Greetings!

Hello All,

I'm a k-8 teacher, former 20-year USMC spouse, and mother of two incredible sons. I bought a 2008 FZ1 on Monday, but I have no experience at all with Yamahas. I began riding 10 years ago, when I couldn't afford to put gas in my car to get to work. I bought a 15-year-old Suzuki 550 online; had it delivered to a nearby abandoned Army parade field; and taught myself to ride it. Later, I realized that riding was fun, as well as practical. I've been riding ever since.

A spinal surgery put a damper on my riding activities for awhile, since I was too weak afterwards to handle my sport cruiser. My new FZ1 is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the Honda, so I hope to be happily back in the saddle by this weekend. I'm planning several mods to my FZ1, and came here for assistance from the experts. I hope you won't mind helping me with your suggestions and recommendations. Thanks for your help and your hints.

Last edited:
Hi there, welcome, (unless I'm mistaken) to you as the first female FZ1-Forum member.

Great choice of bike and might I add, you really honour your nickname ("Last edited by Geekteach; Today at 08:35 AM.. Reason: grammar")

:justkidding:

Last edited:
Hi there, welcome, (unless I'm mistaken) to you as the first female FZ1-Forum member.

Great choice of bike and might I add, you really honour your nickname (\"Last edited by Geekteach; Today at 08:35 AM.. Reason: grammar\")

:justkidding:

LOL!! Sorry about that ...occupational hazard. It's hard to believe I'm the first female here. Surely, there's someone out there who can say it ain't so!

Double welcome to the clan. I don't know about being the spouse of a "Jarhead", but if you can put up with the kids in the 5-13 year old area, you must have more nads than most of us. I'm married to a retired 3rd grade teacher and I know what you teachers go through. We're happy to have you aboard. Maybe you can give us a few tips on life.

Welcome Teach, Great to have you aboard! Congrats on the new bike. Your going to love it as we all do. It's nice to see you found the joy of riding out of necessity as I did. The gas prices are beginning to once again soar into that $3.00 dollar range here in NY, just in time for summer of course, but It's still under 20 bucks to fill up the tank. I just park the car and enjoy the ride. Post some pics when you can and feel free to enter your ride in "Bike of the Month". The name here is Billy and I reside in New York. Welcome again!

Welcome Teach and congrats on the new bike! Please let Hubby know that I thank him for his service!

Any questions you have, please feel free to ask them. We will do our best to answer or point you to one. :D

Welcome to the forum! You couldn't of made a better choice, in my opinion, by coming to the FZ1 family. Enjoy the riding this summer!

As for the first female -- jsteinb95 holds that title, but you are the FIRST female FZ1 owner!

BroHay

Last edited:
:thewave:
Welcome! I'm new to FZ1's myself, but not to Yamaha. I cut my riding teeth on a Yama DT1 Enduro and an R5 two-stroke streetbike. In the '80s' I owned a Yama 550 Vision (which I loved, regardless of what some say) . All to say, I've never been disappointed with a Yamaha. Happy riding.:sport12:

I have an 08 FZ1 as well. I'm also a newbie to the site and am looking to learn from the rest of the FZ1 owners out there as well. I'm also a chiropractor and have seen all too often the woes and recovery of going through spinal surgery. I would like to welcome you here. Everyone in here is extremely helpful. All you have to do is ask, and you should have an answer the same day. If not within an hour or so.

Back