Gutted crack in weld on frame

All you FZ1 owners i would inspect every weld on the frame. I don't want you all to get paranoid but better to be safe than sorry !!!. I only noticed the crack after doing a trackday, if my frame had of collapsed on track i would have been seriously hurt and may have hurt other riders around me !!!. I don't even trust a replacement frame from Yamaha Japan, i would rather have the frame inspected and every weld rewelded if necessary for my peace of mind.

Buildercher should do what he is comfortable with. One issue I always try to confirm is, whoever does the fix, will the frame then be warranted by anyone?
I hope it turns out well.

All you FZ1 owners i would inspect every weld on the frame. I don't want you all to get paranoid but better to be safe than sorry !!!. I only noticed the crack after doing a trackday, if my frame had of collapsed on track i would have been seriously hurt and may have hurt other riders around me !!!. I don't even trust a replacement frame from Yamaha Japan, i would rather have the frame inspected and every weld rewelded if necessary for my peace of mind.

Hows the repair going? any updates?

Frame is repaired, the bike shop will be putting the motor, bits & bobs on in the next few days. Hopefully by the weekend i may have my bike back after 3 months. Personally i haven't seen the frame repair yet. However, the mechanic says the frame look better than new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buildercher should do what he is comfortable with. One issue I always try to confirm is, whoever does the fix, will the frame then be warranted by anyone?
I hope it turns out well.

Yes the frame repair comes with a warranty. Thanks

Frame is repaired, the bike shop will be putting the motor, bits & bobs on in the next few days. Hopefully by the weekend i may have my bike back after 3 months. Personally i haven't deen the frame repair yet. However, the mechanic says the frame look better than new.

Good, same color or did you do something custom

Does anybody have such reports regarding the FZ1 Gen 1 steel frame?
The reason I ask this is because of the different material but much compact frame of FZ1 Gen 1.

The reason I ask this is because of the different material but much compact frame of FZ1 Gen 1.

No, never heard of Gen I frames having a cracking issue. Gen I frames were steel as opposed to aluminum so the welds are more forgiving.

Frame has been powdercoated black. A buddy of mine stopped in at the Mechanics today to see the bike. The motor is in the frame, he say's, the frame looks good and can't even tell it has been repaired. Hopefully, i will have the bike back before the weekend, i will keep everyone posted with pics. Cheers

The mild steel of the Gen 1 bikes simply rust. As Neil Young once said, "Rust never sleeps."

Have you seen a steel rusted frame on Gen 1 and do you have any pics of such?
Because I have seen a lot Gen 1 frames and none was rusty, except for those that were cut, modified and not properly primed.

My bike is back, as you can see the weld is thicker than stock. You cant tell it has been repaired & painted. Ive also added a few nice goodies= Mivv Gibili exhaust & Rizoma rearsets. Happy days...

Next on the list of things to do= R1 front-end. Will post a thread when installed..

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike is back, as you can see the weld is thicker than stock. You cant tell it has been repaired & painted. Ive also added a few nice goodies= Mivv Gibili exhaust & Rizoma rearsets. Happy days...

A few photos..

When i had welding done to my car they put a box thing on the battery to make sure nothing got fried.

Make sure your welder knows to disconnect the electronics before he uses the frame as ground. Disconnect everything from ground that is electronic.

Back