Givi PLXR359 Pics

MrHix

Hi,

I have been searching for pictures of the Givi quick release side case mounts on a real live bike. I would like to see the racks on with no bags (side & back) and the racks off with just the mounting hardware (side & back).

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Cheers,

MrHix

mazze,

Your mounting racks seem to be held together in the back with a welded cross piece that is held to the taillight bracket. What year did you buy it? The current one shows a crossbar that bolts to the taillight bracket and moves the turn signals. It stays on the bike when the racks are removed. Of course, the instructions for the Givi PLXR359 has pictures of the wrong bike and the wrong rack and no quick release buttons.

http://www.giviusa.com/attachfile/content/prodotti_regionali_usa_com/37779/0.0.1.man_plxr359.pdf

Oh well, I guess I will find out after I buy the kit.

Thanks again,

MrHix

mazze,

Your mounting racks seem to be held together in the back with a welded cross piece that is held to the taillight bracket. What year did you buy it? The current one shows a crossbar that bolts to the taillight bracket and moves the turn signals. It stays on the bike when the racks are removed. Of course, the instructions for the Givi PLXR359 has pictures of the wrong bike and the wrong rack and no quick release buttons.

http://www.giviusa.com/attachfile/content/prodotti_regionali_usa_com/37779/0.0.1.man_plxr359.pdf

Thanks again,

MrHix

I see what you mean when you compare Mazze's set up to the instructtion PDF file from Givi USA. Sometimes there are differences in the racks as the developement continues over time. Either way the rear cross bracket is only there to keep the bags from moving side to side. The mount point under the seat gives the rack and bags the strength. The footpeg mount gives the bag system stability. I have the "old system" were the rack is a bit more work to remove. Since putting on the bags I never, (or rarely) ride without them. They are just so usefull that they stay on. This makes the rack removal a moot point.

Something to note though, if the rack does have the cross peice that attaches to the tail(fender) be sure to use blue locktite on the 4 bolts under the seat that secure the fender or the vibration (over time) will work them loose!

Last edited:
mazze,

Thanks again,

MrHix

That is just a quick release bolt that holds the two parts together. There is no connection to the tail section.

I bought the rack last month. The online instructions show a different version, but the ones included are ok.

Oldschool,

Thanks for the note on loctite.

I actually think I would like the welded cross piece better, the new system uses the sliding lock system on the rear cross piece, so I think it would be a hassle if I put a tucked in taillight. The cross piece would have to be locked in somehow. I'm sure I can figure something out with my 3 necessary motorcycle tools: BF hammer, 12" straight bit screwdriver, and a pipr wrench.

Cheers,

MrHix

Givi Rack

Oldschool,

Thanks for the note on loctite.

I actually think I would like the welded cross piece better, the new system uses the sliding lock system on the rear cross piece, so I think it would be a hassle if I put a tucked in taillight. The cross piece would have to be locked in somehow. I'm sure I can figure something out with my 3 necessary motorcycle tools: BF hammer, 12" straight bit screwdriver, and a pipr wrench.

Cheers,

MrHix

Another great thing for motorcycle modification that should always be kept handy. A friend that has a welder and a nack for fabrication. I am lucky having access to a fully equipped truck maintenance shop with all the goodies, Sandblaster, welder, plasma cutters, etc.

I am sure that you will be happy with the Givi products. Other than somewhat lacking instruction sheets they are first rate. Easy enough to modify the rack too if you need. Wether I am commuting or just out for a ride I keep the bags on just about all the time. You get spoiled be able to lock up your helmet, pick up groceries or take the big camera along, whatever. Even at well above legal speeds you don't even notice them, they are so solid.

Attachments

• Givilights2.jpg
    Givilights2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Welding is one area I wish I had gotten into. Luckily, there is a shop down the road that does good work for a resonable price.

I like the Givi E340 top case and mount system I have now. I think their quick release side case rack and V35 cases will be great for overnight trips (like to the MotoGP in Indy this year!!!). I got spoiled a little by the ST1300 I had with the Honda top case.

Cheers for the holidays,

MrHix

The rack is not connected to the tail section. The left and right parts are joined with one quick release bolt as you can see on the fourth picture.

I have posted this information on a previous post but I got a message saying that a moderator would review my post before publishing it.

One question... Would my wife be more comfortable in those bags or on the back seat? I think they may be big enough for her and a small LCD tele and A/C unit.

Brad,

Not sure the bike's electrics can handle the AC, but a fan would work!

Mazze, thanks for the clarification. It looked like the quick release might have been thru the tail piece.

Cheers,

MrHix

Ahhhh, diggin' up old posts....

Is there any way to mount the Givi (or other) side racks and still keep the fender eliminator in place??

You would need a crossbrace between the two sides of the rack to keep the bags from moving side to side. If the two sides are not braced the main brackets would eventually fail from the constant movement.
Other than that it should be no problem. Maybe Tony has some close up pictures of the quick release set up. I have seen pictures of the Givi brackets (like mine) on a Silver FZ (gen II) that had a fender eliminator. You also would have to consider where the rear signals would be placed to remain visible with the bags in place.

Last edited:
No worries on the signals, as I have integrated brake/signals.

Just wondering how that cross bracing will attach without the stock fender

If you look at the picture in my previous post (a member on the other Forum) you will see a small "C" shaped metal bracket that he used to attach the 2 sides together. A simple easy solution, that would use the supplied rack hardware. It is just a piece of steel bent and drilled to take the place of the metal under the stock tail.

Side note: you can see by the photo how not having the rear fender adds to road spray. Ugly or not the stock tail/fender works.

Side note: you can see by the photo how not having the rear fender adds to road spray. Ugly or not the stock tail/fender works.

That's why my tail/fender will stay in place. I agree it looks better with out it, but it also looks better with out the road spray (not to mention my back or passenger).

I also think the bike looks better with out a back rest or luggage, but the function out weighs the slight decrease in astestics. After I get my Corbin back rest (can't decide on the 'glove box' to go with it or not), I'm looking at the Givi bags. I wish there was a way to attach them without having the brackets left on when the bags are not attached. I don't think I'll use the bags often, but when you need them, you need them. Does the Ninja 1000 have a way to attach them with out the leftover brackets? (since they are considered a Kawasaki accessory)

OFF TOPIC - I did get to sit on a Ninja 1000 yesterday, and I am impressed. I hope when Yamaha makes the Gen III FZ1, they add bags as an easier option. There are several cues Yamaha should take from the Ninja 1000, better bike or not.

Last edited:
If you get the SW Motech racks for the Givi's they already have the bracket across the rear and you can have a fender eliminator in place. I'll post a pic later if you want me to.

Back