Grip puppies?

I tried and liked them, but don't currently use them, although they are the quickest fix for lessening the vibration of the bars.

Another good thing to try for CHEAP is to fill your bar with metal BBs. I was skeptical at first but it made a world of difference for my FZ6.

Also, the grip puppies increase the size of your grips (like a steering wheel cover on a car) so consider that also. That being said, lots of people swear by them so it's worth a shot!

definately get a pair
best 10$ accessory there is
trim about an 1/2 inch off, heat the gp with
a hair dryer and lube with dish soap
the throttle side is a little tougher to go on

I haven't tried the bb thing yet so I need to ask, how does it get by the bar end threads etc...did you try it with the OEM bars?
Sorry for the thread jack

Last edited:
I've had a lot of success filling the handle bar with fine dry sand & plugging it 2.5 inch deep with plastic plugs to accommodate the bar end, vibration is not the issue with me, the stock grips are too thin for my hand or maybe the stock handle bar puts my wrists in a little awkward position, I ordered superbike bar to experiment with. I only had the bike ~ two weeks so still getting use to it, I definitely like the bike & its potential.

Bone stock bars and there's no vibration on mine. I've never experienced the vibes or any buzzing in this bike at all. She runs smoothly and rock solid.

You could make a solid pass over the bike with torque wrenches and make sure every bolt you can possibly reach is tightened to spec. Back them out a bit then tighten to specs. Maybe there's parts that are a tad loose?

I don't have grip puppies now but I had them on my FZ6. They were OK but even with big hands, I thought they were just too bulky. I'd go with some sort of gel grips and replace the stock grips. Also try some heavier bar ends.

I have the grip puppies and wouldn't be without them. IVibration isn't the issue for me, it's grip size. I find them much more comfortable when wearing thick winter gloves, and, in general, just more comfortable. The open cell foam does leave a mark on my gloves. I think next time I get them I will try to invert them so that smooth side is out. Dunno if you can do this, but I'd like to try it.

They are pissers to get on, though. I haven't found a good technique. Just wrestle the bastards into submission. I think I would install new grips next time and install the grips with "puppies" on them.

Received the grip puppies in the mail, coated the inside with dish soap, slid them on the stock grips took may be 2 mins, exactly the thickness & extra padding I needed, I don't think a replacement gel grip will give that level of comfort & padding, its not too thick on stock grips, I still have discomfort with the stock handle bars, makes my forearm muscles work extra hard & my wrists in slightly off position, I purchased a superbike handle bar which has less rise & pullback vs stock, will be putting it on very soon & will take photos of it vs the stock bar.
the puppies reduced vibration by at least 15% conservative, the brake & clutch levers create a lot of vibration.

planning on filling the new handle bar with fine dry sand to further reduce vibration & buzzing, I did that with my vmax when I installed the superbike bar on it & it does take off ~ 25% off general vibration.
all in all I am very happy with the puppies & they are staying on.

Foam grips

Have you thought of fitting foam grips? They are shaped, thinner on either end than the grip puppies and you might find them more comfortable?

Have you thought of fitting foam grips? They are shaped, thinner on either end than the grip puppies and you might find them more comfortable?

its my first day with the puppies so my fist impression could change but for now I think they are good, I am now doing the handle bar replacement, will see if that make it comfortable as it did with my vmax or not.
I like mods that are completely reversible.

Back