Had an off!

Absolutely gutted!

Turning left at a roundabout and down I went. Can't have have been doing more than 25.

Was on brand new tyres, but wasn't pushing it. Think I hit something slippy and once it started to slide that was it.

Bike looks like a write off. It hit the road pretty hard and has scraped the engine casing.

It's a 2010 FZ1S which I love, and to make matters worse I am in plaster up to my elbow on my left arm. Only a broken thumb but needed an op to get it back into position. So no riding for at least 6 weeks.

Will need a new bike as soon as I can ride, and will be looking at another FZ, but may test a Z1000SX as well.

Any thoughts on the Z as an option?

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

The Kawasaki Ninja 1000 or Z1000 make good alternatives to the FZ1. It just depends on whether you want a naked one or a faired one. I have ridden both Kawi's and liked them both, but would give the Nod to the Ninja 1000 because of the extra wind protection on long trips and/or colder temps.

Thanks.

I will ride both and make a decision.

I would have kept the FZ long term had I not crashed it, but think it may be an opportunity for a change. Although the Z will have to be extremely good to tempt me away from another Fazer.

Would like a smoother gearbox but apart from that have no complaints about the yamaha.

Darned sorry to learn about your off! Did you not have crash bungs on the frame at all?

The bike is replaceable, but you are not. Thank God it is only your thumb and you'll heal and ride again!

Pics of the damage when you get a chance. Also, what gear were you wearing and how did it all perform for you?

I did have bungs on, but the damn thing snapped of as soon at it hit the Tarmac.

Was wearing Frank Thomas XTI2 gear, which did a fantastic job. Other that my thumb there is not a mark on me. Very impressed and will be buying the same gear when I'm fixed.

Had a Shoei XR1100 lid which didn't have to do much, but will replace that one as well.

The bike is in the shop but will go and take some pics as soon as I can drive. It doesn't look too bad but the damage is to the expensive bits!

What brand bungs were those? I want to be sure I don't buy them! ;) I've hit both sides with the T-Rex sliders and they held their ground. WHEW!

If the frame isn't damaged, engine covers aren't too expensive to replace. getting the broken mount bolt out will be the challenge. Being that new, it would take frame damage to total it I would think.

Awesome on the gear! ATGATT FTW once again! Well done!!

Not sure on brand, they were already on the bike when I bought it. Obviously not worth buying so I will have a look which brand they are and update the post.

Couldn't agree more. I never have and never will ride without full gear on. It just can't be worth the risk.

Sorry to hear that, but glad it wasn't worse.

If given the chance I'd take the opportunity to change myself (I just got my FZ1 and love it, but I'm all about trying new things)

It seems as though there's alot of this happening this season. More so than last year. Sorry to hear but I'm glad that you walked away with only a trashed thumb. I hope the recovery times passes quickly for you and your back in the saddle on your new bike.

Damn, new tyres strike again :(
Sorry to hear about your off.
I wouldn't worry about what frame sliders you have had as I have seen some big damaged caused by frame sliders before.
They are a bit hit and miss at times.

Sux to hear bro. I hope for a speedy recovery for you. Im a Yamaha man myself. I dont ride and FZ1 anymore but its still a Yamaha. I am sure The Kawi is just as fun. Most people wouldnt really recognize the power difference unless they are used to riding in the upper register of the bikes power range.

I think you will find enjoyment on which ever you choose.
I love my sportbike or is it a cruiser? I seem to forget when I start riding.

I was surprised when the shop told me it looked like a write off. At such slow speed I really didn't think there would be much damage. Hopefully I'll find out for definite this week and then at least I can either start looking for a replacement, or look forward to getting it fixed.

Feeling pretty sorry for myself at the moment. Gutted about the bike, can't work and I am a keen golfer but can't do that either. I know it's only short term but seems like a long way off getting back to normal.

Also I'm pretty angry at myself. I consider myself to be a decent rider, and I don't know exactly what happened or if it was just the new rubber, but I shouldn't be sat here typing with one hand.

Also I'm pretty angry at myself. I consider myself to be a decent rider, and I don't know exactly what happened or if it was just the new rubber, but I shouldn't be sat here typing with one hand.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Things happen... could have been some loose stuff in the road, wet stuff... cold and new tires (always go do the parking lot figure-8 scrub-in before riding hard) are prone to some slipping so a gentle throttle hand is a good thing while getting the surface knocked off.

For me, last year it was sand and this year, something petroleum-based. These things happen... I too was gutted both times, especially the first time because it was after adding 6 very custom pieces to the bike which were expensive and having one nicked and two broken. This time, considering what I hit, I'm just happy to be still vertical and taking oxygen. ;)

It will go by quicker than you think. Concentrate on healing up and getting the thumb in working order first. The bike will be ready before you are. :tup:

Don't feel bad, I consider myself an excellent and safe rider, and a patch of lime in a construction zone wiped me out this year. I'm still battling the insurance company over it, but I have already started repairs and am
back on the road! Chin up buttercup! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back