god i hate this shifter

^^^ Don't take this wrong, but do you have much riding experience? I've never heard of anyone "cruising in neutral" on a bike.

I can't imagine even trying to find neutral while moving, why would you want to do that?

oops

^^^ Don't take this wrong, but do you have much riding experience? I've never heard of anyone \\"cruising in neutral\\" on a bike.

I can't imagine even trying to find neutral while moving, why would you want to do that?

I found neutral(when I wasn't looking for it) while racing my RZ 350 against a GSXR 750. I was kicking his ass right up until then. Back in my :squid[1]: days. I know I wasn't happy about finding neutral while moving.

Last edited:
^^^ Don't take this wrong, but do you have much riding experience? I've never heard of anyone \"cruising in neutral\" on a bike.

Well I'd have to say no, my experience is limited. I rode a 125 as a teenager, and then it was all about revving the crap out of it in every gear, and at all times. Now, after a 15 year long break I started riding again this spring and I'm rediscovering some of the tricks I forgot. I'm not cruising in neutral any more, and don't have the clutch engaged for longer than it takes to change gear either, I just did that the first week.

I found neutral(when I wasn't looking for it) while racing my RZ 350 against a GSXR 750. I was kicking his ass right up until then. Back in my :squid[1]: days. I know I wasn't happy about finding neutral while moving.

I spoke to some Yamaha Scandinavia employees who travelled around with the Yamaha Road Show, and they said You can find neutral between every gear, just like on a car, and that I shouldn't be gentle on the shifter so that doesn't happen.

True

I spoke to some Yamaha Scandinavia employees who travelled around with the Yamaha Road Show, and they said You can find neutral between every gear, just like on a car, and that I shouldn't be gentle on the shifter so that doesn't happen.

All shifter inputs should always be firm but not abusive. Too gently a nudge can result in "false neutral". Annoying, embarrasing, and in the wrong situation catastrophic(to the rider).

this problem definitely seems like lack of experience. after a while youll downshift when you brake automatically. i also wonder if the person whose other bikes would downshift fine at a stop is because the other bikes were v twin cruisers? different characteristics?

this problem definitely seems like lack of experience. after a while youll downshift when you brake automatically. i also wonder if the person whose other bikes would downshift fine at a stop is because the other bikes were v twin cruisers? different characteristics?

Yep, I'm downshifting the right way now, and I don't have any more problems. I'd agree that it could have something to do with experience. I've only owned a 125 before, and that was ages ago, can't remember what the gearbox was like

I know this is a tad off subject but my '06 sounds like a Harley (Kerr-plunk!) when I shift into first or second (from neutral). There are rare times when it doesn't do this but 98% of the time it does. Even my dad commented that it sounded like an old Harley he used to have in the '50s. The Yam shop where I bought it (used) said they had just serviced it before I bought it. Maybe my next oil change (at 6,500mi) will help. Also, this is the only time it is notchy.

PS: I've had 16 bikes since I was 4-yrs-old and never had one with such a hard clunk going into gear. It's also only my second Yamaha. Is that the nature of this beast? Surely not.

Weasel my '06 clunks pretty good going into first gear also. One thing I have noticed is that if I hold the clutch it for a few seconds longer the clunk is not as noticeable. It shifts fine otherwise so I am not going to worry about it.

Weasel my '06 clunks pretty good going into first gear also. One thing I have noticed is that if I hold the clutch it for a few seconds longer the clunk is not as noticeable. It shifts fine otherwise so I am not going to worry about it.

Yes, holding in the clutch for just a second or so before shifting into first will eliminate the clank. Another member here or on the FZ6 site explained this really well; something about letting the clutch or gears spin down. I don't know engines. I do know this: Austin Powers will die! Nya Ha Ha...

:+1: I've owned many bikes through the years, Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, and all are like this, including the FZ1.

If you roll to a stop and forgot to downshift along the way, you can't just shift multiple gears down while stopped. You have to slightly engage the clutch between each gear. PITA, but that's normal. If you had a bike that didn't need that, then it was NOT normal actually.

Hmm..interesting, so my bike has a problem according , to this. I can shift down any number of gears, with one single pull of the clutch lever. What would be the source of this then? Have a crancing noise when pulling away too, recently topped up the engine oil, then it was gone for a few days bit it's back on again. I'll drop the oil as a first solution with 5w40 and see from there. I was also thinking that while the oil is out I'll check the clutch out to see the thickness of the friction plates, clutch plates and the bolts.. good idea in the opinion of yours, guys?

The FZ1 has a close ratio transmission, which means that the lower gears such as 1st, are turning slowly at slow speeds, and not able to mesh so easily. Therefore you should downshift at higher speeds than on other bikes. I have found that as you approach a stop sign, start downshifting at about 30 MPH, make each downshift with authority, and then release pressure on the shifter. Proceed to the next gear, etc. The last downshift into 1st gear should be done at no slower than about 15 MPH. If you wait until 5 MPH, then you will experience the problem you described.

At that point you have to ease out on the clutch lever, downshift, ease out again, downshift, etc. until in first.

Get in the habit of downshifting earlier, and I believe the problem will disappear.

My years of experience driving a truck has me instinctively downshifting as part of braking. Every time you stop, while braking downshift and slowly let out of the clutch and let the engine do some of the braking. will get to be second nature even in emergency stops. As far as oil, mine shifted alot smoother with royal purple max cycle, just expensive. Running rotella in it now and seems to do pretty good.

Last edited:
it works better that way. And then you shouldn't have too thin oil. I found out (subjective opinion) that the gearbox works better with cheaper oil. I now use 10w40 semi-synthetic and change at 5-6000 km. If I run ANY oil for longer, I start noticing harsher changes

The FZ1 has a close ratio transmission, which means that the lower gears such as 1st, are turning slowly at slow speeds, and not able to mesh so easily. Therefore you should downshift at higher speeds than on other bikes. I have found that as you approach a stop sign, start downshifting at about 30 MPH, make each downshift with authority, and then release pressure on the shifter. Proceed to the next gear, etc. The last downshift into 1st gear should be done at no slower than about 15 MPH. If you wait until 5 MPH, then you will experience the problem you described.

At that point you have to ease out on the clutch lever, downshift, ease out again, downshift, etc. until in first.

Get in the habit of downshifting earlier, and I believe the problem will disappear.

I have no problems downshifting multiple gears with only 1 pull of the clutch when slowing down at a red light etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Last edited:
Just a note about aftermarket adjustable clutch levers........ if adjusted to close to the bars they often don't have enough stroke to fully disengage the clutch.
I found that I could only use the 2 farthest adjustments with both CRG and some cheap ones, if I wanted correct free-play and enough stroke to fully disengage the clutch . Those levers just don't allow enough stroke when set to close to the bars.

That said, my FZ1 is not one of the better shifting bikes I've owned and I've owned plenty. :)

I've tried a few different oils and adjusted/lubed the linkage with some improvement and I'm sure to be careful about clutch adjustment but she's still not the best.

Doing the " washer mod " to solid mount the footpegs helped quite a bit.

From day one I noticed its hard to adjust free-play at the clutch lever on this bike. Has a very narrow range of correct free-play vs clutch drag.

( I suspect the stack height is barely in spec )

The shifting is not really a problem on my bike I've just ridden much better. Usually it will down shift multiple gears without issue and when it doesn't a quick pump of the clutch lever seems to free things up.

Final thought ... Yamaha s and Kawasaki have not been the best shifting bikes I've owned. Suzuki and Honda have always been better .
( the bikes I've owned/ridden )

Hate to tell you but this on is on you, not the bike. You simply need to remember to down shift before you come to a stop. Or you can stomp the shifter down and gently release the clutch part way and the bike will shift down. Repeat until you find neutral or whatever gear you are looking for.

+1 on this too. I had number of bikes and they were all the same.

Back