GoPro Gyro Mount

K.I.S.S., just how I like it!

does it have "some" resistance to rotation? so it doesn't go into a swing

guess you'll be able to fine tune it better after a couple test runs!

can't wait to see this, def. something anyone could do with a little bit of spare time and supplies.

K.I.S.S., just how I like it!

does it have "some" resistance to rotation? so it doesn't go into a swing

guess you'll be able to fine tune it better after a couple test runs!

can't wait to see this, def. something anyone could do with a little bit of spare time and supplies.

I've been thinking about that myself. I have just enough tension on the locking nut to slow down that "pendulum effect" but as you said, I'll have to get it on the bike for an intial test run to actually see how it will behave. Yes! test runs are in order! It sucks that I have a job right now! Haha! For what it cost me, which is close to nothing, I figure I just have time to lose. I'm sure that someone will perfect the electronic Gyro pretty darn soon. I have seen about three videos on Youtube which I'll post here for you guys to see. It actually works pretty cool but because your relying on the Servo Shaft to hold the platform and camera, there is still some shakiness in the video. Someone smarter than me will figure it out soon enough.

I think that with your current design, if you get too much swing on your test run, you can drill a hole in your aluminum that the camera is mounted on, on the opposite side. tap it for 1/4-20 threads, and hang a lead weight on the bottom.

That would flip your camera up to the top side, and I think a bit of weight on it would reduce back and forth swing... you might need to put a brace across the bottom of the setup though, where the GoPro mount hooks up to your uprights, just to make sure it doesn't begin to droop with that added weight.

I think you've got a really good start, and I can't wait to see the results of your testing. You managed to keep it very simple, and if there is any problem, it'll likely be very easy to make a fix as I said above.

I think that with your current design, if you get too much swing on your test run, you can drill a hole in your aluminum that the camera is mounted on, on the opposite side. tap it for 1/4-20 threads, and hang a lead weight on the bottom.

That would flip your camera up to the top side, and I think a bit of weight on it would reduce back and forth swing... you might need to put a brace across the bottom of the setup though, where the GoPro mount hooks up to your uprights, just to make sure it doesn't begin to droop with that added weight.

I think you've got a really good start, and I can't wait to see the results of your testing. You managed to keep it very simple, and if there is any problem, it'll likely be very easy to make a fix as I said above.

Now thats a good idea, using a counter weight underneath the camera Aaron. Maybe I could just use a form of "stick-on" type. I would think it would only need a few ounces since the camera is pretty heavy.

Nice! Harbour Freight has stick on wheel weights if one of those is near and your going to need a bunch. I think it will do OK on smooth roads once you get the counter-weight figured out. Most of the roads I get to ride are very bumpy as seen in my videos.

Nice! Harbour Freight has stick on wheel weights if one of those is near and your going to need a bunch. I think it will do OK on smooth roads once you get the counter-weight figured out. Most of the roads I get to ride are very bumpy as seen in my videos.

That's right Mike. I've seen all your vids and I don't think this unit would hold up to that kind of road. I'm gonna check it out on the mountain where it's nice and smooth, at least for a first test. I'll post it tomorrow when I get back, stay tuned!!

That's right Mike. I've seen all your vids and I don't think this unit would hold up to that kind of road. I'm gonna check it out on the mountain where it's nice and smooth, at least for a first test. I'll post it tomorrow when I get back, stay tuned!!

:popcorn:

standing by. :D

Okay! What you have been waiting patiently for. After meeting up with Johnny On The Rocks up on Bear Mountain, and hanging out with him until a few of the "Honda Hawk" riders showed up, I headed down to run the first test on the mount.

After getting home and checking out the raw video, the first thing I noticed was that the motion was pretty "fluid" to say the least. The only problem that arose was this "clicking" noise. It wound up coming from the brass bushing. I had the lock nut just a bit too loose. The bad part about testing is that you don't know what you have until you come home and upload. I'm sending Richie to the local Hobby Store to pick me up two "sealed bearings" to use instead of the flat washers. This way I can tighten the free play out of the unit, yet still allow it to move freely..........I think.

Anyhow, here is the first of what I'm sure will be many tests to get it where I want it to be. Please ignore the clicking noise and my fat a$$!

Last edited:
Okay. I fixed the video issue. Tomorrow I'll have my son go and pick me up the sealed ball bearings to swap out the flat washers with. I should be able to get rid of the annoying clicking from the bushing with them.

Anyway, here is the first test. Keep in mind that here in NY we don't have insane twisty roads to get serious lean angles on but you get the idea.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPLvCd3FX4A]GoPro Gyro Test #1 - YouTube[/ame]

Back