest competitor, even though its warranty is less - but so is the price right now.

That is the Sprint ST for you, my man :shine:

It was my other choice than the FZ1 but the FZ1 was way too cost effective and more powerful for the money. Only Yamaha has 26K valve checks and those are expensive in tune of $400-700. On others they are like every 12K

Last edited:
That is the Sprint ST for you, my man :shine:

It was my other choice than the FZ1 but the FZ1 was way too cost effective and more powerful for the money. Only Yamaha has 26K valve checks and those are expensive in tune of $400-700. On others they are like every 12K

Haha, yes, the ST is a nice bike. A bit heavier than the FZ tho, and as you say, less cost effective, less powerful. Since I was looking for something with a bit of fairing, I also had the ST on my list.

You are probably drunk.

CrazyBiker I have to admit it felt a lot less heavy and sluggish after I put the right pressure in the tyres, 2,5/2,9 Bar instead of what it was when I took it home, 1,5/1,9 Bar.
What a noob ...

Like a duc

Went to the 09 bike show and I would like to see it go toward the Ducati Streetfighter myself. In the sense of less weight better power. A naked R1 higher handlebars works for me. Bike is due for an update, lets hope it has the same qualities that made the first one so fun, ALL around versatility with sick power for us crazy old guys.

Back