Givi cases install

ecruz

Anyone know roughly how long it will take to install Givi side & tail cases?

Anything special I need to know before starting?

Thanks

SW Motech racks

I used SW Motech racks, and particular the quickly removable version. The process took a couple of hours to do and was pretty simple except that one of the racks was not quite straight. That is, when everything was all secure and ready for the bags, they wouldn't mount up due to misalignments of the racks. I struggled for hours trying to figure out what I'd done wrongly and what was amiss. Finally, I called the vendor and told them of my problem and was sent a new left side rack. It went on easily and everything now works great. Unusual for SW Motech to make a bad part, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. I recommend them very much. I've ridden the bike fully bagged up to the track, taken everything off in just a few minutes, and then taken to the track in search of R1 guys to embarrass! Good luck.

I have the Givi quick release racks. Yes I saw that the whole tail needs to be removed. Doesn't look like a huge job. Anything special I need to know about that? Which mount needs to me filed?

I have the quick release mounts as well. Nothing tricky about removing the tail. Other thing that you will need to to is cut the bottom of the tail piece to allow the mounts to pass through (it's the black piece just above the tire). It's an easy enough job as the inside of it will have a tracing of the piece that you need to cut off. With my Dremel it was a 10 minute job tops. As for filing...I didn't have to. I have heard of others having to do it because of welding beads that were in the way. I guess your results may vary...

I had to do some filing on the two pieces that slide into the end of the frame. The inside of the frame tubes have a lot of extra weld inside. Not a big deal, 15 - 20 minutes or so.

Someone posted pics a while ago (maybe OLDSCHOOL?).

Good Luck,

MrHix

I had to do some filing on the two pieces that slide into the end of the frame. The inside of the frame tubes have a lot of extra weld inside. Not a big deal, 15 - 20 minutes or so.

Someone posted pics a while ago (maybe OLDSCHOOL?).

Good Luck,

MrHix

Yep that was me. Keep a hand file or dremel handy as others have said and it will be no big deal. I was able to remove my tail piece in 1 piece with some careful shifting (after removing the undertail plate. I found that there were actually scribe lines on the inside surface where you need to make the cut outs. I will post a link to some pictures in a minute.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/9748-gen-ii-photo-reference-detail-project.html#post53917

Last edited:
I figured out the best way to remove the tail is to remove one of the side pods by lifting the tail up as much as you can. Otherwise I hate all the interior plastic scratching and the tabs flexing and perhaps snapping.

Installed them today. Plastics came off & went on ok. I did have to file down the two pieces that fit into the frame. The pain was the wiring, turn signals and a bracket that mounts behind the license plate light. The threads on the bracket had powdercoat or paint or whatever inside them, had to run to the hardware store & get a tap. The turn signal mounts were just miserable. I swear I spent 45 minutes just trying to get them on to the bracket. Then there was nowhere to run the turn signal wiring. I had to drill a couple of holes in the fender extender and run them thru there.

I can't even imagine what an engineering job it must be to come up with mounts, brackets, etc, to make those cases fit dozens of different bikes. But man, there's definitely still room for improvement.

I really didn't have too much trouble mounting the turn signals or running the wires back to the connectors. Only thing that I had to do was extend the wires a few inches on either side the way I ran them.

I really didn't have too much trouble mounting the turn signals or running the wires back to the connectors. Only thing that I had to do was extend the wires a few inches on either side the way I ran them.

Not sure when you did yours, but the turn signal mount that came with my kit are completely different than the one shown in the PDF on Givi's website. Maybe that had something to do with it. Or maybe I'm just mechanically un-inclined. :)

Either way, they look really nice!

Show off your latest endeavor!

Here you go.

I also bought the V46 top case. But I'll only mount that when we're going on a trip. The side cases are for day to day use.

DSCN0651.jpg

DSCN0650.jpg

Not sure when you did yours, but the turn signal mount that came with my kit are completely different than the one shown in the PDF on Givi's website. Maybe that had something to do with it. Or maybe I'm just mechanically un-inclined. :)

Either way, they look really nice!

Post up a pic of the racks w/o the cases on them...more specifically of the back by the turn signals so that I can compare to mine.

I got motivated and installed the top case too, just to see what it would look like and how difficult it would be. It was super easy!

DSCN0654.jpg

Back